The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Yes. Just make sure to burn everything together. It'll come out great, believe me.

2. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

jannert and Moon like this.
  3. Moon

jannert and Malisky like this.
  4. Malisky

Only if you're a shifo of coffee, like me. ;)

Moon likes this.
  5. Moon

Coffee Guru, you must share your secrets with me and @matwoolf. We are but children playing with beans and fire.

6. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

If you can't use a kettle, I'm out.

And of course, the only coffee worth drinking is the one that's ninety-nine per cent sugar.

Some Guy likes this.
  7. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Morning coffee should always be strong and black. It's the only way to cover the bitter taste of disappointment and regret that a long nights worth of thinking can accumulate.

8. Malisky

https://pics.me.me/a-new-study-links-drinking-more-coffee-to-a-longer-20430918.png

Gather round my young apprentices. Not you Esther. You are excused.

https://media.makeameme.org/created/sacrilege.jpg

Iain Aschendale and Moon like this.
  9. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

It tastes good. If there is cocoa, my taste buds don't yell for sugar.

I use dark cocoa which has nothing else than cocoa in it.

10. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

That's actually healthy (cocoa without sugar is good for you) and probably tastes good too. Coffee and chocolate are a combo made in heaven! :)

Me? I always drink coffee black. When I first started (when I was in my early 20s) I drank it with a bit of sugar and cream (the American coffee cream, which is basically half-and-half.) Then I left out the sugar. When I moved to Scotland and found that half-and-half wasn't really available, I weaned myself off the cream.

For the past 30 years or so, I've just drunk it black. It's SO much easier, and does actually taste really good. The strength varies. I like it fairly thin (Americano-style) in the mornings and during the day ...not very strong. But I can take it strong as well, and often drink double-espressos when I'm out and about. As long as it's not Nescafe or some other instant coffee abomination, I'm not fussy.

I mainly use a stainless steel stovetop espresso pot, as none of the coffee gets wasted. I just dilute the espresso strength with hot water, as needed. It only takes about 5 minutes to make it, and it gives me 3 or 4 mugs of coffee each time. (Also good for making iced coffee which I also love on a hot day.) I also have a french press pot, but don't use that as much any more.

I've hijacked this thread! :eek: It's supposed to be about being unhappy ...and here I am, happily tucked into my second mug of coffee for the day ...I'll shut up and go away now....

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  11. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

That’s a weird one. If my body is craving sugar, nothing but sugar will do the job.

flawed personality and Some Guy like this.
  12. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

I'm spending a lot more time shouting at the television these days. Hard to believe how poorly served we are by the press and the entertainment industry in this country.

13. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Ack, yeah, that’s why I don’t watch the news. It will drive one to drink. That’s why I read or game instead. :read2:

14. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I switch my tv on by default - don’t even think about it, but then quickly grow frustrated at the complete and utter crap available. These days my tv is used primarily as a means of watching dvds/blu-rays.

15. Alan Aspie

Try it if you want to. You either see effect after 2 weeks or not. If you find any kind of difference after 2 weeks, try 2 more to seek what it feels.

If you don't like the idea, then don't try it.

OurJud likes this.
  16. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Just got off the phone with my agent. Unfortunately, my homeowner's policy doesn't include waterline coverage, and to get it, I'd have to get a whole different policy, at great hassle and greater expense. He suggests I work it out with my neighbor, and if the tree grows and I suffer damage, to take it to civil court.

There's also Round-Up(TM) . . . (he said slyly).

17. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Actually, I thought it was cute that the neighborhood kids played in all the yards, including mine. I liked how they weren't submerged in electronic devices, but were out riding bikes and putting on plays and jumping on next door's trampoline. I drew the line at my back garden--- yeah, you can come get your ball, but leave right away and close the gate--- and it surprised me a time or two when the severely-autistic little boy from across the street walked straight into my house yelling for my cat. But his dad talked to him about knocking first, so it worked out.

These kids are all in high school now, and I miss their activity.

18. jim onion

jim onion New Member

That's why I don't watch TV anymore.

Internet isn't much better though. Getting worse too, 'cause the government goes "muh neo Wild West" and amoral business does as amoral business does.

---

@Catrin Lewis

I can't wait for my children to play with all the other obese children and run around each other's houses on Minecraft.

At least my friends and I would do this old-timey thing called "LAN". And that was when the weather was bad outside or it was too dark to do anything except play Ghost in the Graveyard (some hide-and-seek tag game with flashlights). Nearly knee-capitated myself playing that once. Good times.

19. Malisky

Just paid my new, monthly taxes... I'm devastated. :dead: I still need to pay my monthly tuition, but this will leave me with 0 (minus actually). I think I'm gonna push it back for the time being, for another last time... :whistle:

flawed personality likes this.
  20. jannert

This might be more effective and less noticeable. You'd need to find a time when your neighbour is away, and sneak over. The good thing is, it won't kill anything else, and it will be gradual. Roundup would kill all other plants as well, and it would be obvious somebody has sprayed. This is more likely to look like a natural death ...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Copper-Tree-Stump-Killer-50xV-Large/dp/B00EO1D6IO/ref=asc_df_B00EO1D6IO/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309947856166&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15932639926925080852&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007341&hvtargid=pla-378580613707&psc=1

flawed personality likes this.
  21. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I'd be careful with spikes. Wouldn't want some poor tree removal guy accidentally putting a chainsaw through them. But my grandfather used to use copper sulfide/sulfate (can't remember specifically which) to kill trees he needed to pull. Lift the bark and drill a hole underneath it pointing down towards the roots, dump the copper sulfide in with a funnel and put the bark back over the hole to keep the crystals in and the rain out.

jannert likes this.
  22. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

either will work its the copper that does the damage

23. Alan Aspie

I'm not happy about any idea of poisoning anything from neighbours side.

It's ok to cut roots from your side or to talk about it or to....

matwoolf likes this.
  24. Malisky

I agree with @Alan Aspie . Poor tree. This is a horrible death. It's not its fault for growing there. How about you poisoned your neighbor instead! :superidea:

25. jannert

Yes, that's even sneakier and harder to see. But it might be difficult to lift bark on a sapling?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.