1. MythicMirror

MythicMirror New Member

The position of said in dialogues

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by MythicMirror, Apr 24, 2019.

Dialogue is important for a story. Dialog is a TOOL for an author! It animates scenes. It shows the personality of Character X and Character Y while they’re discussing.

But does it matter if the action is at the beginning, in the middle or at the end?

For example:

Sarah walked into Tommy’s direction. “You stole my EyePhone!”

“Me?” He asked with big, shocked eyes. “Why should I do that?”

“You know why.” Sarah’s face turned red. She looked like a volcano, which was going to erupt.

Does it change anything?

Shenanigator and jannert like this.
  2. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

Action beats double as pauses in speech. The longer they are written, the longer the implied pause.

Accounting for flow and the sound of repetition, or how snappy you want it to sound, the sooner the better.

If you wait until after a long piece of dialog that needs an action beat, the reader is left wondering who is talking.

So usually, I like it at the beginning, or at the first natural verbal pause.

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

It doesn't matter, except that where you put it changes the rhythm of the narrative. I say put it in the position that sounds best to your ear in terms of the flow of the overall narrative.

4. SolZephyr

SolZephyr Member Supporter

Honestly, I think it does. It affects the pacing and implies an order to when things are happening. For instance, in your example with Tommy, it tells me Sarah started walking before talking.

LoaDyron, Shenanigator and jannert like this.
  5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I think it's also important to avoid repetition when placing a dialogue attribution. But as @John Calligan said, it's also really important that the reader can follow who is speaking. It's important at any time, but especially if the dialogue runs on for a while—even if there are only two people involved.

If the reader blinks at, say, the 5th line of unattributed dialogue between two people, it's easy to get mixed up about who is saying what. So early attribution for clarity's sake is good, but probably try to mix it up a bit. Action beats are great because they add more to the scene, so I like to use them a lot. As John said, they're best placed during natural verbal pauses, or at the beginning of a speaker's contribution to the conversation (again, for clarity). As the OP's example did with Sarah walked in Tommy's direction.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  6. Partridge

Partridge Senior Member

I mix it up, all dependent on what feels right at the time. I agree with Jannert that action beats are very important, and I use them way more than "he said" "she said" etc.
    After a while you'll just "know" how to use them.

7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

QFT

I generally try to change it up in order to avoid long lists of blah bob said, meh ted said

8. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Ditto to mixing it up, and if the characters are doing something other than sitting across from one another talking*, I get up and act it out to check the pacing. Then I adjust the tags and beats accordingly.

*In my WIP, the characters shouldn't be sitting still, so there's a lot of acting it out as I write.

Cave Troll and jannert like this.
  9. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I am not sure anymore. Got kinda schooled that the best way
    to portray dialogue is to follow it by 'action' of some sort, and
    the reader can imply the rest of it. Seems using said/say is
    not trendy, from the perspective of the ladies at LC group.
    Mind you, one is an editor, so it kinda adds a touch of weight
    to that discussion.
    For me, IDK, since having a wide and varied amount of talky
    bits that are implied by vocal range, that say/said is the normal
    level of speech, and so thought that it would be good to use it
    as way to differentiate and moderate the entire 'vocal' range
    of the right d-tag to use for a given situation. It has been suggested
    to drop the say/said pretty much entirely, and use descriptors
    that enhance the speech (where possible).

So I guess use your best judgement...? o_O

Shenanigator likes this.
  10. Radrook

Radrook Banned Contributor

Hemingway just writes what the characters are saying and lets the reader assume who is doing the talking by the logical flow of the conversation.

Cave Troll likes this.
  11. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I don't think this is accurate, at least not universally. From "Hills Like White Elephants" (the first Hemingway story that came to mind):

"They look like white elephants," she said.
    "I've never seen one," the man drank his beer.
    "No, you wouldn't have."
    "I might have," the man said. "Just because you say I wouldn't have doesn't prove anything."
    The first two tags are clearly there to set the order of the conversation, but the "the man said" in the final line isn't necessary for that purpose, and Hemingway still threw it in there. Maybe he thought the line needed a beat?

I agree that he's light on dialogue tags (the full text I cut and pasted from is at https://faculty.weber.edu/jyoung/English%202500/Readings%20for%20English%202500/Hills%20Like%20White%20Elephants.pdf, if anyone want to read). And actually, there are times when it isn't clear to me who's speaking, like:

The man called "Listen" through the curtain.
    The woman came out from the bar.
    "Four reales."
    "We want two Anis del Toro."
    "With water?"
    "Do you want it with water?"
    "I don't know," the girl said. "Is it good with water?"
    "It's all right."
    "You want them with water?" asked the woman.
    "Yes, with water."
    "It tastes like licorice," the girl said and put the glass down.
    "That's the way with everything."​

I've read this story a dozen times at least and still don't know who says "four reales" or why. I'm also not clear who says "It's all right," although I think it's the man. And the lack of narrative between "Yes, with water" (said by the man?) and "It tastes like licorice" is also confusing. Clearly the woman has gone away, mixed the drinks, and returned, but there's no indication of that in the text.

