The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

... my dog walked up to my bookshelf and peed on my books.... all of my publications were on the bottom shelf and got the brunt of the stream :cry:

2. alittlehumbugcalledShe

alittlehumbugcalledShe Active Member

Might be too late, but kitchen roll between all of the pages, stat!! Happened to me too many times before. My dog spilt coffee on my laptop, and now I can't backspace or press 0. Makes it hard to do financial calculations or typing, both of which are my main jobs

3. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

When are you putting him down?

/jk

Xoic likes this.
  4. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

Whenever I'm going through my notes or outlines and come across a sentence that starts with "Maybe", I want to go back in time, throttle myself, and yell YOU NEED TO MAKE THESE DECISION BEFORE YOU START WRITING

Cave Troll likes this.
  5. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

Working on editing my novel and every time I pull it out I get overwhelmed by everything I need to do and put it back away again. Why is editing so hard?

6. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Think of it as rewriting, and tell yourself that rewriting is lots easier than editing.

Stormsong07 likes this.
  7. GraceLikePain

GraceLikePain Senior Member

I've always thought that that rule about not starting with "and" or "but" was ridiculous. Doesn't make any sense. What I love about korean is that there's specifically ways to begin sentences with "and" or "but" -- kurigo, kurojiman/kuronteh. But yea.....oh wait, you said university. I was going to say that high school was definitely bad, but...yeah...kinda sad at the state of education these days.

And people wonder why I don't like dogs. I'm heartbroken for you, really, that's awful.

8. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Yeah, this is academic writing at a university level, and just like you said above, there are specific ways in formal written English. "Also," "However" :)

hangukmal manhi ijoporyusoyo, mianhamnida.

9. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I hear you on that, my friend.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  10. deadrats

I think the revision process is a lot harder than the initial writing. Just keep in mind that the true magic happens in the editing. Good luck!

11. deadrats

Grrrr... I bought an alarm clock because my phone isn't waking me up anymore and this little alarm clock seemed pretty cool. But my new alarm clock is meant for someone in Europe. The directions say it can take up to seven minutes to find a signal and set the time itself. Well, after several seven minutes I read through the rest of the directions and it got to the part where it says the satellite features only work in Europe. This was not mentioned in the description of the item where I bought it. It's still a pretty cool little clock. It makes me want to go back to Europe and bring my little clock. I told my lover I was going to send it to @jannert. Need a clock?

Catrin Lewis and jannert like this.
  12. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Oh, that's annoying when the seller doesn't make it clear where it can be used. I would say it's not worth the postage sending it overseas, though. :) But thanks for the thought.

We've got several radio-controlled clocks, but we also have the plain old set by hand clocks too. Nice to have a balance.

deadrats likes this.
  13. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    When I moved over to a smartphone I kept my old flipphone to use as an alarm clock. It still hooks up to the signal to keep the correct time and unlike most bedside alarm clocks doesn't have any visible display to keep me up. It also allows up to 14 different alarms, each of which can be customized by which day or days the alarm goes off on. Pretty handy, been using it that way for maybe a decade or so now.

jannert and deadrats like this.
  14. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I'm getting more pissed off every time I go to buy a blu-ray or DVD on Amazon. It used to be each one had its own page and you knew all the comments listed on that page were for that particular disc. But now they've switched to this horrible method where they list all the DVD versions and blu-ray versions on the same page and the comments are lumped together, exact same comments whether you're looking at a DVD from 2002 or the special edition version from 2017 or the brand new blu-ray that just came out last year.

But the worst part, the thing I keep getting burned on, is that they now include versions that won't play on a US machine, like PAL or Region 2 discs, but many (most) of them don't mention that information anywhere. Amazon.com is a US company, they're supposedly selling product only for use in the US. Why would they even be selling Region 2 or PAL discs? Amazon used to have the best information available on all their products, they were known for that. But that's changed drastically.

It should tell you if the disc is in NTSC or PAL system, and which region or zone it works in. Some do, if you scour the fine print, and occasionally there's even a helpful warning (hidden in a place you wouldn't think to look for it) with a red exclamation mark next to it. But entirely too often there's no indication at all of what you'll be getting until you open it and your machine won't play it.

They also removed the ability to comment under other people's comments. This used to be extremely helpful for issues like this, as well as many others. You could go through the comments and find discussions where details would be clearly explained. Now even if somebody makes a completely incorrect comment nobody can correct it, it just stands as is.

It seems the whole internet is becoming increasingly user-unfriendly in ways that always benefit the corporations in underhanded ways, and the individual user is getting shafted more and more.

15. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

I was looking at a guitar pedal last year and it was jut like that, except there were about 15 different pedals by the same company. Impossible.

16. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Which pedal?

17. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

it was one of those Donner ones. I have their looper and I was fairly impressed with the quality. They had a rat clone and a compressor I was interested in. I may go back and take a look again, because the looper is really well built.

Homer Potvin and Cave Troll like this.
  18. alittlehumbugcalledShe

I hate it when you get better at some skill or discipline than a family member (singing, writing, poetry, mathematics), and they take it out on you by totally ignoring you. Makes it worse when it's a parent. Worse still when they told you to 'never settle', etc. They were literally speaking with and laughing with and engaging with everyone in the house but when I came in, it was the silent treatment for me. I'm trying my hardest with this stuff, and I didn't even brag or anything (off of here, I rarely talk about it - my intentions, my career, etc).

I don't even need enthusiastic support, you know? Just a neutral reaction at least would be great -- but not this shit. He borrowed my books, ones that I kept pristine throughout my degree because of how much they meant to me, to read - I got them back yesterday, and he'd written in pen all over them with his notes without even asking. I'm devastated. I've never wished death on another human being, but dear God, it cannot come fast enough. This whole situation has just been intensified by Covid.

If he even found out I was writing this, I'd be straight out murdered or kicked out. I'm like actually hesitant to post this. This shit's like a horror movie. It's terrifying, I always feel watched.

Catrin Lewis and Cave Troll like this.
  19. GraceLikePain

So I just made a nice cup of tea a minute a go. Just now? Bug in it. I'm indoors.

Dude, get out. You've got to find a place. I hear tell the housing market is going to go way down soon, so it's a renter's market out there. Are you old enough to move?

20. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Could have been a cat. :p
    [​IMG]

GraceLikePain and Xoic like this.
  21. alittlehumbugcalledShe

I had to move in during Covid for financial reasons. Looking to find somewhere already, but idk when I'll be able to leave.

22. GraceLikePain

Frankly, that would have been an improvement.

Cave Troll likes this.
  23. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    My doggo went missing yesterday. Put up flyers and an alert online.
    I miss my scruffy grumpy old dog. :(

24. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Hope he comes home in the next day or so. Mine ran off with a neighborhood herd once for about a week.

25. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Meh. Fucking Indeed applications. Cue the fire hose of unqualified candidates plastering me against the wall of HR overload. Every day will be an Advent Calendar of turds for the next few weeks. And all to hire 1.5 servers, .5 bartenders, 1 busser (in .33 portions), and 2 resident dum-dums. One thing team building has taught me is that there are archetypal positions that must be fulfilled at all times. So now I actively hire an idiot or two so a good employee doesn't get relegated to the role through workplace determinism.

(seriously, this is a thing...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.