0.0%
  2. Lord Sauron

50.0%
  3. RJK

50.0%
  1. G.A. Kainne

G.A. Kainne Member

The Puppet Master Villain

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by G.A. Kainne, Jan 30, 2017.

I have been developing a story and characters over the past few years. I plan on creating a novel that is very bizarre and gives an explanation for many of the unexplainable things that make society question the origins of. Basically the story is Fantasy but I plan on blending the timeline of my story to ours here on Earth. My primary Villain is not to be revealed till the second book which is a prequel to the first. He is a master manipulator and controls almost everything that happens in the story line including the villain in the first book. My question is how do I make a villain liked by the audience in the first book but at the same time hint the darkness within? I already have several characters not trusting this person in my story line and they call him out, even threaten him. I also have moments arise like when he is first introduced when he acts like is being attacked, but really was meeting up in secret with his would be attackers. But is that simple enough? Maybe I am overthinking the whole thing I really don't know...

Who is RJK?

2. G.A. Kainne

G.A. Kainne Member

Sorry for the lengthy Original Post...

3. Freddy van Zandt

Freddy van Zandt New Member

The best way to.make a villain liked by your readers is for them to be entirely genuine - or, at least they do not outright lie. They believe in their goals, and they admire those who are technically opposed to them for their conviction, even if they do not hold their same views. They twist their enemies I to being their pawns by simple virtue of being likeable and able to explain why what they are having the heroes do is, in fact, working toward their goals of being better people.

The poll is a bit off for this purpose. The best villain wouldn't be Voldemort, nor would it be Sauron. The best villains in each of these are Horcruxes themselves and the One Ring, for the promises they give of power, influence, and becoming more than oneself, all to an evil end.

4. G.A. Kainne

G.A. Kainne Member

I think you may have misunderstood what I meant by likeable... I am writing a story that the villain mastermind isn't revealed till the second book. But he is one of the main characters in the first book. That's why I was having trouble but I think I kind of have the hang of it so far...

5. Freddy van Zandt

Freddy van Zandt New Member

No, I had that in mind. If it seems that the character is hiding too many things, people will be immediately suspicious. If he seems genuine, however, people will be more likely to just say "eh, he's a bit of a creep, but every story needs a Lancer, right?"

6. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Make him one of the more important characters of the first book, yet make him do some things that are left unexplained. I'd suggest even writing his general character arc for your second book and then adding small details here and there that will hint at it.