This story is renowned for being a story in which the reader has to figure out the important subtext from the banal text, and maybe Hemingway was trying to create some kind of effect by leaving the dialogue attribution unclear, but it's annoying to me. It makes the story something I can study and respect, but not something I'd read for simple enjoyment. (That's my feeling on Hemingway in general, to be honest)

Radrook likes this.
  12. Radrook

Radrook Banned Contributor

Yes, I know. I was referring to passages like the following from the novel For Whom the Bell Tolls

Then we have this passage from the short story: A well-Lighted Place

That is what I meant. He often employs that no-dialogue tag technique and the reader is expected to infer who the speaker is.

Also, I agree, the technique can cause reader confusion. So one has to be very careful in making sure that the speaker's identity is clear by inserting dialogue tags occasionally.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  13. Gary Wed

Gary Wed Active Member

Lets start by taking the concept of MIXING IT UP and throwing that out the window. Also, take the concept of JUST BE CONSISTENT and throw that out, too. Once we've cleaned the shop, we can start to get serious about how to handle dialogue and feed off of the concept of IT VARIED BASED UPON FLOW, which is vague, but closer to true.

Words take up space and they generally imply time, both physically and in terms of wearing the reader out. So, for example, writing this:

Joe paused for thought, then said, "Alright. Open the door, if you want."
    is the exact same thing (pace wise) as saying:
    Joe rubbed his forehead then nodded. "Alright. Open the door, if you want."

But these two things are not the same thing (pace wise):
    "I was meaning to say that--"
    "Cut the crap, Joe." Bill smacked the table.
    versus
    "I was meaning to say that--"
    Bill interrupted, "Cut the crap, Joe." (note how saying he interrupted is redundant, unnecessary and provides time/space where we definitely do not want it.)

Pace is god. In dialogue, in particular, it's the father, son and holy ghost.

That said, where you put your thoughts, dialogue tags and action beats (or none at all) is CONTINUALLY TACTICAL. That is to say that good writers consider where and when and how much EVERY SINGLE LINE. As writers mature, they do this second nature, but they do it nonetheless. Notice how none of this relates to consistency or to mixing it up. How do either of those thoughts even relate to saying that tactically this is exactly my intent on this line and for this section of exchange? Hell, you might not mix it up at all, if that coincidentally is the structure that fits the bill.

Let me extend this a tad to a related thought. Look at the two examples above. In one we have Joe pausing or rubbing his head and nodding. In example two we have Bill smacking the table. Those are small things. In the case of nodding, cliché and overdone. If you fill up your work with lots of tiny, relatively meaningless actions, your work is relatively meaningless actions. A work of meaninglessness is itself meaningless. Do you see where I'm going with that?

So, while learning how to use action beats in place of dialogue tags and how to keep the reader moving along at the pace you design by good placement, consider that you might be promoting good mechanics but not delivering content worth reading. That said, this subject never ends and has now become forth dimensional in complexity. Great writers deliver. By that I mean, everything counts. Sometimes it's best to make those five word action beats into three sentence content. That, in turn, will slow pace (usually you want the opposite), meaning that you compensate by more naked dialogue in other places, meaning that you calculate when to go at length, base upon material and intent. See how all of that expands and contracts on your butt, never giving you a moment's peace on this issue. The words CONTINULALY TACTICAL take on even more expansive light. And the terms MIXING IT UP, and JUST BE CONSISTENT, well off the table.

Maverick_nc likes this.
  14. ZoomerWriter

ZoomerWriter Banned

Using said is perfectly fine. Though sometimes said is a little redundant since you already can tell who "said" it by context.

15. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

for me it often depends on how many people are in a scene - if there's just two you can use tags/beats much more sparingly since its obvious who is speaking.

with three or more you need more attribution

on the question of action beats instead of tags - its a good idea used sparingly, but you see writing from new writers where the characters are like nodding dogs and every line is accompanied by a physical movement

Bill rubbed his eyes "lets go to the duck and fox"
    "Shit in there" Ted shrugged
    "lots of girls though" Bob rubbed his hands on his jeans
    Barry ran his fingers through his hair "stop moaning lets just go"
    "not going anywhere yet" Dan changed the wheel on his car

Dorafjol and jannert like this.