The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

That is usually the issue...

2. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Just found out my liver's fucked. Not a surprise, really, given the work environment and maintenance schedule, but still not terribly excited about the impending overhaul.

3. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

CDC: hey guys, how about we don't do this for the benefit of our health
    USDA: hey guys, how about we not plant foreign seeds of unknown origins until we know what they are

America:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  4. Accelerator231

Accelerator231 Contributor Contributor

What's the worst invasive species?

Kudzu?

5. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Human I believe.

6. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

My cat had to be put down. He was in a lot of pain and very scared.

Rest in peace, little buddy. I love you and I'll miss you.

7. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

So sorry. How old was he?

Night Herald likes this.
  8. Night Herald

Thank you. He was round about ten.

9. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Very sad, I feel for you.

Night Herald likes this.
  10. Night Herald

Thank you.

11. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

:friend:

12. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

I need to upgrade all my communication devices asap. Problem is that involves a ton of research, and then a ton of money after the fact. I'm not currently in a stable enough place to deal with either of those things right now. Isn't life fun.

Rzero and Xoic like this.
  13. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Cockroach in the apartment tonight. Killed it, but that means tomorrow is bug bomb day, as is Thursday the 13th.

Roaches have a ten day hatching cycle and the egg case protects the larvae from poison, so you should always bomb 10-12 days apart.

Sigh. Fucking southern climate.

Rzero, Malisky, Catrin Lewis and 2 others like this.
  14. J.T. Woody

Im too impatient for videogames...
    Im surprised i havent destroyed the system in rage/frustration yet :mad:

I aint a quitter either, so the rage and frustration shall continue.....

15. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

What are you playing?

16. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Oh, no. That's a hole in the heart. :friend:

17. J.T. Woody

Spyro remastered. Decided to go down memory lane.... Mistake. Im not patient enough (anymore) for games like this.

ETA: my brother beat the trilogy in like a week. Then gave the game to me. Ive had it for months and am only like 78% done with the FIRST GAME.....

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  18. Catrin Lewis

Got a Not Happy, maybe it's not that big, but I need to vent.

I'm in communication with my niece in a city 1,200 miles away, concerning my mom/her grandmother, who lives down there and who had some medical issues this past week. Mom's ready to go to a rehab center, as soon as my niece, who holds medical power of attorney, gives the go-ahead.

Well, twice since this business started I've had to text her about what's going on, because her phone isn't taking voice messages. The other night at 9:30 PM her time, after I'd filled her in, she texted me she had to get to bed. I acknowledged that and said, okay, tomorrow, whereupon she sent a snide reply about oh, I just had to text her again, did I?

Then about an hour ago my mom's caseworker called saying she hadn't been able to get hold of my niece all weekend, and could I pass on the info to her. So I do, via text again, and this time I get a rude message about how she'd appreciate it if I would show her the courtesy not to call or text her when she's at work.

Well, hellsbells, girl, I don't know what your schedule is! She's a waitress, I don't know when her shifts are, or even when the restaurant is open. All she had to reply was, "At work. Thanks." If there's a No Texting or Calling rule when either of us are at work or otherwise tied up, I wouldn't have been able to give the caseworker's message till nearly 8 PM her time tomorrow.

I messaged her on Facebook (and I hope to God she doesn't have those notifications on full blast) and pointed out as nicely as I could that I don't know what her schedule is, I was not being discourteous, and I suggested, also as nicely as I could, that she let me know when I may call or text her.

Yeah, my little feelings are hurt. Frankly, I think it's her own damn fault for apparently having a text notification signal so loud it might as well be her phone ringing. Can't she put it on vibrate at work or at night?

Besides, I thought one of the great things about texts was that you could send them even when the recipient isn't free to chat, and they can pick them up later. That's how it is with my phone. It gives a highly-ignorable ding. In fact, I rarely know I have a new text unless I open my phone and see the orange alert on the icon.

But I guess that's not how it works. :bigfrown:

19. Rad Scribbler

Rad Scribbler Faber est suae quisque fortunae Contributor

Currently on two weeks annual leave. The problem is I'm now into the second week - the first week flew by so quickly :(

love to read and jim onion like this.
  20. jim onion

jim onion New Member

A little annoyed that the collector's edition for Weathering With You that I'd been long anticipating, seems to only include a 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc, but not a standard blu-ray disc, which means it is incompatible with my current blu-ray player.

Oh, and for it to actually be displayed properly, you also need a compatible TV. I'm not home at the moment, so I cannot confirm whether my TV is, in fact, built for 4k UHD. I'm pretty sure it is, we just got it a couple months ago, but I need to double-check.

If it is, then I guess that means I'm buying a new, fancy blu-ray player to see what all the 4k UHD hype is about. I'll keep the old one and use it to play my regular blu-rays, I guess. Just disgruntled by the inconvenience. It's like if one of the biggest albums of the decade came out, and the "collector's edition" only came with a fucking vinyl. Who in the Hell does that. Just take the time and include a standard CD for us peasants. Christ.

Well, that's my stupid first-world gripe, for the day. @Catrin Lewis My father went through something similar with his family. The short of it, is that it was later discovered that my dad's sister, who was refusing to be cooperative about the estate and was stealing money from her own father (taking advantage of his alzheimers), wasn't blood-related to my grandfather, only my grandmother.

The point being: I have some idea of the way in which these familial disagreements on how to handle tough situations can damage families, taking a bad situation and turning it into a Hell for no effing reason. A bunch of skeletons came tumbling out of the closet like an episode of Scooby-Doo, and now my aunt (who is my... step-aunt? I don't even know anymore lol) is a disowned thief, and I haven't seen her for almost 10 years. So I really hope that you can get things worked out.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  21. Catrin Lewis

Oh gosh, doesn't it?

Rad Scribbler likes this.
  22. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I went on semester break around Christmas but then our next semester went to online classes. It's not vacation, but I haven't seen my coworkers in over eight months.

I'm quite okay with that in several cases :)

Rad Scribbler and Rzero like this.
  23. iowawriter

iowawriter Senior Member

I'm not sure I have the exact meaning of melancholy correct, but I think that's what I'm feeling right now.

I always feel this way in August as this is a time of transition. Football, volleyball and cross country are having camps this week with actual practice starting next. Cascade teachers report next Monday with classes starting on the 13th. College kids are going back (at least some of them) and there are back-to-school ads everywhere.

And I like autumn. After spring it's my favorite time of the year. When I was with the newspapers I was excited for the fall sports to start and things would pick up in regards to my assignments and hours. USA Today once ran an article on how the start of school is the "real" New Year's for many people. That's true, especially in communities such as Cascade where the school is a vital part of the town.

But even then, I would feel sad that summer was over and I'm feeling that now. The days keep getting shorter and (eventually) colder. As stressful and awful as 2020 has been, at least we had some summer. Now it's time for the "new year" and its unknowns are scary to me. I just want to make it to spring. All I can do is work hard and hang on. But first, I have to get rid of this melancholy.

Sorry for the long post.

24. J.T. Woody

Yep, so job's haunted.
    Me being hit with a book was not the only happening.
    My coworkers shared some stuff thats happened over the weekend and now we know its at least 3 "spirits"

(We have a patron counter and toward the end of the day when we are locking up, it always counts 3 more "people" then who is in the building.... Also, our security has called us saying they detected movement in one part of the building towards the end of the day when we set the alarms)

love to read and Rzero like this.
  25. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

When I was seventeen, I worked at a haunted sandwich shop. People heard noises. Doors that were propped open with heavy objects slammed shut. Food got knocked off of shelves in the walk-in. It was pretty weird.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.