The Old Kingdom: Darkness Rising (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Erik-the-Enchanter!, Feb 7, 2017.

1. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

I don't think Samara is strong enough, but Samara thinks Samara is strong enough. :p

2. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Yeah and so does Drake. That could be funny.

3. Skye Walker

Skye Walker Banned

Ooh, fighting. I like fighting. So does Nyx.

Sorry about the not-posting-for-a-few-days thing, I just got caught up again with schoolwork. I'll try to get a post up within the hour, but if I can't, I'll post something in 3 or 4 hours. :)

4. AnonyMouse

So, a wild storm knocked my power out last night, before I could post. I'm writing from work right now, but I have no idea if it will be back on when I get home tonight. So, if I disappear until tomorrow... well, you know. :(

Also, I’m trying to keep count of the wolves that have been killed, injured, etc. Here’s what I have so far. Not sure if this is correct; I’m short on time, so I wrote this rather quickly.

Kills
    1 frozen and shattered by Nora
    1 sliced in half by Alex’s pendulum
    2 ground / mashed by Andreas

Injured or otherwise engaged in combat
    1 being wrestled by Joe
    1 whipped by Sulla (probably not dead)
    1 zapped by Nyx (probably not dead)
    1 leader, currently fighting Nyx and Samara

So, that makes nine left alive, four dead, and four either in a fight or affected by one. If I’ve missed any, please correct me.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  5. Lone Vista

Lone Vista Active Member

Here's a question for the GM (and I admit I may be being slightly too ambitious): Could Joe's healing spell have any effect on beings possessed by the darkness?
    Or should I just have them give it a try and see what happens?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  6. Silent Lion

Silent Lion Active Member

Another question for the GM! Do the spells we already have naturally get better/more powerful over time as our characters improve, or do we need to dedicate a "New Spell Session" to upgrade one of them?

@AnonyMouse I mushed the chest of the one tripping balls, so (s)he should be dead. I think there's twelve in total including the leader, but I'll reread. [/pedantry]
    Other than that, looking good. Also loved your line about shitting diamonds! It wouldn't work coming out of anyone else's mouth.

It's occurred to me my character acts a little older than he should. I need to have him do something petty.

7. AnonyMouse

@Silent Lion
    Sorry, I missed that one. I edited to account for it... though it's kind of old news now, with all the new wolves showing up. :)

8. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

When did Drake take down a werewolf?

9. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Hey, I'm going on a vacation for a week now, and I don't know when I'll have wifi there. Until I manage to post just assume Drake has passed out and will wake up when I manage to post.

10. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Erik-the-Enchanter! Banned Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Love Poems
    I meant to say Andreas, not Drake. My bad.

11. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    @Lone Vista It could have a temporary effect on someone who is newly possessed, but probably not on someone whose been possessed for a while.

12. Skye Walker

Skye Walker Banned

So, I just remembered something we (me and another group) did for a previous RP, on another site. It may help us with character development a little bit.

We had a character relationships sheet that we filled out, where we listed each character and what our character thinks of the other. So, for example:

Nyx

Samara:
    Nyx sees Samara as someone she could never be, but someone to look up to. She thinks Samara can be too much of a "superhero-movie-protagonist" type person sometimes, but she also thinks that's can be something that she could improve about herself. All in all, Nyx views Samara as a sort of big-sister figure, even if they don't interact that much.

Andreas:
    Nyx enjoys verbal spars with Andreas. She uses him as someone to compete against in... pretty much everything, actually. But after the recent events of death and fleeing from home, and being partners, she thinks that they make a pretty good team. She was vaguely surprised at how terrified she was when he got shot, and after patching him up, she realized that she cared for him, even if it were only platonic. She wouldn't complain if grew into something more, though. Even if it did, she'd still insult him and compete with him every chance she got, and she imagines Andreas would feel the same.

And so on and so on. Thoughts?

13. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    I think that's awesome. Those would be fun to read. :D

14. Lone Vista

Lone Vista Active Member

@Erik-the-Enchanter! Much obliged! I'll keep that in mind.

@Skye Walker I agree, that seems like a great idea! Here's Joe's:

Joe is actually super wrapped up in themselves and very judgemental of other people, so most of their impressions of others are about one sentence long. And often rude. I apologize for them being a little twit.

Alex: Overconfident, kind of daft, gonna get himself killed one of these days. Joe wants to feel useful by keeping an eye on him and keeping him alive.

Andreas: Feels like they could have prevented him getting shot, so now they're extra conscious and protective of him.

Nyx: Worried about how she's doing but too scared to talk to her. Was super surprised when she stepped in to save them, so now they're having the first flutterings of a "could this be the power of friendship" moment.

