The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Maybe that's why your writing is terrible? It's hard to write well on less than three hours of sleep.

2. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Currently Reading::
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Presuming you are accurate about the quality of your writing (and keep in mind that no sane writer ever really likes their writing) the fact that you see flaws in it means you see opportunities to improve it. Don't give up -- go back and fix it to the best of your ability, then fix it again, and again, till you can't realistically find anything to fix; then you will be in a place to evaluate it.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

and stop drinking - mixing alcohol with anti depressants does not help your mental state

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. The Piper

The Piper Contributor Contributor

Thanks both. And moose, all I can say is sorry, I know, and I'll work on it. Thankyou

Some Guy likes this.
  5. Zeppo595

Zeppo595 Contributor Contributor

I'm not feeling good. I suck as a writer. My stories are just ideas that are intriguing, I can't get them down. I don't have the patience nor the concentration.

I lost my job and I guess I'm okay now but I just realised this situation is gonna drain all my finances and I'll never be able to go back to the job again. So I'm kinda just delaying really focusing on this situation and avoiding it, I don't wanna think about what it means. But I should be more proactive instead of using this as an excuse for University life part 2.0.

I live with my 'girlfriend' who has completely lost interest in me, even since before the covid thing. This has just made it worse. I don't actually know if it's worse living completely alone or with a woman who has fallen out of interest in you (not gonna use the word love since that's not what this is). She is moving back to her home country soon so I guess I'll find out. I suppose the utter despair I have thinking about her is at least something tethering me to another human being.

All the usual advice of there's plenty more fish in the sea and all that don't really work when you can't leave the house.

I don't even give a fuck about this idiotic and self-indulgent writing I do anymore. I suck. I'm nothing.

Oh I guess I have my kindle and my netflix and my food to keep me entertained but come on...this isn't living.

I know that these lame little moanings are nothing compared to what is going on in the world right now and the suffering others have.

flawed personality and Some Guy like this.
  6. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Well, you know what they say about art... it's something that doesn't exist and nobody needs.

Hammer, Some Guy, Cave Troll and 2 others like this.
  7. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Either everything is art or nothing is.

8. Homer Potvin

I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. Nobody gets to have a monopoly on pain and anguish. It's not a contest. I hope things get better for you. If there's a good thing coming out of this craziness, it's that everyone gets a chance to reassess what's important to them. And to see what they're made of inside. Call it an existential timeout... if all the routines, comforts, and familiarities that used to define us disappeared, leaving us only with time and existence, we would turn out to be....

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

nul and void?

10. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    First world whinge? Not Happy? Whatever.

Went out to dinner on Friday. Yup, everything is still open here, so it must be safe, right?

Right?

Anyway, the restaurant had the new spring menu out. Place is an izakaya, a Japanese pub, so there aren't really descriptions of the food on the menu, just the name.

I ordered something called "Tomato Curry Pasta." I like tomatoes, I like curry, I've had and made tomato-based curry before, and it sounded like a good combination with pasta. Why not?

They forgot to mention that it was loaded with clams. Some sort of little shellfish, clams oysters mussels whatever I don't know the difference because they aren't food! Do I look like a damn sea-otter?

You'd think that if you were going to put something on the menu with lots of little clams (still in their shells, mind you) on it you might want to let your customers know as even in Japan they're a polarizing food item.

And the pasta was dry and mealy and nasty as well.

Homer Potvin, Rzero, Some Guy and 4 others like this.
  11. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

I may be wrong here, but I think you just described the average day of most on this site under this isolation shit.
    My days are much the same, minus the writing, alcohol and antidepressants. Though my comfort food has been skittles, instead of frazzles.
    Blame the frazzles. The problem is in their name. Sue them. :p

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

:superwhew: taking a breath.
    Hugs for everybody!
    :friend::love::friend:

Rzero, love to read and Cave Troll like this.
  13. Millamber

Millamber Senior Member

I think you have yourself highlighted what you need to do in your own post, however hard it will be during this isolation. Clean up your diet, get some exercise, cut out the alcohol (as Moose said, don't missed with AD's!) and try and make improvements on your sleep schedule.

