1. Shandeh

Shandeh Active Member

Apocalypse Discussion

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Shandeh, Jul 6, 2013.

Hi all and thanks for checking out my RP :) I hope I can welcome you to the apocalypse. I've copy-pasted the below from the actual RP thread so you can all have it as reference for character creation.

I'm very new to GMing on an RPG of this format, but I've been an admin on games for easily six or seven years. Hopefully I'll pick it up quickly.

Kietsumah is the Faction Manager for the angel army and has control of High Seraph Raphael. We still need someone to FM the demon army and play Dark Queen Lilith.

Regarding faction, humans and Nephilim serve angels and demons. They've picked sides. Nephilim have always served, that's what they were created for, and will need to be approximately evenly spaced between the factions [hence creation by arrangement only] because otherwise they're way too powerful and will skew the course of the war to one side or the other, thus making the game unfair.

I forgot to mention when detailing the playable races that demons have tails, and more demon-like Nephilim can also have them.

The game is open as soon as your character has been approved, though there won't be much to do until there are enough characters in each faction to start missions.

PLAYABLE RACES
    HUMAN
    Humans are the least magically capable of all the races, but are adaptable, determined and physically very capable. Magical items are their primary line of defense against the more supernatural races and can be used to nullify the effects of all magic, thus giving the user a small advantage in close.

Humans typically stand between five and six feet tall, though some individuals are taller or shorter, and are stocky when compared to angels and Nephilim, though they are of much lighter build than demons.

The human collective intelligence allows them to keep up with the other races through the most difficult of terrain despite the disadvantage of being unable to fly and physically less powerful than the Nephilim.

NEPHILIM
    Nephilim are the creation of the Demon Queen, Lilith, and the angel Raphael. Half demon, half angel, they are not as powerful as either magically, but far outstrip both in the physical arts, strong enough to wield even the largest of warhammers and battleaxes and fast enough to wield daggers, armblades and claws like no other. Magical items are not usable by this race. [Playable by arrangement only]

Nephilim stand between six and seven feet tall and are more slender than humans (though not as slender as angels), but can vary in appearance from angelic to demonic. They occasionally pair with humans physically, though such pairings invariably result in the human’s death. The child of a male Nephilim and female human is mindless and demonic in nature. The child of a female Nephilim and male human is highly intelligent but vicious, something between human and angel. Neither form of offspring is currently playable.

They lack wings and cannot fly, but make up for this with their speed and incredible strength. Nephilim can jump great heights and incredible distances with ease.

ANGEL
    Angels are ruled by Raphael [NPC] and largely reside in the Heavenly Realms, though they openly appear on Earth. Angel nobility [not playable] is extremely capable in the magical arts and no item is able to negate their magic. Lesser angels [the only playable form] are capable of basic to intermediate magic and the occasional advanced feat but lack physical strength - though they do make up for this with incredible speed and agility.

Angels are the tallest of the races, standing from six and a half to nine feet, and are of slim, elegant build. To compare an angel to a human one would equate the angel to a greyhound and the human to a labrador.

They have wings but can only fly for short distances without magical assistance.

DEMON
    Demons are ruled by Lilith, the Dark Queen. She goes by many names and is considered to be the mother of the Nephilim. She is NOT playable. Demon overlords are the most lethal creatures in this world [not playable] with strong dark magic and extreme physical strength. Lesser demons [playable] are capable of basic to intermediate dark magic and are stronger physically than Nephilim, but out of all of the races, are the slowest.

Demons stand between seven and eight feet and are very solid. Though they are not the tallest, they are physically the largest race. They are essentially the bulldogs of this world.

Their wings are massive, bat-like and powerful, but because of the physical mass of this race, demons can only fly using magical means.

RULES
    Firstly I’ll start by explaining the difference between god-moding and powerplaying.

God-moding is making your character way better than anyone else’s. More powerful, smarter, more skilled, any of that. Making them dodge everything, making everything miss, making it impossible for the enemy to attack them, that sort of thing. It’s unrealistic and unfair.

Powerplaying is doing little things to control other characters. And sometimes not-so-little things. Controlling reactions is not on. Doing things to them, however, like nudges, catches, sticking them in a headlock, etc, will be allowed depending on the physicalities of the individual characters. Nephilim can turn and put any random human in a headlock. Out-grapple any angel, outrun any demon. Oftentimes they do so to make a point.

Players who are given one of the Four Conduits will enjoy power, but not much more than that of any average everyday Nephilim. The main difference is that the Four are free. They serve no master other than the Horseman after whom they are named.

The Four are separate from the war, ‘other’, and entirely neutral - but that doesn’t mean they don’t get involved! They share one mind. They are four parts of the one whole and are changed by the Horsemen they channel.