Trisana: Joe can't get a read on her and she confuses the hell out of him. They don't trust kindness from anybody, so they don't trust her and are constantly waiting for her to turn on them somehow.

Drake: Thought Drake was kind of selfish but now thinks he must be pretty brave.

Samara: Basically sees her as another authority figure as well as someone to hide behind. If they could leave all the fighting up to her and get away with it, they would. They think of her as invincible and basically a way better person than them in every way.

Joe is ace, and thinks any kind of romancing is either embarrassing or gross. They do their best not to pay attention when anybody else is flirting.

15. Silent Lion

Oh, this is such a cool idea. Obvs our chars are still in the dark on the what-they-think-of-me front, but we can know ;)

Andreas

Alex
    Andreas doesn't know a great deal about Alex and doesn't have much of an opinion on him. For someone who's not particularly outgoing, Alex does like to throw himself into danger. Alex likes to read and learn a lot, and Andreas thinks that's pretty cool.

Samara
    Andreas thinks she's foolhardy and overprotective but she actively, almost aggressively cares about being a good person and that's admirable. He used to find the overprotective mothering thing really irritating, but it's turning out to dam useful. The girl's built for it. And now he can't stop looking at her exposed leg. But he also thinks one day Samara will take the whole martyr thing a little too far, and he's not going to let anyone die for him if he can help it.

Trisana
    Andreas aspires to be rational and calculated. He believes those are the qualities of a responsible and honest person. Predictably, Andreas always looked down on Trisana because she is the opposite of those things. Now he thinks that she's just a bit lost and can't help it (bless her). He is only just starting to suspect that he's been a judgemental and arrogant little [], but he's not quite there yet.

Joe
    Something about Joe's extreme sociophobia makes Andreas feel protective of them. He used to think they were uncourageous across the board, and that like a scared cat they weren't capable of much else other than hiding. This whole adventure has clearly obliterated that perception. In fact, due to Joe's lack of social interaction, Andreas realises he knows very little about them.

Nyx
    Until recently, Nyx has always been his nemesis. His rivalry with her gave meaning and direction to a life that was otherwise shut off and bitter. The Fight Against Nyx, as he called it. Recent events have left him a bit stunned, to be honest. His simplistic view of her (and everyone else) is shattering and he is being forced to rediscover his humanity. As he put so much effort into being against her, he now feels that he has some attoning to do, and the very real possibility of developing a crush on her frankly scares the shit out of him.

Drake
    Andreas has always found Drake entertaining to be around, but he's wrapped up in his lazy comforts. He's pretty impressed with the effort Drake's put in to teleporting everyone around recently. He disapproves of Drake's lack of passion for learning, and somewhere in the back of his mind, Andreas is jealous because Drake seems so much more normal than him.

16. Skye Walker

Skye Walker Banned

Alrighty, well, I'll finish this up then!

Nyx

Samara:
    Nyx sees Samara as someone she could never be, but someone to look up to. She thinks Samara can be too much of a "superhero-movie-protagonist" type person sometimes, but she also thinks that's can be something that she could improve about herself. All in all, Nyx views Samara as a sort of big-sister figure, even if they don't interact that much.

Andreas:
    Nyx enjoys verbal spars with Andreas. She uses him as someone to compete against in... pretty much everything, actually. But after the recent events of death and fleeing from home, and being partners, she thinks that they make a pretty good team. She was vaguely surprised at how terrified she was when he got shot, and after patching him up, she realized that she cared for him, even if it were only platonic. She wouldn't complain if grew into something more, though. Even if it did, she'd still insult him and compete with him every chance she got, and she imagines Andreas would feel the same.

Alex: Nyx doesn't really know anything about Alex, which sort of makes her uncomfortable. What she does know is that he has a strange fascination with death, and he loves reading books. Nyx is a little off-put by Alex, in general. Whenever she tried to start a conversation with him back home, he gave her short, one-word replies, so she eventually just stopped trying. That may have had something to do with the fact that he was reading when she tried to talk to him, though. Overall, Nyx thinks he's kind of strange, but the information he knows from all of his books was, and could be useful in the coming weeks. At least, if he doesn't get himself killed before then.

Trisana:
    Nyx doesn't like her. She doesn't trust easily, and she doesn't think that someone that's so flighty and ditsy has the capacity to be loyal. Add on the fact that Trisana was a complete insensitive bitch (in her opinion) earlier, and you've got a genuine strong dislike right there. (Personally, I think that Trisana's a great, definitely entertaining character, but Nyx... doesn't. lol)

Joe:
    Nyx, for some reason, is really protective of Joe. Back at the school, she barely knew them (She still barely knows them), but she thought they were a timid kid who wouldn't stand up for themself. After they fled, however, her viewpoint spun on its axis and she realized that they were pretty fucking brave. She definitely respects them, and would probably sacrifice herself in a heartbeat for the kid. She sees them as someone who could become a trusted friend, despite their opposing personalities.

