The Puppet Show...

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Wreybies, Dec 5, 2016.

1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Are you sure ? I thought it was just a case of enabling the 'areas' tab in the profiles - it gives total post counts by sub forum rather than percentage but it still does basically what you are looking for

Below is a screen shot from Talk Photography which is also running on xen foro showing that tab in action (i'd be happy to put you in touch with their admin, Marcel, if you want to pm me an email address.)

TP screenshot.png

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Well bend me over and call me darlin'.... Actually that looks like a plug-in. Xenforo is infamous for selling plugins to make things like this work. Yeah, man, if you could just ask them if that's a plug-in that would be super-sweet.

@Daniel, is this something that's basic to the back-end just neding a switch flipped or is this a plug-in?

3. Wreybies

4. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

5. Wreybies

It's kinda' like an application, though there are seperate other things for Xenforo that are called applications, which are different. It's basically just an add-on function in a little packet of code that one installs into the structure of the basic software. Daniel is the only with the access to do this. My admin functions do not give me "keys" to all the rooms of our little Downton Abbey. ;)

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  6. antlad

antlad Banned

Like a language mod, where an app would be like adding Hey you can now upload and caption an image, even put it in a goofy frame if you want.
    Plug-ins provide basic additional functionality. Apps provide additional functionality that users will probably request.
    Sometime do a search for open source social network. It is usually very easy to see the differences, and the things that can be built and added.

7. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    That is so weird. I had lengthy discussions with a sockpuppeteer. I was a victim of sockpuppeting. :p
    The recent ones mentioned kinda makes sense now that you mention it. They seemed to mesh a little to well
    with the over the top and at times obtuse agreement on things.

I caused a bit of trouble when I was green. Now I either take time out to cool off, or use the Thumper Defense instead (Thumper from Bambi) :p

@Wreybies You're Awesome! :supersmile:

Spencer1990 and Lea`Brooks like this.
  8. Wreybies

It happens to the best of us. ;) I got a couple of dings way back at the beginning too. It's not a death sentence. :dead: :-D

:supercool:

Cave Troll likes this.
  9. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Yeah I remember when you freaked out at me. Of all people.

10. Cave Troll

Yeah, and I apologize for that. I have managed to keep myself in check. I hate being that guy.
    I is only hooman, and makes lots of dumb decisions, but working on not repeating them.

matwoolf and 123456789 like this.
  11. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Don't worry, I freaked out on him too when I first joined. :bigtongue:

Spencer1990 and 123456789 like this.
  12. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Is it my turn?

Spencer1990 likes this.
  13. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

An apology is a lot more than I have gotten from all the others!

Cave Troll and Spencer1990 like this.
  14. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Gee, I can't imagine why anyone would freak out on you, of all people. :superwink:

Lea`Brooks likes this.
  15. Cave Troll

@123456789 Sometimes you just need to remind us obtuse people with good smack on the nose with
    a rolled up newspaper that we are getting out of line. :p
    BadPuppy.png

16. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    ...and some people pay extra for that. Hey, aren't you one of them?

matwoolf, Cave Troll and Spencer1990 like this.
  17. Cave Troll

@Iain Aschendale I spend more time on the teaching end of that. Kinda freaks 'em out. :supergrin:
    (#NoSMLove):superwink:

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  18. Cave Troll

@Iain Aschendale I spend more time on the teaching end of that. Kinda freaks 'em out. :supergrin:
    (#NoSMLove):superwink:

19. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Wow, I apparently missed some drama! I used to be heavily involved a skeptics message board where they was a huge sock puppet scandal, but that was at least 10 years ago - I had no idea sock-puppeting was still such a rampant problem.

It's lovely to be part of a community that pays such close attention to this sort of behavior and moderates both swiftly and fairly. Big ups to @Wreybies and all the other mods for making the forum and awesome place to hang and discuss.

20. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

I have never been a forum-person and probably I am not good at it. This here is the first and only forum I hang out, but I wouldn't do that if I wouldn't be comfortable. I don't have experience to compare and my judgement is suspect, but @Wreybies and our other mods: take it as a compliment that I am around ;)

big soft moose and Komposten like this.
  21. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I was once a mod on a wildlife forum where it turned out that one of the mods was sock puppeting. He was a really 'special' individual who apparently was creating trolls and disrupting threads so that he could get membership adulation for riding in as the 'hero' and saving the day. Sad ... very sad. When we banned him there was of course hell to pay from the membership about what a good guy he was.

22. Albeit

Albeit Active Member

That sort of thing happened on another forum I was quite involved in a few years back which had to do with the industry I have worked in most of my life. One of the admins turned into a pathetic monster with duplicate user accounts and was becoming so completely out of control and boisterous that I was feeling sorry for him in a way. I decided to knock him down a notch via the help of the other mods who knew him from the start of that forum and admitted that he was way out of line. Similar to the whole Walt Kurtz thing, in a lighter way of course.

Wrote a flash fiction piece about it in one of the contests here on WF called "The Fog Horn".

It is sad sometimes to see people you were once friends with become overwhelmed & paranoid from having access to the huge back end and ugly underbelly of a forum full of egos run amok.

IMHO as a new member here, this place is aces. Thanks to those who work hard at keeping it clean.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    Catrin Lewis likes this.
  23. Wreybies

To my knowledge we've never had a mod use a sock-puppet here, though we do have a couple of "dummy accounts" that we use when we need to view the forum as a regular member. As anyone who has modded a forum will tell you, the view is not the same when you're a mod or admin and occasionally glitches or issues that arise make a dummy account handy to have so we can see the forum as the membership sees it. And as the software platform goes through updates, it's handy to have those accounts to note GUI changes for regular members so that when you ask us where stuff is, we can know without guessing. Xenforo allows for a permissions testing mode that approximates this, but I've noted that it's only an approximation and not really the same as being signed in as a regular member.

We did, way in the long ago past, have one of our original supermods blow a fuse and wreak some havoc in our domain. If you've ever wondered why the owner here is kinda' tight about who has keys to sensitive back-end areas, that's why. It's perfectly understandable given what happened during that event.

24. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I don't envy the jobs of forum moderators. @Wreybies, you do a hell of a job here.

Wreybies likes this.
  25. Wreybies

Thanks, man. :)

For the sake of transparency and given the above disclosure of dummy accounts, this is the one I use. Again, it serves a purpose. You'll note the three warnings it has. There was a time when we had just flipped to Xenforo from VBulletin where we were making adjustments to where warning PM's were being logged and who got copies of them. The warnings you see here are me conducting tests.

Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 11.27.37 AM.png