The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Kind of funny if you think that his greatest influence was the debut novel "Mrs. Bridge" by Evan S. Connell.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  2. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

@Catrin Lewis let me give you a hug. Can't do much more (I'm going into quarantine as soon as I get back home from training and no, I'm not happy about that because of so many reasons... ) but I really hope you and your sisters manage to show each other that all of you care, and you'll get through that together.

:friend:

Catrin Lewis and J.T. Woody like this.
  3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

In what context are you focusing?

4. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Ordering new releases for the over all fiction collection (library)

5. Homer Potvin

Oh, I thought you meant "business" stuff like querying, inspiration, etc...

In that case, who cares what everyone else thinks? Read what you want... most of it is dogshit anyway.

6. J.T. Woody

Unfortunately, ordering books for a whole library system... My own person preferences dont matter :superfrown:

Boss says im ordering too many "no named" authors, so now i have to write a report about it...

Homer Potvin likes this.
  7. Malisky

A report upon what exactly? Why you order "no named" authors? Your views about their creations? Or is it something as mundane as a report on sales?

8. J.T. Woody

Why i order them (how i decide what to order)... How much money i dedicate to "no names"... Statistics on how much of the (local) population read certain genres and who are the most popular authors to this area. I guess, all of that makes sense....but id be missing out on other great books and authors by not branching out.
    The thing is, i get a monthly catalogue from our vender highlighting the new releases. I can see books being release in 2021 and read reviewes! Im also subscribed to journals. I dont just pull these books out of thin air (which is what i think he thinks)

(End rant, lol)

9. Homer Potvin

Ohhhh. For a library? Cool! Or not cool in this case.

How to library's support themselves? State funding and endowments? Overdue fees? Is the mission to attract as many borrowers as possible? To be the coolest library in town?

I'm just curious... your book ordering would normally be a business decision, but it's not a business.

10. Malisky

Then this report is a good thing then. It'd be a bad thing if you ordered books randomly and couldn't justify your course of action but since you can, then he might learn a thing or two from your point of view. Might turn out for the best. I'd get creative on it. :)

J.T. Woody likes this.
  11. J.T. Woody

Taxes.
    Our mission is to support learning and to build a community of readers.
    We aim to inspire the community through our diverse and inclusive collection
    (Can you tell ive practiced that, lol)

12. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

OK, not quite so Not Happy today. Talked to someone else at the skilled nursing place and my prior informant was wrong: They certainly can set me up a window visit with my mom this coming Saturday. Apparently they use the physical therapy room, that has a glass viewing panel.

That's something. What still gives me pause is the lady at Mom's independent living place who tells me we have till mid-November to move Mom's stuff out, so there's no hurry.

Well, thanks for the communication, Ms. Niece. Too late to arrange for vacation time now: my flight and car rental are booked for Saturday at the crack of dawn.

The only real reason to do it now is because my elder sister, my niece's mom, was planning on driving down anyway, before this crisis with my mom happened. She wouldn't be able to come again later.

Oh, well. If, God willing, Mom can get into an assisted living place where we can actually see her, maybe later this fall I can use my vacation time and drive down. That's what I'd rather do, anyway.

13. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

To what degree do cardholders' requests influence your purchasing decisions? And how much money is or can be devoted to what you might call classics, or older books? Is there a balance to be struck between purchasing the latest teen vampire romance and say a George Eliot novel that you don't have?

14. J.T. Woody

Cardholder requests? Anything as long as its not independently/self published, and not a textbook.... And not over $50 (they were pretty adamant about that).

Budget? Im just given a lump sum each year with the direction of "have at it!"
    (I've asked those questions in the beginning and was told "use your best judgement").
    I dont order Childrens or YA. Only Adult. Teen vampires would be another department :bigwink:
    I have not had to order classics... I dont order the rereleases or annaversary editions, especially if we already have any version of the title already.
    At one point, when Bird Box came to netflix, i was instructed to order like 20copies. Now that the sequel is out (Malorie), i ordered 15 copies, and got chewed out....
    So... After 2 years, i am still learning the dos and donts. The previous person who ordered adult fiction literally quit.:dead:

15. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

The rate trad pub is falling apart, your library might want to reexamine its policy against independently published books. Besides, how do they think the trad publishers got started? It's not like there's some kind of apostolic succession.

Mark Burton likes this.
  16. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

So how many times does a book have to be requested for it to be purchased?

17. J.T. Woody

Idk. Its only happened once before i started working there. The director was against ordering erotica. Then 50Shades became popular and they got so many requests for it that they caved.
    People still bring that up...

I havent run into that (yet).

This adds to my frustration :(

I like my job and all. I like helping people; helping with their needs, recommending materials and talking about books. The technical side of it... Im not liking as much as i thought.
    With my new degree, i could move up and become a manager and change how things are being done, but im still new to everything and not confident in myself to make that move....

So i complain on the internet :p

18. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

No I'm just talking about any book. Is one request enough for a book to be ordered?

19. Homer Potvin

Overrated!

20. J.T. Woody

Oh. Yep, one request

21. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Our Lord and Savior spent a while talking about how George Orwell sent the nation into a panic when he read The War of the Worlds on the radio and my manager said he didn't think that was right. OLAS did a random noise of noncommittal disagreement and I just, "maybe Orson Welles?" And my manager said, "that's right! Man, I couldn't remember. Dogberry gets 1000 points for the day. Let's all chip in 20 bucks for--"

Then Olas said everything is made up and the points don't matter which, props to him for making a reference to Who's Line, but he had just spent so much time lying about a work procedure to my boss before he tried to say George Orwell was the... He then spent fifteen minutes telling us all about how no one could empathize with the people who lost someone on 9/11. It took everything I had in me not to say something about how people know what it's like to lose someone to a senseless tragedy, which is what he is, and that his mother should have swallowed.

22. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Have you talked about this guy on here before?

23. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

A few times.

24. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Had to turn on my furnace yesterday. 34F this morning. Not happy.

25. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

That's so cold. What was the temp outside?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.