The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    This must be the beginning to a horror story. :rofl:

2. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Contest Winner 2022

Could be. I couldn't tell ya, though.

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. Noir

Noir Member

Don't think I haven't considered this. It's a daydream I've fancied on and off for years. With my dad gone and having no kids of my own, I really do have nothing that is holding me back as far as emotional attachments (I still have family I care about, of course, but I'd end up talking to them as much on the road as I do now). But it's still not as simple as that. You still need money for food, gas, propane or some other source of heat, repairs on the road, legalities such as vehicle insurance, a special license to drive certain RVs, plate tags, etc.

The idea of the lone vagabond traveling across the country and writing about his adventures is a romantic one but not a realistic one. For every dozen examples that exist of people having pulled it off, there are three dozen examples of those who wound up in a situation worse than the one they were running from or just plain old ended up dead (mugged, stabbed, shot, killed by wild animals, take your pick).

I also don't necessarily like the idea of shacking up with a group of random strangers hippie-style in order to "live off the land" or rely on the "generosity of my fellow Man". We have those here in Columbus and they're called homeless camps. Darren, a homeless man I often talk to outside of the bookstore I frequent, lives out of a van and as much as I like the guy, his is not a life I would want.

Not to mention that when/if I rejoined "civilization" then I would be coming back to the same problems I have now such as needing/keeping a good job, debt (I still owe eight grand on my current vehicle which has filled me with a lot of buyer's remorse), another take your pick.

No. I think you said it best at the beginning. Life just sucks sometimes. I still have things that other people would envy. People in other parts of the world, my part of the world, and in the city I live in would look on in wonder at the home I live in, the car I drive, my belly full of fast-food because I'm too busy to cook, and they would roll their eyes at my "first-world problems". I'm not the type to dismiss people's problems just because other people have it worse (worst? I don't know anymore) but when it comes to myself, I try to remember that although I'm not as well off as some, I am still better off than most.

Thanks for reading, though and thanks for the birthday wishes. I said that shame before pride would have me sleeping under a bridge before going to certain members of my family for help but the truth is that fear above all would probably make a dramatic liar of me. I have an awkward relationship with my family but it is still a better support system than I've known some people to have.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  4. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I'm just generally unhappy today. Not liking myself today, and I don't particularly know why.

Customer was annoying today. They have a perfectly well working machine that I installed that is well within specifications, but they wont accept it. It's off from the possible internal temperature by .2 degrees C. Mind you, the range of error is +/-1.0 degrees. Some days, man...

I'm not that bad off. Just generally not having it.

5. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Contest Winner 2022

I was all set to go to the store to get stuff to make cinnamon rolls for people tomorrow at the department holiday party, but then my car decided to slide into a curb so hard I got scared I broke the axle and now I am without a vehicle. My insurance is covering the cost of a rental car, though, so that's good, but I'm not sure how soon I can get in to have a vehicle for work. I also don't have anything as a secret santa present for the person I'm ... giving a present to? I don't know why that felt weird, but it did. Anyway, hopefully they'll be okay with me being a little late on getting it to them. The sadder part of this saga is now I'm definitely out 500 dollars, which in the grand scheme of money isn't a lot, but for someone who doesn't actually have a lot, it is a chunk. I'm annoyed. But I ate some pasta about it, so I should be fine in a bit.

EFMingo, love to read and Cave Troll like this.
  6. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    As long as you completed that step, all will be right with the world.

7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Recently, as I was traipsing through life's cosmos, I acquired a Cold. It has settled into my head and is eagerly causing runny nose, frequent sneezing, a sore throat, lack of sleep, and Irritability on a Grand Scale. I hate colds. They make me operate at about 20% usual capacity. Easy tasks suddenly seem as impossible as swimming up Mount Everest when I have a cold. I want it to go away, and I also want to refuse to deal with the world until it does. But I have a couple of responsibilities that must be dealt with before I can burrow into my bedclothes and hibernate.

Argh. That Argh is more than my usual Argh of simple frustration; it's also the noise I make when I try to breathe with a cold.