Magical items are common, but typically defensive. Magical items that are useful for fighting with are rare and must be quested for. This is where the Horsemen really come into their own.

Everything in this game is quest-based, but especially the acquisition of superior equipment. I will throw the book at those questing for kit. It will take clever characters and cleverer writing to gain such items.

So now, with that done, we can start on the ‘listed’ rules.

1; GM’s word is LAW.
    2; God-moding, never. Powerplaying, where situationally appropriate. I have detailed the difference above. This is simply to make things more realistic and interesting.
    3; Keep the setting and story in mind. Environment-manipulating magic is off limits, nobody can bring back the dead but Death, that sort of thing. Do make sure you’re up to date with everything, even though some posts will have nothing at all to do with your character/s.
    4; Players may have as many characters as they can keep active.
    5; Any questions, ask the GM.
    6; Listen to your Faction Manager. They are in charge of guiding that part of the plot. You will be told who your FM is when you join a faction. Oh, and players are not restricted to one faction - only their characters are.
    7; Don’t ask for a Horseman’s Conduit. Asking won’t get you one. They are earned [exceptions made for those I have offered their pick].
    8; Have fun!

Character apps are to be made to this template and posted in the discussion thread.

Name:
    Nicknames/titles/aliases:
    Race:
    Faction:

Appearance: [description and/or pic]

Brief Personality: [optional]

Brief History: [optional]

Weapons/items used: [begin with a maximum of four; more can be earned]

Magical Talents: [begin with two, maximum, the power of which being dependent on the character’s race; more can be earned]

2. Shandeh

Shandeh Active Member

Name: The Conduit of Death
    Nicknames/titles/aliases: Death, Kinslayer, The Grim Reaper
    Age: Eternal. This body is 240 years old [Nephilim live a thousand years].
    Race: Nephilim
    Faction: Leader of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse // neutral

Appearance: image coming
    Death, like two of her three sisters, has red hair, pale ice blue eyes, and fair skin. She is eight feet tall exactly and slim [she IS Nephilim by birth] but curvy.

Brief Personality: [optional]

Brief History: [optional]

Weapons/items used:
    SCYTHES OF HARVESTING: These scythes are Death's instrument. She has neither need nor desire for anything else. They fold to be stored at the hip, and can join, either into one large scythe [think anime large] or a double-bladed staff. They are incredibly magically powerful and are her means of giving absolution to tortured souls - though absolution is not something she gives freely, especially once the call has been made.

DEATHSONG: Death's magic dress. Deathsong is indestructible, sentient, and can take any form, from lingerie to a full ballgown to armor and anything in between. She usually morphs according to Death's will, however will occasionally be disobedient, whether for a joke or because what Death wants is not appropriate for the situation.

Magical Talents:
    SECOND SIGHT: Death can see, hear and feel the souls of the dead. She can speak with them, and control them to some degree. They have to want to do as she asks, or they will simply refuse.

REAPING: If and when a soul passes from the body to the aether is entirely Death's domain. She can control who dies and when, and can resurrect the dead if it suits her purposes.

Please note that while Death has these powers and is basically immortal, I will mostly not be using them, except for plot advancement purposes. Second Sight is going to be heavily used but is not reliable!

3. Kittenscribbler

Kittenscribbler New Member

Name: The Conduit of Famine
    Nickname: Min
    Race: Nephilim
    Faction: Four Horsemen // neutral

Appearance: (hang on, I'm drawing them)
    calf length, deep red hair, 8 foot tall and curvy. Deep blue (almost black) eyes and stoic features

Brief personality: Calm, analyzing but if you manage to annoy her, she'll suck out your soul very slowly (very Wednesday Addams)

Weapons used:
    DOUBLE KATANA, Famine is generally the last to attack but she wields the blades with precision (Leonardo, TMNT)

Magical Talents:
    ENERGY/SOUL SIPHONING: Famine takes energy and spirit from those around her, making them weak, If she concentrates she can steal all the energy from someone leaving them a soulless shell

HUNGER STRIKE: A miasma that extends from her body to destroy all food and seed in an area

4. Shandeh

Shandeh Active Member

Approved muchly :D now go play.

5. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

Name: Hugo Millery.
    Nicknames: Lightfoot.
    Race: Human.
    Faction: Angels

Appearance & description:
    Underneath a layer of half-long black hair, two steelblue eyes gaze into the world with reluctance as well as determination. Dressed in the finest clothes the gutter provided, Hugo stalks the streets. He lives on gathering scraps from the dead or by stealing from the living, something he has grown to be quite adept at. To him, the war isn't so much about angels vs demons, it's about surviving and hoping that some day, he'll be able to retrace his family and life with them in piece, to work in the mechanical shop as he was taught.

