The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Currently Reading::
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Got up early to do some "serious" writing but found only a blank screen that stayed that way, pulled up an old novel draft to see how it seems, found it sophomoric and tedious, recalled Dr. Samuel Johnson's observation that "Only a fool writes for anything other than money," and realized I'm unlikely to make any money with this drivel, so all in all it's been a tedious and depressing morning.

2. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

Dr. Samuel Johnson sounds like a right fucking killjoy.

3. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

NigeTheHat likes this.
  4. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Burned my cashews while making dinner tonight, and for a while it didn't smell that bad, but it's been steeping and now the house smells a bit funky.

5. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

I dreamed a dream I didn't like to dream, woke up and felt shocked. I went to sleep again, I was in between dreaming and somewhat-awake, so I was seeing a dream and try to come up with stories inspired by it, but all of my ideas seemed outright boring, like I couldn't think of anything new (from what I had thought before) or interesting. I felt like giving up writing. It was horrible :cry:

6. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

I hurt. I got up to hit the snooze bar on the alarm clock this morning, tripped over a dog, and fell face first into a little step thing we got so the older dogs would have an easier time getting on the bed. I bloodied my nose, busted my upper lip, and somehow there’s a small gash on my gums right above my front teeth.

It was dark, so I don’t even know which dog I tripped over, I tried to step over, and the dog jumped up.

I guess the up side is I didn’t break my glasses, didn’t break my nose, or knock out any teeth. But what the hell was the dog doing on the floor? We let them on the bed; it helps keep the heating bills down in the winter.

7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

To sabotage you, obviously.

Cave Troll likes this.
  8. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

My former next-door neighbour passed away with the coronavirus. I couldn’t quite believe it when I heard the news. Feel really bad for his family right now. I hope they’re coping. They meant the world to him. :(

9. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

My neighbor died tonight. He was from Pittsburgh; he always pronounced bush boosh. I feel terrible for his wife and his little yorkie. He was a great guy and I'm so sorry to see him go. I don't know what got him; he wasn't too old but he'd had a hip replacement and he wasn't necessarily in the best of health either. He was the salt of the earth though, he really was. He'd been a professor of turf at the university here. I think he went over to Scotland one time to see the golf courses, but he could have cared less about the golf. His wife said that when she married him she expected the most beautiful lawn, but I guess in the house of the cobbler the children go without shoes. His lawn was pretty average. She always laughed when she told me that. They'd had some sorrow too--their son was shot a number of years ago. I don't mean to give you his life's story but it's a little hard to believe.

10. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Life is a fragile thing isn’t it? You don’t know if you’ve just seen someone for the last time before they pass.

Just heard that a fellow coworker, a driller named Kaleb Hamilton, was murdered by his deranged fiancé, shot multiple times last weekend.

11. NobodySpecial

I got in to work this morning, and the snow removal people hadn’t been to clear the parking lot. Right off I set about clearing the four spots in front of my store, the one handicapped spot for our end of the building, and the sidewalk. Now there’s a daycare center next to our stripmall, not part of it, but next to it. They don’t have much parking over there, so I never begrudged them some overflow, it’s pretty cramped quarters in their lot, which hadn’t been cleared either. Drop off and pick up only run about 20-30 minutes anyway. So when they came over demanding I shovel out more spots for their clients, someone was told to eat shit, choke, and die. Their people don’t belong over here in the first place. I did all that shoveling for my customers, not theirs.

Iain Aschendale and Cave Troll like this.
  12. Link the Writer

Not gonna lie, I'm starting to lose hope. Hope that we're ever going to be rid of COVID. I've been wearing a mask for a year now at work, the only one at work to do so and trying not to feel like a freak of nature doing it. I haven't been to Waffle House in a year. I haven't been to Starbucks in a year.

I'm not a man that is ready to give up. Indeed, I'm the exact opposite. I only give up long after everyone else had, but there's only so long I can keep at this. How much longer? How much?!

I can't keep going. I can't. At some point, I just need to quit. I can't keep doing this forever. And judging by how America is handling this...

...My country is never getting rid of this, is it?

13. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

The world is probably not going to get rid of it, from what I can tell. It seems likely that we'll have covid season and annual vaccines and all that. But there's nothing stopping you from going to Starbucks or Waffle House, is there? I'll bet Alabama's restrictions aren't too tough.