Fuck this cold.

8. Cave Troll

Why Suess your stories have gotten a tad too real. :p

I hope you feel better soon. :)

Some Guy and minstrel like this.
  9. AlbertAnims

AlbertAnims Member

People keep talking about Geno being in Ultimate, but he's been in only one game! (VS Duck Hunt counts as a separate game, so yeet)

10. D.Clarke

D.Clarke Active Member

This world is hell on earth. And in hell, you don't strive to be the angel. You deal with the demons, as a demon would, and let god sort it out in the end. I'm sure he'll understand. After all, he put us here.

Rockatansky and Cave Troll like this.
  11. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

o_O

Cave Troll and EFMingo like this.
  12. Rockatansky

Rockatansky Banned

I think he'll understand! After all, he didn't have to live with them

Steve Rivers and Cave Troll like this.
  13. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

I have a doctor appointment tomorrow at an out of network hospital. In general, my insurance doesn't cover out of network visits. But when there isn't anyone in network suitable, they have an appeals process to get the visit covered. I just spent most of the day on the phone trying to find out if the appointment was approved or not. I was transferred 9 times, spent a grand total of 2 hours 6 minutes on hold, and ran my phone battery down to 48%. I'm a little cranky now, so insert the hostile sarcastic tone of your choice here.

14. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

At least, did you find out if it gets covered? I hope the calls were free... Reminds me of the time I didn't have internet for 2 months, nor telephone and I had to make calls to my telecommunications company. Oh, the irony. Let's say it wasn't cheap and I hate being on hold. Detest it!

Crankiness is understandableu.

Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  15. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

The approval did go through. Tomorrow is a go. Judging by the accents of the people I spoke to and of the people speaking in the background I was transferred between New England, the west coast and possibly Florida. No wonder no one could find anything.

Cave Troll and Malisky like this.
  16. Dogberry's Watch

So, the car thing happened, and then yesterday while I was driving the rental car, I spun out on the highway, almost getting hit driver's side by an oncoming pick up. Spent most of the day trying to recover from that. Then last night when I got ready for bed, my glasses broke. Got my car back today, but now I have an aggressive cold on top of everything I've already been through this week.

I want the universe to be done with me so I can take a deep breath. I'm looking forward to this weekend so I can do as little as possible while still maintaining my prior commitments.

EDIT: My car insurance didn't cover the repair, so I'm out 425 smackers for that, which isn't bad and it could have been worse, but I'm still irritated that I had to pay out of pocket for it when I already pay them a shit ton for full coverage. The rental car was covered, though, and the tow. So small things matter I guess.

17. Cave Troll

You lived to tell the tale, so there is that. :)

Hope you feel better. :)

Dogberry's Watch and Some Guy like this.
  18. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Pinched nerve in my back is acting up again. It's nothing serious, somewhere in the trapezius near my left shoulderblade, but for twenty years or so it gets bored every so often and decides to act up sending pain all the way up the left side of my neck. Unfortunately, it's morning and Mrs A. has a party tonight, so it's just me and the drugs until midnight or so.

Anybody know what the LD50 for ibuprofen is?

Cave Troll and Malisky like this.
  19. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Sounds like a good night out :D

incidentally ibuprofen is an anti inflammatory - it'll do both halves of jack for nerve pain - you want one of the pain receptor blocking types like paracetamol or codeine

20. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    It helps a bit, but I'll see if I can find some paracetamol. Basically I've got a bit of muscle that cramps up around a nerve, causing pain, which tenses the muscle further, which goes into a nice little feedback loop.

21. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

LD50 is the best part! :p Just take it. It' ll loosen you up for a while. Mesulid though works better for me.

22. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

My restaurant manager quit today. With no notice. Right in the middle of the holiday season. Sure he was a dickless fuckwad, but he did what he was told. Looks like I'm working every day for the rest of my life.

23. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

On the bright side, if you play your cards right it may not be that long.

24. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Beat me to it.

25. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Play my cards right and I'll be the highest paid GM in the city! Sweet, sweet leverage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.