The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Wow! You must have a lot of humidity there to feel so hot.

2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

I just want to say - whoever said these things to you is vile.

Rzero likes this.
  3. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

I was going to put this in the "things that annoy you, but shouldn't" thread, but thinking on it - it should annoy me, goddammit!

So, after having waited six weeks for a appointment with a bank to open a business account, last week, I turn up.

Branch is shut. OK... maybe I've got the wrong day. Check email. Nope, right day. Get straight back in taxi and go home.

Ring bank. Spend 4 hours on hold. Finally get through, they say they'll get the branch manager to call me back.

An hour later, manager rings me. Tells me that appointment should never have been made in the first place because the staff member left ages ago and the branch has no business managers there any more!

Blaaaaaaaargghhhh.

4. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I'm beginning to think that I'm not wrong in being a sweaty, confused mess:

August 20th.png

That's 98.6 with a heat index of 111.2f for y'all USians. And this is one of the days when I have to walk a half hour each way to work.

Dogberry's Watch and Malisky like this.
  5. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Sounds like you need a car....

6. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    God, 200 bucks a month for parking, plus insurance, gas, car payments, zero free parking... No thanks.

7. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

More of a "well shit!" Moment than a not happy, but I saw a post mixed in with the memes that said: have you ever met someone great and all you can think about is how much it'll hurt when they leave? My gut reaction to that is "well, don't think about the leaving, then???" But the more I think about the quote as a whole, there are a few people I'd apply it to. I miss them and it hit me today just how much.

jannert likes this.
  8. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Grinching about the interface changes that get dumped on us by sites we rely on. Facebook. Our email providers, etc.

Been wrestling with the new Facebook layout crap overnight. And have to deal with my new email interface as well ...which has not improved a damn thing, and has made several things I regularly do with my email either impossible or much more fiddly. I used to be able to just click "Mark as Spam" which was in the menu bar while I was reading my Inbox, and that was it. Now I have to click on "More" and open a new window, which allows me to mark something as Spam. Moving an email from my Inbox to a specific folder now takes two clicks, one hover, and a scroll instead of 1 click and a scroll. This is an improvement? I don't think so....

I did attempt to deal with the new Facebook layout, which will be forced on us in September, but quickly switched back when I realised they've removed our Friends list. Some of our Friends (like around 20) are now displayed in 'Contacts,' while the others are ...where? Dunno. Certainly not in the Friends section, where I can find a list of wannabe Friends and People I May Know, but not the Friends I actually already have.

Just heard from another person who has discovered she can't move photos from one Album to another any more in the new layout.

Just GRRRRR....

You'd think, in this time of political upheaval and Covid, when folks are relying on things like Facebook and Email to stay in contact with friends and family and employers, etc, that they'd stop mucking with the interface and forcing us to re-invent an inferior wheel? Surely they could add in the option to use Dark Mode, which some people really like, without crapping up everything else at the same time?

And what's with the round profile pics? It has screwed up people's photos. I now have at least one Friend with only one eyeball showing.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

9. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

My parents are visiting.
    I love them and im super happy that they are here... But they are having issues with each other. I went out with my mom today, and she vented about my dad. About their arguments and how unhappy she is.

I want to be a good person and listen, because i know she needs to talk to someone, and i know shes sad, and i know im that person for her.... So i suck up my own discomfort and sadness and listen....
    It also sucks that im that person for my dad too...so i listen to his side and i just feel caught in the middle.

Older brother says he just ignores them. I cant just ignore them. It feels wrong. I also dont WANT to ignore them.

Ahhhh! Im going crazy! :cry:

10. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Started a fight tonight on accident. Let my emotions get out of control. But it also made me realize I've been trying to make something happen that isn't going to, so there's a bonus, I guess. Doesn't stop it from being heartbreaking.

marshipan, EFMingo and J.T. Woody like this.
  11. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Man, I've been in that exact situation. My parents did this to me a lot before and after they divorced five years back. They were both hurting and talked to me more openly than they should a child. Fun times.