14. Link the Writer

Well, no, it isn't, but my family would rather like it if I didn't go. Simply because I live with them, and some of them are of advanced age.

15. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

You could make your own waffles.

16. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

A waffle delivery, perchance!?

17. Link the Writer

I don't know whether to say you're a genius, or say that I'm so goddamn stupid.

Not even being sarcastic. I'm stunned by my own stupidity.

Naomasa298 and Iain Aschendale like this.
  18. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Telemachus Sneezed
    Don't sweat it. The ongoing low-grade stress of coping with the pandemic is taking up a lot of processor cycles in everyone's brain leading us to sometimes miss the really obvious. I've had days when I was really too tired and unfocused to work and it didn't occur to me to grab one of the Red Bulls (I don't like coffee) that I bought specifically to caffeinate myself into functionality in the morning. Brain too fried to hit its own reset button or whatever.

If you do get a waffle maker, just remember you don't need as much batter per waffle as you think you do. Read the directions.

Trust me, I learned the hard way. Or there's always Eggo :)

Link the Writer likes this.
  19. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Eggos taste better anyway.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  20. Mark Burton

Mark Burton Fried Egghead Contributor

Our sand filter in our waste water treatment plant at home developed a serious leak because when they backfilled after installation, a rock ended up wedged between the container and the backfill dirt. As it's compacted down, the rock has been forced like a ram through the container wall and its internal bladder.

The best quote came in at $1k. Shocked, I asked, "Why so expensive when I can get exactly the same thing from a swimming pool supply shop for $200?"

"Because you need to replace like for like and the ones from the swimming pool suppliers aren't officially approved by the Council."

"But it's exactly the same: same make, same model, everything. "

"Ah yes, but you see this embossed plate in the side of the broken unit? Well the new unit needs one of those to be legit."

"So I'm paying $800 extra for an embossed plate?"

"Weell if you put it like like, pretty much..."

The issue is Council have already been notified by the technician about the failure after he came out to investigate the leak, so I can't just rip off the plate and stick it to the new container because the serial numbers will be identical. I wish I'd known earlier what a PITA this red tape would be and I'd have sorted it out myself in one afternoon for a whole lot less $$$!

Lifeline and Naomasa298 like this.
  21. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Telemachus Sneezed
    Contractors notify regulatory bodies about these sorts of things all the time to preserve their income stream. Once it's been reported you have to go through them, no doing it on the cheap by yourself. Odds are those serial numbered plates were lobbied for by the pipefitter's union.

Mark Burton likes this.
  22. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

First snow, now ice? What is going on in Central Texas these days? On Monday, the low is predicted to be zero. ZERO. Bear in mind, that is at least 30 degrees lower than the normal low temperature for this location. THIRTY DEGREES LOWER. What the heck. Spent a good 20 min chipping my car out of the ice it was encased in so I could get to work this morning. 2 hours north of here, there was a 133-car pileup on the highway that left 5 dead. What the heck, Texas?
    A couple shots from my yard yesterday:
    149598787_10100309707635882_1664107066642445159_n.jpg 149782003_10100309707536082_5688626659835207713_n.jpg

23. NobodySpecial

Update: the owner of the daycare center next door stopped by the shop this morning, and ‘suggested’ I apologize to her staff for my language and behavior yesterday. She even threatened to call the police about the incident. Where do people like this come from? I pointed out it wasn’t my responsibility or my problem to provide parking for her customers. If she’s so worried about it, she can have her staff clear out her parking lot. Supposedly, she’s going to call the owners and have a talk about my attitude.

24. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Jeez. I know Texans can't drive in snow or ice to save their lives--literally it would seem--but jeez! Go slow, tap your brakes, turn into the skid, double your anticipated length to come to a stop, downshift instead of braking if you have a stick... ain't hard if you're used to it, I suppose.

25. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

some one recorded a lot of it. I couldnt watch the whole thing... it was so horrible!
    it looked like they were going full speed into the next car and you could hear the cars crunching. Me living in the Midwest where we have blizzards like every week, said "why arent they stopping!?"
    my husband said "they cant. its all ice. they arent used to it"
    :bigfrown:
    i shut off the video and Facebook once the huge 18 wheeler crunched into the minivan and pickup truck at full speed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.