The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

12 hour shift today at work.

I'm already tired and grumpy and my leg's been hurting for a few days so I don't even know if I'll be able to stand all day.

The things we do for people who order shit from internet the last few days before Christmas!
    :supercry:

minstrel and The Dapper Hooligan like this.
  2. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

SHIT! That reminds me - I haven't ordered my brother's present, and we go to stay with my grandmother in two days...

3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I feel kind of shitty from a nerd perspective. :[

-> JK Rowling ousted herself as a transphobe due to her recent tweet.

-> Bethesda continues to be its greedy self being deaf to all its faithful consumers that stuck with them for decades.

-> 'Rise of Skywalker' is out and from what I've seen, the fanbase is now even more divided with both sides insulting each other for daring to either like or dislike the movies/Sequel Trilogy.

I mean, I know I can enjoy the work as they are without caring about the creators or feuds between fans but it's kind of hard right now.

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Still unpaid... He said he's gonna put the money in, on Monday. We made it clear that he was talking about this Monday. I owe everywhere now. Haven't paid anything and time is running out. I'm furious!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Cave Troll likes this.
  5. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

Positive update to my last post: got to go home one and a half hour early... Still paid for full shift!

6. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Woke up at... held out til 0410 before making my way through the freezing apt to the toilet, then stayed in bed after until just after 5. Which is roughly now.

Happy thread: it's the last day of my day job before the holiday break.

7. EstherMayRose

I have a retainer that I've worn at night since my braces came off four years ago, and if I don't wear it for a couple of days then my teeth move around and it hurts when I put it on again. I haven't worn it since I got ill (six weeks ago) and I've been dreading putting it back on. I was right to: I put it on tonight and OH GOD THE PAIN! It has never been this bad before. Why do my lips and tongue hurt? How do they hurt? I hope this doesn't make my gums bleed like they did when I cleaned between my teeth earlier.

8. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

My guess would be your tongue and lips are just showing sympathy and solidarity for your teeth.

EstherMayRose and Cave Troll like this.
  9. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

About to bloody cry.

For the second year in a row, I'm giving a dinner party on Boxing Day (the 26th). Last year I had a full table, nine people. Come at 7:00, eat at 7:30.

This year, due to other commitments, a lot of my usual group can't make it. So I had four people coming, five, including myself.

Saturday, I get a text from the wife of the lone couple, announcing that they have to eat at 6:00. Period. Not "Could you have it a little earlier?" Just "We need to eat at 6:00."

I find out that's her sister's opinion, too. Why? Because "We're used to eating at 6:00, and if we eat lunch at noon like we always do, 7:30 or 8:00 is too long to wait." "So eat lunch later," I didn't say.

We'll skip the part where I reminded her that this is a dinner party, and not just me feeding people because they're hungry. My meltdown aside, guests showing up at 5:30 is way too early for this kind of thing.

But I pulled myself together and accommodated their needs. All right, I said, let's make it a buffet, less formal. Have the food on the table but eat in the living room around the electric fire. Fine.

I rethink the menu. Saturday afternoon, I go to the Aldi and spend a ton of money on buffet food. And I call the remaining guest and get her on line with the time change.

So today I get another text from the wife, and she says, "Oh, we're okay with eating at 7:30 after all. Go back to it being a sit-down dinner party. We'll see you at 7:00." Never mind I now have to ask the other guest to change back to coming later.

If these people weren't my best friends and I hadn't already spent money on food, I'd cancel the whole damn thing. I think they think they can do this because we are friends and they figure I'll do what they want. I don't have the time or mental energy for all these changes. It's given me emotional whiplash. And it's horrendously rude. Who's giving the bloody party, them or me?

And now do I thaw out the beef roast I originally planned to serve and put the big salmon filet in the freezer, or do I serve the salmon and save the beef for later?

I've got two Christmas trees to decorate. Maybe that will restore my festive mood.

