?

Which story should win the contest?

This poll will close on Dec 16, 2019 at 9:04 PM.
  1. Wrong Number

2. TARABA

3. Yummy McChuck

4. Fainting By Numbers

5. The Medicine Hat Deal

6. The Trouble with Darcy

7. An unfortunate choice of phrase

8. Clandestine Goings-On

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Writing Forums Staff

Writing Forums Staff Moderator Staff

Open Voting The November Short Story Contest Voting is OPEN!

Discussion in 'Monthly Short Story Contest' started by Writing Forums Staff, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Read the entries here: https://www.writingforums.org/threads/november-short-story-contest-is-open.164082/#post-1816162

2. Vote. Authors, please do not vote for your own story. If you don't want to vote for another but still want to know the poll results, don't worry - they will be visible to all once voting closes.

Get your votes in by 16 December. Voting will close late (GMT) on 16 December.

You can use whatever criteria you like to choose a winner. If you want some guidance, the criteria we used for the 10th anniversary contest were:
    • Technical ability (spelling, grammar, etc)
    • Entertainment
    • Originality
    • Use of the prompt
    Beware: Replies may contain spoilers!

2. Richach

Richach Active Member

For me, it was a straight choice between two stories.

I liked Taraba very much. The author set the scene, characters and plot well. This meant I could just enjoy the story. I wanted to vote for this story but didnt.

My vote went to Wrong Number. Although it was not as well written as some of the other entrants, I actually don't think it was too far off. This story had a tension to it that I found compelling. This type of creative aspect should not be over looked. As I did not find a similar creative element in any other story, Wrong Number trumps any other.

3. Stephen Barnard

Stephen Barnard Active Member

Where'd exweedfarmer go? Please don't tell me someone complained about his reviews? I'm perfectly happy for him to rip me up on a monthly basis. It's just a question of reading taste, after all.

EFMingo, dbesim and Dan McLeod like this.
  4. SamHeeple

SamHeeple New Member

Dunno. His post was here about 2 hours ago. Surely, he wasn't banned for that critique...

5. Hammer

Hammer Contributor Contributor

Looking back on a previous vote the answer appears to be...

upload_2019-12-2_23-9-43.png

6. Richach

Richach Active Member

Yes I looked back and noticed he was gone. I did not mind his harsh reviews. If anything they toughened me up a little.

dbesim and Dan McLeod like this.
  7. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Benevolent Ochlocrat Staff Supporter Contributor

While individual members may not mind "harsh" critiques of their stories, newer or more sensitive writers may find such treatment a deterrent to entering the contests. If a member wants to expose their work to critique, the place for that is the Workshop, not the comments of a contest voting thread. The Mod Team is working on a new set of guidelines as we speak.

big soft moose and jannert like this.
  8. SamHeeple

SamHeeple New Member

I'm new here and I'm not about to argue with a moderator, however, I would like to say that if a writer is so sensitive, then they are in for a rude shock further down the road. Particularly if they want to be published traditionally.

9. big soft moose

big soft moose The Moderating Moose Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

The point is that critique (where ever its given on this site) should be constructive and helpful.. there's nothing wrong with being critical, but you can be highly critical without being rude or harsh. It is never appropriate in this community to tear others efforts down for the sake of it.

We don't discuss the detail of individual bannings since they are between the member and the mod team, but I will say that Exweed farmer is only gone for 7 days (its a flaw in the software that it makes no differentiation between a permanent ban and a temporary suspension)

dbesim and jannert like this.
  10. Dan McLeod

Dan McLeod Member

I appreciate that exweedfarmer takes the time to give critique, as there aren't many users who do that regularly (myself included).

That said, I only read the critique of my own story yesterday, as I hadn't voted yet.

11. Hammer

Hammer Contributor Contributor

Severe critique is fine IMHO (it can be done in a respectful way), but this is a competition thread not a critique thread. People are not putting their work up to be torn apart, they are waiting anxiously, beady eyes peering eagerly at the bright lights of fame, in the hope that somebody will like their baby, not baring their soft-parts for a good, hard, public kicking.

