1. Alstroemeria

Alstroemeria Member

The poetic "-èd"

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Alstroemeria, Dec 20, 2015.

Is the poetic "-èd" acceptable in modern verse? Do modern-day poetic critics see it simply as a lazy way of adding a syllable to a line? Myself, I am using it in my current poem to romanticise a word that would otherwise be pedestrian, even clinical - but I am worried that it may be archaic. My word is "prescribèd".

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I would read it as archaic - my understanding is that historically, ALL "ed" endings were pronounced - when we read Shakespeare, we're supposed to pronounce the "ed" endings in order to get the rhythm and rhyme correct. But in a modern piece, with all the other pronunciations fitting modern standards? Yeah, it would read like a cheat, to me.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I think it's a bit archaic as well, though I've seen some modern poets use this technique. Given the choice, I wouldn't use it, but that's totally up to you. I think it just sounds and looks weird with longer words like "prescribed." Just my opinion.

Alstroemeria likes this.
  4. Alstroemeria

Alstroemeria Member

Could you give me examples of the modern poets? Thank you!

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Unfortunately, I can't remember off the top of my head. The poems I saw were in magazines and anthologies, and I don't really know the poets. If you really want, you can look at some modern poems in magazines and anthologies, and see if you can find any examples there. If I remember or come across any specific examples, I'll let you know.