1. wolfi

wolfi New Member

Any other six stringers here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by wolfi, Dec 6, 2010.

Any one else play a six string? (guitar for those who may not know)

2. Radio With Static Arms

Radio With Static Arms New Member

I'm really trying to learn but it's harder than I expected. I can play a few simple acoustic songs but nothing too complicated, Right Away Great Captain, Nick Drake, that sort of thing.

3. wolfi

wolfi New Member

I've been playing for a few years and I learned one thing

some times the essayist songs are the hardiest
    to play
    how long you been playing?

4. Radio With Static Arms

Radio With Static Arms New Member

About half a year, really. Still haven't picked up much, just basic chords really.

5. wolfi

wolfi New Member

The hardest basic chord for me was the Am and D
    (I don't count F as basic)

Half a year is about right form what you told me you can do
    thats when you start playing simple songs

Do you have a teacher or are you self taught?

6. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

I have a classical guitar I have been trying to learn, on and off for most of the year. I know some of the major and minor chords, but still need practice switching between them; its a bit difficult because of my small hands.

7. wolfi

wolfi New Member

My hands are huge, I'm lucky in a sense but even then i had a problem switching, heck i still do.
    The one thing i learned is when you have small hands you MUST learn how to anchor, learning how will help in so many ways, do you know what i mean when i say anchor right?

If you do just ignore this pos.t :D

A mind chord
    0 open
    1 index
    2 middle
    2 ring

C major
    0 open
    1 INDEX
    0 open
    2 Midlle
    3 Ring
    As you can see the index is on the third string first fret both times and the middle is on the 5 string 2 fret,
    use this to your advantage so now you only have to move one finger the ring.

Many new guys take their whole hand off of their guitar when they change chord and thats a big no,
    you need to anchor if you want to have a "smooth" feeling. it is possible to not anchor and still get it but its hard with small hands.

Like anything if you practice you can learn with out anchoring, but it will help you get there three times faster if you anchor

8. Pallas

I didn't know what anchoring is but I haven't been lifting my entire hand, just repositioning my free fingers to the next chord as tutorials suggest. Thanks for the tip nonetheless. I have been practicing Give A Little Bit, but I still have pauses, so onward with more practice.

9. wolfi

wolfi New Member

pretty much what your doing, anchoring is a fancy name guitarist who want to sound more smart say :D

also if you have small hands depending on the size of your guitar their may be smaller ones, heck I've seen full grown adults use the so called "kid guitars"
    regardless of what some guy says, only thing that makes them kids guitars is they are built for small hands, in other words yours.

they cost less (uesaly) every now and then a company will get it in their heads that since they "special make them" they should cost more

but thats rare and never seems to last long

but trust me there are many, many, many, all time greats who had puny hands.

10. Pallas

Well I have no intention of becoming one of the greats, but I do what I can with the guitar I have; there are no people with musical inclination in my family so I'll start it off with the family guitar that was just rotting in a closet somewhere. The neck is broader than an acoustic, but I will probably only get one if I become better at playing.

There are actually a couple of more guitarists on the boards, user Lavarian is frontman for a band I think, and user Yellow is a fellow beginner as well.

11. wolfi

wolfi New Member

I started with an old acoustic guitar that was older then me and had never changed its string in the 20 or so years it was around ( lots and lots of pain when i first played it )

After a year the guitar had become unplayable and i moved on to an electric form First act, which i think their called that because thats as long as they will last.

Then i got another guitar it was "ok" and i still use it today, but my pride and joy, (which btw was the first song i learned on it) a 500$ guitar that many says it the most beautiful guitar they have ever seen
    its a sunburst Squire Stratcaster (made by fender for those who don't know)

i also have a 600 $ amp, a line 6 amp, spider jam 2.0

in other words pure win ;)

I'm saving up for another guitar, probably going to be an acoustic

rule #1 never enough guitars EVER

12. Pallas

That sounds pretty boss, man. Electric guitar playing is very nice but loud, I went to a rock club once and my ears were ringing the entire night, haha.

