The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carly Berg

Carly Berg Active Member

Maybe you could shut her up with something pretty mild like "I don't know about that but maybe," or "Well, I'm actually pretty liberal but we don't need to get into that here." Then change the topic to something non-controversial. I don't think it's overstepping to politely cut that off. After all, you're not there to be a captive audience for her personal political rants. Good luck with it. She sounds draining. :(

2. Carly Berg

Carly Berg Active Member

Or better yet, just slap the lil beyotch upside the head lol.

Really, though, girls can be meaner than sh*t in an ongoing, get-the-whole-world-involved way. Better to keep it "nice" whenever possible, I think.

Mink likes this.
  3. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

I end up just not responding and letting the conversation fizzle away. She'll keep insisting, but eventually she gets the hint. I'm hoping today goes better.

Iain Aschendale and Oscar Leigh like this.
  4. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Congress does it every day.

5. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

Of course I haven’t seen your dental X-rays, (wouldn’t know what I was looking at even if I had) if those wisdom teeth get impacted they can cause you a whole other world of pain and problems. If you want to keep them that bad, keep them. If they aren’t causing you problems then I’d wonder what the push was too, but when they start causing problems, it only goes in one direction, goes fast, and can go far (far like an infection turning septic). It’s your call, but consider everything.

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

derp

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

If you think you need an intervention you don't - Interventions are for people who don't realise that they need help. Go see a therapist, only a trained medical professional is qualified to help you deal both with whatever this decision is and the underlying causes of you not coping

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  8. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I was trying to show my nephew what gaming looked like when I was a kid, only to find out that over the past 20 or so years I haven't been using it, I've mostly forgotten how to use BASIC.

9. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Can anyone explain why the quality of my DVDs, when played through my Blu ray player - which supposedly has up-scaling capabilities - look far worse than they do when played on my DVD player?

Cave Troll likes this.
  10. Carly Berg

Carly Berg Active Member

Celebrated finishing 4 weeks of a whole foods, plant-based diet with potato chips, fritos, pie, cake, wine, etc. and got sick then slept and slept. We had planned to eat out that night but never made it. I knew it wasn't a good idea but couldn't resist.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Oscar Leigh and Cave Troll like this.
  11. Carly Berg

Carly Berg Active Member

Also, weirdly, the "forbidden" foods weren't that good.

Cave Troll and Oscar Leigh like this.
  12. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Maybe that's why they were forbidden. The package probably said something like, "Are you crazy? Don't eat this! It's disgusting crap! For the love of God, don't put this in your mouth! It's forbidden! (Sewage Chap. 2, Verses 12-14)"

13. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Community Volunteer

They cancelled school today due to a snowstorm. Since I'm losing a day's pay, I figured I'd best devote the time to doing something I can't do on my laptop while I supervise kids at their studies; that is, finish sorting and filing the paperwork cluttering up my home office.

And I'm trying, I really am, but my mind just won't focus! It won't even do it when I go online to read other people's blogs. I keep skipping and absorbing nothing.

And, yes, I went to bed early last night and got eight hours' sleep. Or nine.

My head is full of foam stuffing and I hate it.

Shenanigator likes this.
  14. Catrin Lewis

You don't have to say anything about this if you don't want, but I'm wondering if this about the parasite roommate. Is he still around?

EDIT: From my own experience and from observing other people, I've concluded that when people stay in negative situations, it's because they're getting something good out of them. It might only be a negative good, like avoiding conflict or even confirming one's bad opinion of oneself (which can be perversely comforting). But there's something they're getting from letting things remain the same, and it's something they want and need.

So you need to figure out what that good is, and decide if it outweighs the good you'd get if you do the thing you "know" you need to do. Or decide whether you can get the good payback the bad situation is giving you in another, more positive way. Or make up your mind that "Hey, I don't really need that avoidance of conflict/sense of security/distinction of being the Worst/Ugliest/Most Awful Person in the World. I'm on to something else" and you won't want whatever it is anymore.

It's up to you.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Mink and Shenanigator like this.
  15. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

Weird ending to the room story:

I saw her again today. She asked if I'd thought about it as promised. I said that I had but the answer was still no. "OK, then. Catch you later."

Wow. I'm happy, but slightly weirded out.

Mink, Catrin Lewis and Shenanigator like this.
  16. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

I would say, be happy but prepared for some kind of stunt from her. That "weirded out" thing is your gut instinct protecting you.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  17. big soft moose

I think time has moved on since parasite roomate - we've had an end of relationship, move to a different state, possibly ill advised boyfriend, need to be sectioned, and pregnancy (Not clear on whether that's with the ex, the ill advised boyfriend or a mystery third party). I don't want to be mean but I have never literally never known or come across anyone who's life was so full of drama ... I'd tend to suggest discussing that with the therapist tbh

18. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

Well, we're both leaving tomorrow, and it's too late to change rooms, so my room's in the bag. Hopefully she'll have forgotten about it over the holidays.

Shenanigator likes this.
  19. big soft moose

Heres hoping she doesn't put half a pound of fish in the room in question before she leaves for the holidays :D

20. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

My guess: none of this was personal. She wanted something and she thought she might be able to get it from you. And let's face it, it sounded like at least at some point she had a chance. If she's the kind of person I suspect she is, on some level she understands that it is smarter to keep you on friendly terms (rather than pursue some ultimately hollow vengeance) because there's always a chance that the next time she asks you for something, you'll say yes and stick to it.

21. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

We might have to put down the chicken. =( She started doing well, but last night she started to behave differently with her leg again and today, as far as I can tell, she hasn't moved in her temporary home. She only moves when I take her out and make her walk. Once she's back in she lays down next to the food dish. We're giving her to Friday, but I don't have much hope. I didn't have much hope last week either.

Part of me also feels bad because I want my dad to make that judgement call and not me. I know her chances of getting better are slim to none, but what if? I'm such a wuss.

Cave Troll likes this.
  22. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    All this sad chick business, makes me think of this:

Christina58 likes this.
  23. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I may have to unfriend my boss, and I don't mean in the facebook sense. We were work and social friends before he got promoted a few years ago, and things have continued on a pretty even keel despite his new status. However, since he knows I'm the kind of guy who can keep his mouth shut, he tends to use me as a sounding board, which results in me possibly almost knowing about things I maybe kinda sorta shouldn't. I understand that he needs somebody to talk to, but it puts me in the position of not having anybody to talk to about a whole host of new problems that I have absolutely no control or influence over. Wouldn't be so bad, but he's getting a little Queeg-ish lately, starting to take any general griping about the workplace as a specific challenge to his authority.

And more and more often, I'm getting the feeling that when I speak to him, I'm being managed. Dealt with. Handled.

Which is his job, but this friendship is starting to feel really one-way, top-down, and I think I finally understand, after all these years, why the military has such strict ban on fraternization.

Cave Troll likes this.
  24. Catrin Lewis

Maybe that's what I get for skiving off last fall? Ignorance of all these developments, I mean.

25. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I missed most of them, just hang out in different threads I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.