Catrin Lewis and J.T. Woody like this.
  12. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Sooo...

Not sure if I just saw a dead person, but when I was leaving the neighborhood, I saw two police cars and a fire engine, soon accompanied by an ambulance pulling up.

When I got by, I took a glance and saw what appeared to be an old man lying in the grass on his side.

No wrecked cars, nothing. Just him on the ground.

13. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Bicycle, then?

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  14. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Large time-spans don't mean much, honestly. I could spend five years practicing guitar once a week or twice a day. The latter will have marked improvement (hint: I did the former and never learned to play guitar). Though if you walked up to one of these creators you mentioned and said: "So it only took you five years to get this good, eh? And natural talent took you the rest of the way?" She'd either laugh or cry in your face. Maybe a mix of both.

I hope you find a creative outlet that you at least enjoy. Or maybe you'll stop writing for a while and come back to it. I did. Frankly I think too few people create. My theory is that's why there are so many haters on social media (I know I get bummed out when I only consume). It's especially bad because people often always expect more than an intrinsic reward for most creative pursuits, so they usually don't see a reason to do things if there's no peer-proven success or general profit.

jim onion likes this.
  15. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Yup, 24 speed Giant cross-bike (or maybe "hybrid"? Whatever your local term for a mountain bike riding profile with skinny street tires and gearing is).

16. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Iain: I'll take weather for a hundred, Alex.

Alex: This weather condition is indicated by a yellow circle on a light blue background.

Iain: Oh, that's easy Alex. What is a "torrential thunderstorm"?

Alex: Yes! You nailed it!

<Iain claps soggily>

17. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I'm back from traveling for a funeral. I'm not upset about the funeral, or the days afterward in mourning and spending time with family. I'm upset at coming back to the grind. I forget how much I love Minnesota as a home, especially during the summer. I'm quite isolated out here in California, though I've lived here for near eight years now, and I miss the change of seasons and the storms. The dull dust bowl of a city I live in outside of San Diego never has been me, and likely never will be. But it is home, no matter what I feel. It's at displaced times like these that one feels as if they lack a home. They feel listless, hovering between places with no real attachment or care.

I'm supposed to be posting responses for my class, but I struggle to find patience or interest. I'm not myself today for sure, and doubt I will be for some time.

18. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Wherever you go, there you are. Give yourself some time.

19. Dogberry's Watch

This is some of my favorite advice anyone's ever given me. Sometimes it's hard to remember that I can't do everything right away and that I need to allow myself to adjust to a change before I can go forward.

On topic:

The guy I dislike heftily returns to work on Monday. I'm already irritated by whatever condescending shit he's going to do, but I'll be prepared because we've been doing really well without him. So we don't really... need him.

Catrin Lewis and J.T. Woody like this.
  20. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

The day I decide to sleep in past my usual 530am wake up I'm greeted with a screaming ring in my ears. Thanks tinnitus for reminding me I have no actual control over my sleeping hours...you can stop now...oh you're here to stay? Sure, take as much space as you would like...

21. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I'm lucky I guess. My tinnitus will keep me up all night, but once I pass out it goes down with me.

EFMingo likes this.
  22. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Woke up with an annoying high frequency thing in my left ear...never heard this specific sound before, so I hope it goes away.

Iain Aschendale and EFMingo like this.
  23. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I live in an area where amish romances and crime fiction are major (if not the only) food group of the reader variety.
    Nothing wrong with either of those... Ive read a few amish romances and they were ok.... But when you're in charge of ordering materials for the entire fiction collection.... It kind of limits the things you can/want to order.

Unfortunately, sci-fi/fantasy, speculative, and worldly fiction (such as an author with a clearly NOT european name or set in a different country) are too out of the box for this demographic....

24. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

This kind of thing makes me so mad. Are there still troglodytes around these days who will not only think such things but also say them?? Especially with everything that's going on? Even with COVID and everything, there's no excuse for it.

J.T. Woody and Iain Aschendale like this.
  25. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

That's weird...I would have thought that these things are determined by age or sex, not geography.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.