Constructive comments are, I'm sure, very welcome, but if you really don't like a piece, don't vote for it. It's that simple. The member under discussion took a piece (which, if I recall, achieved a vote of zero) and put it up in the workshop for crit. That is an invitation for critique. He or she really wanted to know why nobody voted. That is where to tear it apart (or, better, provide a respectful insight into why you think it didn't work...)

Apart from anything else the authors can't even respond to critique in this thread without breaking the anonymity, which makes it a bit one-sided.

12. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

@NEWWeedFarmer returns from the 7 day RE-Ed

I like coffee, I like coffee, children are our future, doncha just love the smell of baking bread in the mornings lol lol lol lol

13. dbesim

dbesim Contributor Contributor

I’ve never really minded @exweedfarmer’s harsh critiques because he seems to give every story the same sort of treatment. He even harshly critiques his own stories too. People may feel like they’re on the same page in this. A bit like Simon Cowell with the singing, maybe?? Or the meanie in Strictly Come Dancing?? God, wouldn’t it be great if someone banned them.

I get about promoting a supportive community in the WF and especially for the new or more sensitive writers.. maybe when he comes back he could focus his energies more on the stories he does like, the ones he’s voted for or maybe say just 1 good thing about each story. I’m glad this ban’s not for too long.

EFMingo likes this.
  14. Richach

Richach Active Member

Unfortunately, I think even the 'Mods' powers do not stretch as far as Saturday night TV. Or do they.... :twisted:

And BTW @dbesim we are waiting for your balanced and moderate feedback. ;)

dbesim likes this.
  15. dbesim

ha, ha..
    You’ll probably have to wait a little longer because I haven’t finished reading all the stories yet.. :p

16. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Contributor Contributor

Reading his reviews on my own entries, I didn't really find anything useful. It's okay to have an opinion, but when it comes to critique, it should at least be educated. Your dismissal of a story should not reduce to not understanding it, unless its complexity is its weakness.

dbesim likes this.
  17. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 Member

In the October voting, @exweedfarmer posted a "harsh" critique if his OWN entry.

Maybe he did it to hide the fact that it was his entry, but it comes across as just being perverse for the sake of it.

I don't think it's too difficult to post mostly the positive things about a story - after all, as has been said, this isn't a critique thread a la workshop.

18. big soft moose

big soft moose The Moderating Moose Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

If we could park the rights and wrongs of exweedfarmer and return to the actual short story contest that'd be great

jannert, Iain Aschendale and Hammer like this.
  19. Stephen Barnard

Stephen Barnard Active Member

Sorry I mentioned it and kicked all this off. My vote's in - I was torn between three. Some good stuff based on what I think actually turned out - perhaps surprisingly - to be a tricky prompt.

20. dbesim

OK.

There were several stories here that piqued my attention. However, focusing on the one story that had me at the end because of a shock twist that I was NOT expecting and the one that used the prompt in the most creative way (though the title itself could be re-worked or better edited), I voted for.. *drumroll*

An Unfortunate Choice of Phrase

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 6:57 PM
    Night Herald and Stephen Barnard like this.
  21. Night Herald

Night Herald The Renaissance Supporter Contributor

I voted for Fainting by Numbers. It managed to pull me in the most. The story flowed nicely, quite evocative with good use of imagery and mood. The storyline was a bit too predictable, but didn't keep me from pushing through to the end. I was hoping to have my expectations subverted, but alas... I also noticed a few redundant repetitions throughout the text, but apart from those slight niggles I think it's a well executed, enjoyable, gripping piece.

I largely enjoyed the other stories. The Medicine Hat Deal and The Trouble With Darcy in particular came close to contesting the vote. I might return with some thoughts on those later on.

Stephen Barnard and dbesim like this.
  22. Bijed

Bijed New Member

My vote went to Fainting By Numbers. Thought it was the best written of the lot, although it definitely had competition, and stories about weird groups/cults/sects etc tend to be an instant win with me

23. dbesim

Two stories currently tying for first place and THREE for second place! Any new vote could completely change the dynamics on that.