Drake:
    Nyx doesn't really have much of an opinion of Drake. She barely knows him, and doesn't really feel the need to know him. She's pretty impressed with the alpha-killing-stunt that he pulled earlier, though, and there could be a little bit of trust there.

17. Bewitched

Bewitched Banned

Just found out this was a thing, lol.

Trisana

Alex:
    Alex is weird, but there's nothing wrong with weird. Trisana likes weird. She always leaves him alone when he's reading because she understands how it feels to be deeply invested in a book and people can't stop bothering you. Trisana just finished the Runaways graphic novels and she can't wait for the upcoming Hulu show. Hmm, if she stays in the Old Kingdom she won't be able to watch it...she wonders if she could somehow magically hi-jack the cable satellite on this side of the Wall? *starts twirling lock of hair*

Samara:
    Trisana likes Samara, she's like a mother hen but with a big sword and spiky crystal armor. You can always trust Samara to take control in hectic situations and Trisana is just fine with that because she's usually daydreaming, and Samara's shouted orders snap her out of her reveries so she can pay attention to the problems at hand. Trisana badly wants to do something with Samara's hair, but there never seems to be a right time to bring it up, especially now that they're constantly running from danger or running into danger. She also wishes Samara would talk to her about girly stuff. Trisana's in desperate need of a girlfriend.

Nyx: Because Trisana loves everyone, she never suspected that Nyx had any problem with her, but after their little spat it has become glaringly obvious that Nyx doesn't like her. Trisana likes to pretend it doesn't bother her, because rainbows and sunshine is her thing, but whenever she looks at Nyx she's reminded of all the things she said and Trisana feels a little...what's the word...disgruntled? Ugh. Trisana hates feeling anything but happy. She'll probably avoid Nyx as much as possibly for the sake of keeping the peace. And what's up with Nyx's outfit?! Did she secretly want to be a dominatrix or something?!?!

Andreas:
    Andreas is always putting Trisana down, so she mostly tries to either laugh it off and pretend it doesn't bother her or simply ignore him. Out of everyone, Andreas probably reminds Trisana of her mother the most. Her mother is always making jokes at her expense and yelling at Trisana to stop being so bubbly and fun-loving. Trisana tried being nice to Andreas, hoping that he'd decide to like her, but that didn't work so now she's just going to try to stay away from him, which shouldn't be that hard since he's spending more and more time with Nyx. They would make a good couple, they're both as prickly as porcupines. *giggles*

Joe: Trisana used to think of Joe as a little brother. They were about the same age, but he always seemed to give her the vibe of a little kid, maybe because he's so quiet and reserved most of the time. But now she thinks he's pretty brave and smart and she's super proud of all the things he's accomplished since leaving Taggerton. But he did yell at her along with Nyx, so now Trisana doesn't know how to feel about him. Does he like her? Or is he on Team Hate-on-Trisana? Trisana plans to keep being cordial with him. He's a nice guy and she would hate to lose him to the "dark side" (aka, Nyx and Andreas).

Drake: The love of Trisana's life. Wait...um...eh hem. Can't let anyone know. Must keep that secret locked deep, deep inside. Can't even admit to yourself how you feel about him or it will be real and you won't be able to act normal around him anymore. So just play it cool, treat him like a friend, try not to get lost in his eyes too much, and you should be cool, Tris. Hmm, is talking to yourself a sign of mental illness? Trisana was doing that quite a lot lately. She wished her classmates were more friendly, then she could talk to them about all these things.

There, whewww. That took more effort than I thought it would, lol. I tried making a happy character with Trisana because I'm always playing dark, moody characters, but I've also noticed in every RP that the happiest character is always the most hated. I thought I might explore that and maybe learn something from it.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  18. Silent Lion

It is ironic, isn't it? It'll be interesting to see how everyone's relationship with Trisana pans out.

19. Bewitched

Bewitched Banned

And everyone always wants to be friends with the bitchiest characters, lol.

20. Skye Walker

Skye Walker Banned

I'm willing to admit that Nyx is a bitch. :supergrin:

21. AnonyMouse

Cool idea.

Alex: He's knowledgable about magical creatures and such. Samara respects that and has leaned on him for intel a couple of times already. But he's also very emotional. This came as a big surprise, because she always thought he was very reserved and kept his feelings to himself; now she thinks he only appeared that way because he's not good at controlling his emotions. He seems to cling to her at times and that, too, has come as a surprise. She is beginning to suspect he likes her as more than a friend, but Samara is the sort of person who will ignore romance until she gets beaten over the head with it.