T_L_K, Malisky, Rockatansky and 5 others like this.
  10. Catrin Lewis

Tough it out if you can. Or can you go back to your dentist and have him/her adjust it? Don't give up on the retainer altogether, or your teeth will wander all over the place and you'll have wasted the effort you put into the braces. Believe me, I know.

Cave Troll and Dogberry's Watch like this.
  11. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Same. Mine spread back out and I wouldn't even be able to attempt to put my retainer back in. But the guy who did my braces originally messed up my top teeth anyway, so I'd probably benefit from having those invisalign things at some point.

Cave Troll likes this.
  12. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

At least they didn’t ask you to go vegan.

Cave Troll likes this.
  13. Catrin Lewis

Seriously. I like to think I'm up for the challenge, but not at the last minute.

Steve Rivers and Cave Troll like this.
  14. Rockatansky

Rockatansky Banned

This time of year it's supposed to be enjoyed not filled with stress. Why put yourself through this?

I'll just tell them next year one of you is handling it and I'm taking a year off.

Some Guy and Steve Rivers like this.
  15. OmniTense

OmniTense Active Member

1 year old dog has bowel obstruction. Can't afford medical care for him. When I say I can't...I mean literally cannot, even credit-wise. Fed him some pumpkin and some water with polyethylene glycol Feel absolutely destroyed. Merry Christmas.

Nero came at a very important time in my life. I wasn't speaking. I was in a depression so deep that I think only Nero could've saved me. Found his stupid self in a trash can, looking for scraps. Now it looks like he'll leave me the same way he found me.

-SIN

16. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

This reminds me, I haven't done my mandatory longbow practice this week.

17. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

[​IMG]

18. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

I was all ready to come in here and ramble about my woes, but it ain't that important.

I'm really sorry about your dog, omni. :(

19. OmniTense

OmniTense Active Member

It's...I don't know.

Thank you. I'm going to do everything I can for him. He's a good dog.

-SIN

Steve Rivers likes this.
  20. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

So sorry about your pup. I don't know what country you're in but you could try a charity, they may help out money wise. I'm in the similar position with my dog. She's sixteen, and for the last three months has this reoccurring bladder infection that antibiotics are just not clearing up. She's great on them, a few days off them and the infection comes back. I don't know how much longer I can afford to keep treating her and doing tests. Praying this course works. It's lovely to have them but Hell losing them.

21. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Is there anything like the PDSA or the Bluecross in america ? - organisations that provide care FoC for animals where the owners can't afford it.

I know of a guy in texas who does that via his vet clinic though mostly for homeless dogs and cats

Cave Troll and OmniTense like this.
  22. OmniTense

OmniTense Active Member

I'm unaware of any charity at this time that will help me in this situation. I have called an old friend from University. He couldn't promise much if it turns out a resection is needed. He's going to come today and see about him. The little treatment I have provided has had some effect. He's able to use the bathroom a little now, so it's not a complete blockage. I think he swallowed some nylon from one of his destroyed toys. He seems to be in little pain, no distended stomach and is much more active today.

I don't know if I should be optimistic or not. I've lost a dog before to this same problem, long ago. This doesn't seem exactly the same now, albeit, the other dog was considerably older.

-SIN

23. EstherMayRose

Could you start a Kickstarter or something? How much is it for treatment?

24. OmniTense

OmniTense Active Member

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.5 k. I talked to my friend. He told me that nothing indicated the dog was currently at risk, but that I should watch him over the next couple of weeks and control his diet and keep him away from chewing anything inedible, even chew toys. So maybe...maybe I jumped the gun on this. I am neurotic to a fault and am very gunshy about my dog's health. Idk.

-SIN

Catrin Lewis and Steve Rivers like this.
  25. love to read

love to read Senior Member

Phew, so glad to hear that he isn‘t in immediate danger. I hope he gets (totally) well soon. Take care, both of you! :friend:

OmniTense likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.