The Phoenix Colony Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Foxee, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Foxee

Foxee Contributor Contributor

Once the globalization of Earth was complete the citizens of the planet were sure that they had achieved peace through unity. The ruling body of the planet is an oligarchy of 'representatives' from all the sectors of the globe.

However, human beings are seldom content for long and power is a powerfully corrupting force.

The representatives themselves become no more than dictators of their sector or puppets of those with power. Overall the government becomes a force that encroaches on most aspects of each citizen's daily life and controls society.

There is no recourse to any other sovereign body. There is only one state.

Revolution, the only hope of the citizens of Earth, is still years in the future. Will our colony be instrumental in that war? Will our descendants (if we have any) start that war?

Does that answer the question? :D

2. Bick

Bick New Member

Haha, very nice. That definitely answers my question :p

3. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

I love the tag line for the RPG Foxee.

4. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Yeah, the tag line is perfect for this rpg.

5. Foxee

Hee hee...I just hope we have some survivors. I wasn't planning on a Greek tragedy. :p

6. Tsukuru

Tsukuru New Member

Alright I set up another guard to work with. I made it a girl for a couple reason: I figured that if the guards were 2 guys and 2 girls, one of each should survive; and I need practice working with a female character. I don't think I've ever gone in-depth with a female character before, and I've done a lot of writing. I'll try not to offend any women present haha.

7. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Hiw about a geek tragedy? (LOL! Cog stop throwing your voice.)

8. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

Hmmmm, I really don't like that quote seeing how i'm the nice guy gaurd getting thrown into a vary dangerus position. Well hey at least i start with a gun. (But their will be freed male prisoners lurking around who can break into the gun case) At least I have back up now.

9. Shadow Dragon

Yeah, I'm kind of hoping that Fox survives but considering the setting and the fact that the people are getting weird powers, who knows what will happen.

10. FoxyMomma

FoxyMomma New Member

If we need more diversity with abilities, do you want me to change mine?

11. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

Fox was the one i was worried about killing me! LOL rebel and government employ don't mix well.

12. Bick

Bick New Member

Wait :p there is a gun storage thing we can break into? Are we sure that's a good idea for Pasha... xD

13. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Remember your main goal is to survive. If we start killing each other off everyone will die. Just cause someone's gonna die, doesn't mean everyone has to. Just be careful lest the somebody is you! (lol. cue scary music)

14. Foxee

Excellent, Tsukuru. I'm sure you won't offend and if you need input from female players I'm sure we'll pitch in and help. Playing an opposite-sex character is great writing practice.
    *groan* That sounds like fodder for another RPG. :D
    Yes, but think of the situation...the first order of business is to get everyone free of the wreckage. The restraints that most of our characters are in are steel overlaid by a polymer. They can only be released by using the proper radio frequency. When the restraints are fastened, not only do the traditional metal parts lock, but the polymer flows together and hardens so that the restraint is a cross between handcuffs and a zip-tie. It is difficult to cut as the polymer dulls cutting tools. The lock cannot be picked because it is encased in polymer.

The prisoners will have very few options (which I can't even think of at this point) with out the guards freeing them.

The restraints can be unlocked from different points:
    1. the manacle unlocked from the wrist or ankle
    2. the manacle unlocked from the chain so that the prisoner is wearing the restraint but not attached to anything
    3. release of the chain anchor behind the wall so that the prisoner is still wearing the restraints and chain and can be chained together with other prisoners.

So your character has some options. If he releases them from the ship and can't really turn them back around to return them to earth they don't have much reason to kill him. Also, other characters may defend him. Don't give up hope!...

...yet. ;)
    I don't know, really. Generally I'm a control freak and I have to keep stifling the urge to tell people they can't do certain things. I would like to let this unfold naturally as possible. No guarantees but everyone should keep to the focus...survive and prevail. Prevail means over the long haul...which will probably include colonizing and strength in numbers.
    Not unless you wish to, Foxy. I just would like to see diversity in new characters signing up. More than one mind reader is realistic for the crapshoot of genetic mutation. ;)

15. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

Oh i don't think this has been covered (but maybe i missed it) what are the day and night temps when we land? What type of area? (Plains, temperate forest, desert, and so on)

16. Chickidy

Chickidy New Member

This sounds interesting, after I finish golfing expect to see a character profile from yours truly.

17. Shadow Dragon

Don't worry, Fox will do whats best for her survival on this planet, even if it means working with a goverment employee.

18. Foxee

Temperature: The cold of early spring...say down to 30-45 degrees F. at night and about 50-60 degrees F. during the day. Very uncomfortable at night if you don't have shelter and blankets...a bit too cold during the day if you don't have a jacket or coat.

Terrain: Mountain foothills, temperate with patchy forests. We've landed on a plateau with other plateaus in sight divided by ravines so that the surrounding area looks like a green raisin with mountains half-circling it. Opposite the mountains the plateaus give way to lowlands and if you go far enough, to an ocean. If you cross the mountains...well...we'll find out if we ever decide to go there, right?

19. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

I've got a feeling Fox and Allen aren't going to get along too well. You never know, they might have met in the past. After all they did frequent the same kind of circles on occasion. ;)

What kind of terrain scale do we have? In other words, how far away are the mountains and lowlands? How deep are the ravines? How big are any obstacles?

20. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

Oh and what systems are still operational on the ship? Metal ships don't tend to burn to the ground. Is it still mainly togeather? Can i just keep everyone locked up until I feel safe (Maybe after they stave to death(Just kidding my char would let them out anyways do to his personality))

21. Foxee

Mountains are about two day's hike away. Lowlands are maybe three days. The ravines are deep enough that falling into one that is steep-sided could really injure someone (or kill them if they are extremely unlucky). Mountains are all snow-capped at this point (winter just ending) though through the summer only two stay snowy at the top. Hope this answers your questions...I really don't want to go look up elevations, etc. at this point.
    You'll get more info when I post the intro but the front of the transport was torn off in the crash, previously damaged by the initial asteroid hit and further crushed in the crash. Very little is still operational though with some work and very clever rigging one MIGHT be able to get the main computer working enough to get some navigational or communications systems online. Whether they would do you any good is doubtful.

Again...the intro will be up soon and you'll get a better feel for this then.

22. Foxee

Okay, the intro is up! I hope it's clear enough. Have at it, people!

23. Chickidy

Chickidy New Member

I missed it by 8 minutes, damn, talk about being unlucky!

24. Bick

Bick New Member

Reading it now :p Super excited.

25. Foxee

Not at all, Chickidy! You're in. Edit: btw, your character is one of the few who can move relatively freely at the start.

Thanks, Bick! I'm really excited to see this take off.