Andreas: She used to see him as a cynical, pessimistic person. He still is, sort of, but she has realized he cares a lot more than he appears to and that the cynicism and jokes only hide his vulnerability. That vulnerability makes her want to protect him (not just physically) but his contributions in battle have not gone unnoticed; she has seen what he's capable of and knows he can do more, if only he were motivated to do so. Nyx could be that motivation. Samara secretly wants to see them hook up, but she (probably) won't do anything to make it happen.

Drake: She used to think he was a coward... and she still does, but she acknowledges that he is channeling his cowardice in a positive way. I think Samara is a little envious of him, actually. She feels heroism is about sacrifice: if you give your life to save the day, you're a hero... even if you don't actually save the day. Drake tends to take the easy way out and I think that annoys her slightly. He saves the day with minimal effort or sacrifice and that totally goes against her "work hard, train hard, maximum effort" MO. She doesn't dislike him at all, but really wishes he'd try harder... which is ironic because he has probably gotten more results than anyone else here.

Joe: Winner of the "most improved" award. Joe has really stepped up and become someone who can take charge. Samara sees how much they care and is inspired by it. She has never seen Joe this driven --well, she's never seen him show much drive at all, until now-- and doesn't want to see them fail. She has a lot of faith in him, but is afraid that if he does ever screw up, the guilt will drive him back into his shell, deeper than before. She won't let that happen. If Joe ever does reach his breaking point, she'll definitely be there to bring him back.

Nyx: Samara thinks of her as a little sister, even though they don't interact much. Someone she can relax around and tease. Her actual sister is an absolute bitch (and not in a good way). Nyx is pretty much the opposite of everything Samara hates about her sister. Also, Nyx is a hard worker. Every skill she has was developed through effort and determination. Samara respects that.

Trisana: In a word, selfish. Or perhaps 'self-centered' is a better way to describe it. She's stuck in her own head, wrapped up in her own little happy bubble. Only reason Samara hasn't given her a stern talking to is because she knows it won't stick; whatever she says will roll right off of Trisana and be forgotten five minutes later. She probably thinks there is something wrong with Trisana, like a true mental disorder of some kind, and wants to help but isn't sure how. She doesn't think Trisana is a bad person; her actions are born of ignorance, not malicious intent.

22. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Sorry if I posted too much last night. I thought I wouldn't be able to post today so I was trying to give you guys a lot to react to. But my plans changed and now I have all of today free after all, lol.

23. Lone Vista

Lone Vista Active Member

@Erik-the-Enchanter! No worries! Better safe than sorry, and I don't think this is too much for us to work with. :)

Joe's been losing my interest a little, so I think I'm going to amp up the emo. I figure I ought to do something to get them out of their own head a little and interacting with the others.

24. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

@Erik-the-Enchanter! You said to give our unicorns the same personality as our characters, so I decided to have a bit of fun with it.

25. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Alright, character relashionship post coming up.

First I think I'll start with the character's with whom Drake has had contact.

Tristine- Beutiful, joyful, ditzi in the cutest way possible. Yeah Tris is the complete package, even if he doesn't manage to understand her half the time. But it doesn't really matter as there's no way she'll ever look at him twice. Her flirtations are probably just a part of her personality, nothing special.

Samara- In his eyes she is the leader of the group, and he will follow her down to hell if need be. Well, not hell. An eight foot tall alpha werewolf maybe. When she fights he sees her as an indestructible force of nature, and her personality reminds him of a comic book superhero.

Joe- Drake is quite fond of Joe. The natural underdog, introvent fourteen year old, who will talk up to anybody and constantly puts himself on the line. The genderqueer part confuses him though, and makes it uncomfortable to try and get to know the kid. He's been raised in an old fashioned home, and doesn't really understand how to reffere to him, them, shit.

Andreas- He finds Andreas quite amusing. Thinks they could make good mates, if the guy wasn't so secluded and Drake decided to put his mind to it. Has seen little of the guy in action, but from what he has observed, the guy is brave, much braver than he is at any rate.

Alex- He doesn't really know the guy much. The weird kid, who for some reason is always hanging around Nora, who, while being the most awesome teacher on the planet, is still just that. At least he has that skull motof going on, which is actually pretty cool.

Nyx- Thing is, since Nyx is quite a dominant figure, I'm pretty sure Drake interacted with her at some point in the past. The only problem is, she is the character with whom he had the least contact. I guess he always notices her, sees her as the "in-crowd", the ones he both wishes he was part of but also doesn't care much about. And he kind of feels sorry for her for the whole "killing someone" whatever that was.