The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

The guys at work are getting each other B-Day cards on their birthday and getting each other to sign it. But my B-Day was a month ago and they all left me out. :cry:

2. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

So... turns out it's a lot darker than my last evening shift! My mother drove me home last night so today is the first time I'm biking home at night in over a month.

The problem wasn't really that the sky was pitch black... but that the cities street lights were dead for the first five minutes of my ride. There was still lights from a few houses and some companies, but for some stretches it was just completely black. My bike light is sort of pity full and I hope it'll be a bit better for the rest of the week.

Did I mention I'm terrified of the dark?

Alan Aspie likes this.
  3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Haha... great show! My wife has been rewatching it, which pretty much means a 24 hour loop on her Kindle, including in bed while we sleep. She does this constantly with half a dozen shows (sopranos, Breaking Bad, Frasier, Curb your Enthusiasm), so for the next three weeks I will be experiencing snippets of Weeds every waking moment (and not waking moments) I'm in the house. Good shit!

4. love to read

love to read Senior Member

But the temperature in the room didn‘t drop? The lights and the tv didn‘t flicker? Then I guess you‘ll be fine. Otherwise:

5. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

Went out to the post office to send a parcel to CT. As I was walking past the car park, I saw a dead kitten laying on the tarmac on the edge of a parking space. It looks like someone has hit them in their car, then just driven away. :cry:

6. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    That sucks.

Shenanigator likes this.
  7. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

When I thought about it, I remembered another much younger kitten that I saw dead on the footpath before. So now I'm wondering if another stray has killed them for some reason.

8. Lemie

I think me and my mother has a stalker at work... he's started acting weird towards her a year ago and me when I started. He always asks a lot of questions and refuse to leave until he got detailed answers. He only talks to us when we're completely alone (most other people he won't even say "hi" to). After the vacation we've noticed how he parks his forklift as close to the ladies dressing room as he can (he parks in one of the factory halls right by the hallway where you find the dressing room). He stands there until we've rounded the corner and then we hear him drive off. When we leave the factory he's driven all the way out to the loading dock and as we pass (a good few meters away) he opens the door. There is nothing coming in or out from the factory during night time. He sits in his forklift by the open door until we've passed a big sign... when we're on the other side the door is closed again and he (I assume) is back doing his actual job.

I guess I'm a bit paranoid... but this guy gives out this extremely creepy serial killer vibe. It doesn't help that it happens night after night so it doesn't feel like a coincidence.

I'm weirdly happy over the morning shift next week.

Cave Troll likes this.
  9. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Hmmm... Best keep an eye on it and have your phone (and a taser) on hand in case he does something. Let your mom know as well.

Well, a coworker accidentally dropped a pan of the atterburg cans I worked on yesterday, thus flushing my work down the toilet

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  10. Lemie

Co-workers... who'd have them?

I hope to get a good job in England. It doesn't have to be well paid... but it has to have decent co-workers!

11. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

Came across a Pro-China vs. Pro-Hong Kong protest. It boggles my mind that people living in a democracy can support a communist regime against people who are assembling and fighting for their rights. Some of them were waving American and Chinese flags. In China, they wouldn't even have the freedom to demonstrate. My guess is they were paid to ignore the cognitive dissonance.

Cave Troll and Shenanigator like this.
  12. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

FLAMMABLE! Do not strike matches!

In academic world, in media, in NGO's, in...

Oh... Not talking about Frankfurt School and Social Constructionism but China and Hongkong...

==> Debate room stuff?

Some Guy likes this.
  13. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

If my post is problematic or you want a debate, you can report it to a mod.

14. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Mod here - both of you are right -

Edamame - if you want to talk about politics, debate room please

Alan - You aren't a mod, please don't go Shutupsky police on people - if you see anything that's not in the right place, just report it and leave the moderation to us

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  15. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

A girl from my sixth form has been found dead in a swimming pool on holiday. It's presumed to have been an accident.

I feel shocked and deeply saddened. She was hardly my best friend, but I knew her well and got on with her. It was boarding school; we all did. We were basically living together. She was in my French class. We had the same name, so the teachers called me by my full name, rather than the abbreviation we both used. There were only three of us in the class, so we talked a lot (admittedly mostly in French, about what the teacher told us to). She was always very cheerful and energetic, and she had lots of friends. I thought she was funny. At the end of the year, she won an award for being the most likely to take the spirit of the school on her gap year, which she was quite surprised about. Now I can't remember what she did, or what she was planning to do next. I can't imagine how her friends must feel, or her two sisters.

There's nothing about it on Facebook; Mum read about it in the local news. I wish there had been. Even though I've spoken to hardly anyone from sixth form since we left, it would have been helpful to have someone to share my feelings with. I wish someone had posted something. Turns out I never even Friended her. I knew I'd left some people out, but I couldn't remember who. I'm still processing my feelings. It's still not going in. I went and looked up the article, just to make sure Mum hadn't got the wrong girl. But there she was: her name, her face, and the name of the school. I still can't believe it. She can't be dead. This kind of thing only happens to strange people from the other side of the country, who I never met and never would have met. She was a good person, and knew how to work hard. She would have been successful. She didn't deserve this.

16. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Sending you good vibes and a hug if you want one, EM. I'm sorry for your loss (and yes, if you're feeling sadness about the loss of a classmate, it's your loss too).

17. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

They usually don't. I went through something similar in high-school. It was rough and confusing, and I hope you deal with it better than I did. Support and condolences.

Shenanigator likes this.
  18. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Aaargh! I was JUST sitting, ready to put a last minute bid into eBay for a pair of shoes I really wanted, and suddenly the site blipped off, and a message appeared saying I was not allowed access to ebay via my server! !!! (Firefox.)

I quickly switched over to Safari, signed into my account, and WAS allowed access ...but the effing auction was over. WTF was THAT?

I have since closed my computer, waited a few moments, then re-started in Firefox. And I'm into eBay again, no bother.

What is Firefox playing at?

19. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

firefox realises you are not a centipede and you don't need another pair of shoes - its acting for your own protection

20. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Don't install the Imelda Marcos app—Firefox will block it.

21. Lemie

I'm getting hellishly nervous about the apartment. I need to get a bid on it... preferably this week. While I'd love for it to rise in price I'm mostly concerned about selling it fast at the moment.

Once the papers are signed I can finally start to plan for the next step of my life.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  22. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Bed-ridden by illness. Kind of embarrassing to say honestly. It's not that I haven't been this sick before, or worse, it's that I just can't focus. Eyes can't decide if they feel better closed or open. Constant pressure in my head. Super weak. I'm a mess.

23. Saphry

Saphry Member

Oh dear, get well soon.

Shenanigator and EFMingo like this.
  24. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Ugh. I remember one time in college I caught something and just lost three days. Wasn't functioning well enough to think about going to whatever they called BAS there, just laid in bed or staggered to toilet. Good luck, don't forget to eat.

Some Guy, Shenanigator and EFMingo like this.
  25. Saphry

Saphry Member

Sending you a virtual hug.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.