History:
    Hugo used to live inside Sydney with his father, mother and younger sister. When the war broke out, circumstances seperated them. He has a few reminders to their existance; a wristband from his sister, an old postcard from his father and a valuable golden coin from his mother. As they are his only remaining link to his family, Hugo greatly treasures these items and will do anything to protect them.

Weapons:
    A blunt, rusty blade he looted from a dead body. More useful for beating than for cutting.
    A crossbow and three bolts (re-usable) to match.

Skills:
    LIGHT FOOTED: Hugo is almost inaudible when he tries to pass unnoticed.
    PICK POCKET: Allows Hugo to relief the dead, dying, or living from their far too heavy purses.

6. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

Lets see just how you two play now that you've entered the domain of fantasy. :D I live and breathe this stuff!

Name: Talahari
    Nicknames/titles/aliases: Tala (a lethal herb)
    Race: Angel
    Faction: Lesser Angel // Angels

Appearance: [Eventually i will get a drawing of her up] Tall and slim by standards of humans, she is actually quite small compared to other members of her kind at only six and a half feet. Her eyes hold a darkness to them that spooks even the nobles, however, making her one that is more feared than respected even as a lesser angel. She wears a light chest-plate and mail skirt over her long, white dress, decorated by red and blue ribbons and symbols. Her wings, however, are a bit larger than usual, and fade into black at the tips.

Brief Personality: Often calm and collected, she follows orders to a "T" and will do anything to remain at the top of her class. But, just because she follows orders, does not mean she won't bend them to get at the ultimate goal for her liege.

Brief History: Born and raised as a commoner of her kind, Talahari held no noticeable talent until she hit her late teens. This, coupled with her soldier's heart, quickly brought her into Raphael's courts. However, she is only used as an assassin, and was not sent to the front lines, but kept back until her talents could be utilized to their full potential.

Weapons/items used: Two daggers, and a belt of powdered herbs.

Magical Talents:
    - Flight-Boost: Tala can increase her flight speed as well as wing strength for several minutes.
    - Solar Flare: Tala can increase the strength of any light/heat source around her. Usually to glare sunlight off her wings.

7. Keitsumah

holy cow you ninja'd me! And we are the same fac! *suspicious*

8. Macaberz

Where do our characters have to start? At the court of the faction? In Sydney? Or just any place in Australia? I hope it isn't the last one because that will make it difficult to get the characters to interact.

Yay for me! :) To be honest, I tossed a coin, I think Hugo would've fit in on both sides so yea, this is just coincidence.

9. lixAxil

lixAxil Self-Proclaimed Senator of the RPG subforum. Contributor

Btw, Who is CO-GMing?

10. Shandeh

Shandeh Active Member

I'm not really wanting to put limits on exactly where the characters begin at this stage, but it would want to be within reason. Since the troops are being addressed, anyone who is currently a soldier will either be on a random minor mission, or awaiting address. Anyone who is going to sign up but isn't yet a soldier can be anywhere.

The first mission is planned already and Keitsumah knows what it is.

The Faction Managers are co-GMing this game :) Technically I'm the FM of the Horsemen, though they're not really a faction as such.

Everyone's characters so far are awesome and I love how realistic and reasonable everyone is being with their abilities and weapons! I haven't had to ask for one revision yet, not even a tiny one.

11. Keitsumah

lol *whew* i had to re-think my moves several times before i posted them. glad i did good!

12. Shandeh

Shandeh Active Member

I absolutely LOVE your post, you captured exactly what I had in mind for Raphael :D can't wait for someone to take on Lilith and her demons...

I may create a demon, I haven't yet decided on what my other character will be...

13. Macaberz

Alrighty, making a post! :)

14. lixAxil

lixAxil Self-Proclaimed Senator of the RPG subforum. Contributor

I like the demon faction. And I think I have the capacity to roleplay a demon.
    But don't think I'l go for that faction. Don't like demon queen lilith xD

15. Shandeh

Shandeh Active Member

I've just whipped out a quick post with Death, causing chaos as she so loves to ^^ I assume it's become rather clear what the first mission will be. This is a rather important mission and success will grant one character a VERY magically powerful weapon.

Edit; Yeah, I think it's going to take a pretty specific type of person to want to take control of Lilith. She's a snarky, rather nasty creature. She does have her good side too, it's just not apparent in that first post XD

16. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

The Devil Who Doesn't Do Anything

Name: Lucifer, Satan, The Father of Lies, Deceiver, Enemy, God of this age, Wicked One etc. (This list could go on for awhile. Call him whatever you want)

Nicknames/titles/aliases: Nick, Stan, Damian, Lucy, Lottie or Louis (which ever)

Age: Unknown (Has been around since the creation of angels. He was one of the first created)

Race: Former Archangel/Currently Fallen Angel

Faction: No one has claim on him/neutral more or less.

