The personalities of Gods

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Bran, May 12, 2011.

1. Froggy

Froggy New Member

Lol, I'm certainly going to look up the Norse myths sometime. I guess focusing on Latin and ancient Greek as languages, my knowledge of mythology went that way too...
    Ah well, can't learn everything at once...

2. Bran

Bran New Member

norse mythology is fantastic- my favorite in fact. you should really look it up

3. Kio

Kio New Member

Do this research in the library. Though the internet may be reliable, there is a higher chance of you getting information that is actually true. I love the internet as much as the next guy, but the library is probably your best bet. Internet is not always to be trusted unless it ends with .net or .org. Even then, it's best to just pick up a few books and read up on it.

4. Froggy

Froggy New Member

I have a few general books on mythology, once I find them, I'm sure they'll point me to where & what I'll be looking into a bit closer...
    The web is fine, as long as you don't take any information for granted ;) anyways, it would at least help with figuring out what to look up...

5. art

art Contributor Contributor

For the Greek gods: I wouldn't faff about on the internet; just go read Homer.

6. Bran

Bran New Member

thats what im doing right now :D

7. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Well, if it had been, for example, a Christian story, I'd agree with you, but I don't think the old Norsemen thought in terms of good and evil.

For example, Loki sired the Fenris Wolf, who would devour the Sun at the end of times, and the Midgard Serpent, who would kill Thor at the end of times. But he also sired Sleipnir, the eight-legged horse who became very useful as Odin's stead, and brought magical artifacts to the gods, like Thor's hammer Mjolnir, which he used to slay many beasts.

I think the old Norsemen simply saw them as two dangerous beasts, one useful beast, and one useful object, respectively, not as representatives of good or evil. It was in the nature of a wolf to devour things, so that's what it did. It was in the nature of Thor to fight wars and kill dangerous beasts, so that's what he did. It was in the nature of Loki to use trickery, so that's what he did.

The story where he refuses to weep for Baldur does make him seem evil for evil's sake, but there are many other stories where the other gods clearly approve of his trickery and use it for their own ends. For example, the one where a giant offers to build a wall around Asgard in six months in exchange for marrying Freya, and the gods let Loki sabotage the work so they can get out of their promise and kill the giant.

The stories were also told by many different people in many different versions in many different times, so it's possible the same character is evil in some stories and neutral in others.

8. Essemar

Essemar New Member

I think that entirely depends on which god you're looking at. Brage from the Nose Pantheon is typically a bit of a soppy romantic while a god like Odin has many, many different traits ranging from being quite lascivious to being one of the widest gods. But overall, the old gods were fallible like any human being might be. They often portrayed human flaws and generally bred like rabbits. But yeah, just research them :p

9. Essemar

Essemar New Member

Loki didn't exactly bring Thor his hammer. Him and a dwarf were having a competition to see who could make the most magnificent gifts. The dwarf made the hammer and Loki actually tried to sabotage the creation of it, hence why the shaft is slightly to small for Thor.

10. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

They did, the Jotunns were evil, plain and simple, from the very beginning of time. The Eddas make it very clear---if an entire race of creatures made eternal war on the beings that made humanity and vowed to end and did eventually end the world what do you call that? You can't get more evil.

And Christianity isnt the only religion with good fighting evil, it's found in Zoroastrianism, Sumerian/Akkadian mythology, Hittite mythology, Hindu mythology, some forms of Judaism, etc.

11. biswobha5

biswobha5 New Member

god is everything to us. without god even a plant can't move. god can save life of a person. god has created us. god can help in any trouble. god can forgive our sin. god will treat equal to all the members to which he has created.god will help us whenever we call him'
    <a href="http://buyessay.org/creative-writing.html">Creative Writing</a>
    http://buyessay.org/creative-writing.html

12. SteamWolf

SteamWolf New Member

I'd like to suggest including Terry Pratchett's work in your research :D

13. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I think of gods' personalities being rather cocky or overconfident because of their power. They're kind, for the most part, and judicious, but the overconfidence is a layer underneath that.

14. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Most are lustful and childish

15. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

You must read a lot of Sherrilyn Kenyon stuff. ;)