I plan on eventually getting an acoustic guitar, but the dude at guitar center said I shouldn't get anything under $300, and he showed me a black fender I think. Maybe when I am better and have money :(

The guitar I play is my father's old Yamaha G231; he must have gotten it when he first came to this country in the early 80's so its as old as I am.

13. wolfi

wolfi New Member

Meh, electrics can get loud, but my house has a rule, that says i cant go over 6 on the master volume (which is loud)
    but in my house its always around three
    low enough to bother no one else
    loud enough to rock out to
    when im playing for a crowd it goes higher and i sometimes wear ear buds

I've thought of getting a Yamaha
    but i learned not to pick by brand but by what ever feels right

I've played a Gibson then played a generic rip off and the rip off sounded better

each guitar is deferent

14. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

I'm also a newbie guitar player. I know a few basics and have some easy songs and chords that I'm attempting to learn-made harder by my very limited amount of free time....

15. Pallas

I want to hear the Yellowtones one day; shred that axe yellow! :)

1 person likes this.
  16. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

Anybody compose/play music :]?

I've been playing piano for about 7 years, and guitar for one year :D
    I composed a couple of songs, too :]

17. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Hi! I don't make my own music but it's super cool that you do! I'm obsessed with listening to music...I can't fall asleep at night unless I have my mp3 player in haha.

18. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

Haha when I learn to actually play a couple songs the yellowtones will definately be in bussiness :cool:

Definately true

When i was picking out my guitar I tried out this one Martin that was about $600-it was an awesome guitar with beautiful tone quality, however it was way out of my price range and also a little too good for my skill level (the guy at guitar center had me try it for that reason though, so i could feel what it was like)

Anyways the guitar I got was a good deal cheaper and not quite as nice (it's a fantastic guitar though) but it had almost the same tone quaility as the Martin.

That Martin is kind of my eventual dream guitar right now, however I absolutely adore the guitar I have now which is a Takamine G-series :)

19. Walrusdragon

Walrusdragon New Member

I have been playing for about 6 years I think. However with college and work I dont practice anywhere near as much as I used to. I played in the high school jazz band my last two years. My senior year was awsome. Right after lunch I had a band class that was basicly a class where you could practice whatever you wanted so I got to play my guitar and right after that class was jazz band. However being almost purely a metal guy playing jazz was a little odd but it was pretty fun sometimes.

20. wolfi

wolfi New Member

It's good to know I'm not the only one here, I tend to play rock, blues, metal, and also P&W. (some don't think its a genre all it means is worship songs)

My big thing right now is Blues\ old rock
    60's 70's 80's

metal is mainly more of a "yeah i wish i could play that how about i try to now?"

I usually don't learn the whole song when it comes to metal

not because i cant i just lose the drive most of them tend to be kind of simple (fast but simple)

then again so is a lot of the rock
    hmm maybe im just to lazy\suck

21. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

I play and sing. Have sang for quite a while and recently added guitar. (Been playing guitar for just over a year)
    Since I was sick last weekend, my band rescheduled studio time to record my vocals for this saturday. If I catch another cold before then, I'm going to be furious.

I'm pretty excited to get all our stuff recorded.

22. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

Yes, I've got several original songs now- a couple are on my youtube channel. (Lots of music threads lately- definitely not a bad thing :D)

23. AshaLee1627

AshaLee1627 New Member

I've been playing piano for many years, and have tried composing my own stuff, but it always turns out sounding like an overly simplified lullaby...clearly I do not have the mind for complex compositions, but I have loads of respect for those who do!

24. Screams of Silence

Screams of Silence New Member

I've played guitar for 10 years, mostly speed metal like Cradle of Filth and Children of Bodem. Been in a few bands, played quite a few shows, but nothing close to big time.

I'm finally getting to the point to where I can play almost anything by ear, but that's still a work in progress lol

25. wolfi

wolfi New Member

Your 3000 times up on the rest of us

my first gig was in front of 4000 teens
    (youth retreat talent show for Christians)

that was the first and last time i played in front of lots of people every now and then i play in front of friends but im mainly just playing for fun
    that and oh boy was i scared
    i barely got out of there alive just ftom sher shyness

if your wondering i rocked the house
    with "demon hunter" and some of my own guitar noddling