Appearance: It doesn't matter. He doesn't have a default look. He can shape shift into whatever he desires.

Brief Personality: He is the the Lucifer who doesn't do anything........well he does stuff. But he's not ruling hell nor is he corrupting mankind (anymore anyway). Lucifer has been walking around patrolling the Earth and has seen all that has gone on. (I can't reveal much about him.) But I will say this. Lucifer is one righteous dude. Unlike most would expect Lucifer does not hold mankind in contempt at all and speaks of his father quite fondly. He also doesn't seem to care very much about the power and position he has lost. The rest is TBR.

Brief Bio: Lucifer was once a powerful Archangel along with his brother's Micheal, Uriel, Raphael and Gabriel. Well as most everyone knows he led a rebellion and caused civil war in Heaven (for unknown reasons in this world. Most figure it was because of jealousy. Though you wouldn't know if it was based on how much he enjoys people) After being put out of Heaven he was crippled. His wings and powers stripped he found himself trapped on Earth.

Lucifer only held a small amount of his angelic power and so he used it to his advantage. He spent most of his time years on Earth or so influencing mankind to evil and then. He did nothing major. Small petty stuff you know? Like push a heroine addict to OD, had some conversations with priests which resulted in the Holy men giving into their sexual desires, got some less then right in the head people to commit acts of mass murder just stuff like that! Then Lucifer just stopped. Nobody knows why exactly.

He just stopped messing with mankind. He took up other hobbies. He started a band for awhile in which oddly enough he played covers of Stairway to Heaven, he worked as a bartender for a bit after that and basically was taking up random odd jobs every 5-10 years or so. He was still doing all these strange things when the apocalypse hit and he vanished. Nobody has seen Lucifer since before all this started.

Not that it matters. Lucifer isn't really a matter of discussion anymore. Nobody knows what happened to him. Its better off that way as not a lot of people (mostly non humans) didn't like him. Most beings considered him harmless once he started working at odd jobs and stopped being an evil being that held a large influence over mankind to a minor Hollywood celeb.

But Lucy is back! From where exactly? Nobody knows! What does he want? God only knows! But seriously he hasn't been doing anything other then hanging around the various destroyed cities and making friendly conversations with soldiers of every faction.

Weapons/items: Carrying weapons ain't his style anymore. Leave that stuff up to the angels and devils.

Magical Talents:

Shapeshifting: Lucifer can morph into anything he pleases. But just because he can doesn't mean he gets their skills nor can he morph into an angel of any kind. He was denied that long ago. Lucifer is simply using your image and voice as his own nothing more.

Charm: He can heavy doses of magic into his words. This makes him quite the irresistible man when he want's to be. Though this power only works best on humans. In his prime he was once able to make much more powerful beings kneel before him with a word. Those days are long gone though.

Other: Lucifer is a bit of an Ace. There isn't really much he doesn't know and not really much he can't do (human wise anyway). For example he can play any instrument he picks up, he knows every stage magic trick, he is fluent every language etc. But none of that really matters to him. He just picked it up because he's been on Earth as long as mankind has been building civilizations (maybe even before that). Also everybody who knows him well enough doesn't like him much.

17. Shandeh

Shandeh Active Member

Have fun with him XD Lucifer shall be a most fascinating addition to our game.

18. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

[MENTION=54572]Shandeh[/MENTION]:

Thanks.

I'm gonna wait for a bit to post. Just until some others go.

19. Shandeh

Shandeh Active Member

ok :) hopefully we get some demons soon, or some soldiers for the demon army at the very least. Also, if anybody wants a Nephilim, just ask :) I don't bite!

20. Macaberz

Fret not, I think Hugo would consider fighting invisible, non-existent enemies quite entertaining enough ;) Not to mention he considers it to be much safer.

21. Shandeh

Shandeh Active Member

hahahahaha, Hugo would, but Death wouldn't be very entertained. Nor would there be much point in the mission-based game mechanic.

22. Keitsumah

i will have to challenge Exalia to a war now... but i guess the challenge would have to include whether he is any good at non-magical chars or not. lol, i'm sure he could play Lilith. I know i could take her up, but if i have one too many chars that eats up all my time and then some get left in the shadows.

23. Shandeh

Shandeh Active Member

Demons use magic XD dark magic, different entirely to what the angels use.

Besides, you'll be busy enough as the FM for the angel army, if all goes according to plan.

24. Macaberz

[MENTION=54572]Shandeh[/MENTION] that sounded so evil in my head...

25. Shandeh

Shandeh Active Member

Good. -rubs hands together with a maniacal cackle-

I have some rather nasty plans. Whether or not they come into fruition is up to where this part of the game takes us.