Although it is tough when in lockdown. I myself said i'd start eating better and exercising last week... but i ate like food was shortly going to cease to exist, went for one walk, and drunk enough beer to open my own brewery. Although that being said, I have no alcohol in the house and I shall therefore be having a sober day today, with the aim of waking up feeling nice and fresh tomorrow, I'll do some exercise or go for a walk, then do some DIY (boring!).

Time to make changes, starting today (for me at least!)

flawed personality and The Piper like this.
  14. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Slept like shit. I can't stay in bed any longer though.

15. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

I'm beginning to see a pattern here...

Dogberry's Watch likes this.
  16. Homer Potvin

Haha... don't get me started on Asian theories of menu construction.

I take it you're not a fan of clams. I love them myself, but I grew up in the land of clams... Family Guy didn't name the town Quahog, Rhode Island for nothing!

17. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

I'm having a nasty cold... but it seemed we've sort of outlawed having a cold so I think we're supposed to treat it as if it's the Corona virus.

Either way. I'm at home for the time being! Seeing how Lost works from home and we've got foods for a week or more - I guess we might as well be trendy enough to call this a quarantine!

That said... I've been working a lot of overtime in a really cold environment... Where people keeps coughing and sneezing without covering their mouths... and blowing their noses without washing their hands... and where nothing gets cleaned anymore. Of courses people are going to get sick!

Now, if you excuse me, I have a lung to cough up.

Some Guy and flawed personality like this.
  18. Homer Potvin

Yeah, that's not good. People in New York were doing that too, now a few thousand of them are going to die.

19. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Oh, no. Can you keep warm enough at home?

I was reading something the other day, I think it was some legit site like the Mayo Clinic or WebMD, that said that being cold really does make you more susceptible to viruses, etc. That's ironic, because only recently the official wisdom was that cold temperatures had nothing to do with it.

Anyway, stay warm. And drink lots of chicken soup. It really does help.

Some Guy and Lemie like this.
  20. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

Our living room is always warm, so I'll be alright.

I'm not sure if the cold itself makes it easier to get sick - but it sure feels that way.

We don't really have anything to do at work - and before the virus became a big thing here they were cutting our hours. So it feels like we're just being run down, waiting to get sick or for the company to shut down.

21. Homer Potvin

Keep the hits coming, please:

Blue Cross is not going to waive employer contributions for our health insurance, so I'll be paying for that out of pocket with no job soon.

Unemployment has yet to clear, as the system went up in flames when they put 30k Rhode Island restaurant workers out of work in a single afternoon. So no money coming in from there either.

My wife is a nurse and they're thinking of converting her facility into a COVID-19 ward when the hospitals fill up next week. They ran out of surgical masks yesterday by the way. She should be fine though, so long as she doesn't have to breathe.

What else? Oh, yeah, stocks and retirement fund are still circling around the toilet. Can't see my folks, who are at high risk because of their age. SBA loans to get the business running again are likely moot because we won't be able to open the fucking doors until mid May at the earliest.

Hey, at least I have sports to distract me. Oh, wait, no I don't.

So, yeah... you call this a storm? I'm disappointed.

22. love to read

love to read Senior Member

I join and send hugs too, just take one if you need it and stay safe and sound!
    :superidea:

upload_2020-3-30_23-56-37.png

Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  23. Millamber

Millamber Senior Member

1 - Being/feeling royally stitched up by management at work and at a loss of what to do about it
    2-Being fully aware that many industries worldwide are currently collapsing, so feeling like I can't moan about my situation, especially considering I have a job, and I'm not frontline hospital staff putting their lives at risk on a daily basis, etc.

Is 11.55am too early for multiple beers?

24. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Better not unless you had an eggs, bacon, chips and cheese breakfast, 'cause first goes cholesterol and then follows alcohol. There's a reason these words rhyme together.

25. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

$1.69 a gallon gas and no place to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.