1. Rink85

Rink85 New Member

A Child Called It

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Rink85, Jul 16, 2008.

I never got a chance to read this one until lately, when a friend suggested it to me. But when I did, I was hooked. It is probably one of the saddest books I have ever read, and I read the entire thing in one sitting.

It seems that it's always the true stories that are the most terrifying - real life is so much scarier than fiction.

Has anyone read this one, and if so, what did you think? After reading it, did it give you a new perspective on the world, the way it did me? I don't think I ever really understood or quite believed in the extent of child abuse until I read this book.

2. Harmire

Harmire New Member

Yeah, I've been itching to read it for a while. I think I'll stop down at the library and check it out soon.

3. topper

topper New Member

It's unimaginable.

4. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

I had to stop halfway through because it made me feel ill reading it. I haven't picked it back up yet and I don't know if I ever will.

5. Rink85

Rink85 New Member

Ill is just the word to describe it. I almost couldn't finish, but I had to, because I was desperate to know what happened to him.

Like I said, real life is so much scarier than fiction.

6. DrJoe

DrJoe New Member

someplace that isn't actually a place but actually
    The way to write effective horror is to write realistic horror.

Unfortunately, A Child Called It is the most real horror gets.

7. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I have never read it myself, but someone was talking about it in school before. Is that the one wehre the mother abuses the child, making him eat things off the floor and stuff ??

8. Rink85

Rink85 New Member

Yes, but it's much, much worse than that.

She makes him swallow ammonia, which burns his throat and creates a bubble so that he can't breathe.

She doesn't feed him. And then she makes him puke up his own stomach contents to make sure he isn't eating, and if scraps come up, she forces him to swallow them back down.

She mixes Clorox and ammonia (which creates a toxic gas, for those who possibly didn't know that) and locks him in the bathroom with it.

When he was young, she put him on a hot stove and held him there until he had horrible burns on his back.

-- And this is only the beginning.

To her, it's all a game from which she gets a sick thrill. But there's nothing he can do about it, because he's frightened that if he tells someone, his mother will find out and torture him again. He has no one to turn to, no one who really cares or will help him. I was nearly in tears reading it, but I couldn't put it down. I was horrified that a person could do that to anyone, much the less their own child.

I realize I have given away some spoilers, but it's still a must-read. I could not begin to explain to you the emotion he will make you feel.

If you're one of those people who gets queasy easily, my recommendation would be to spare yourself. But if you want a new perspective on the true evil of the world, you must pick it up.

9. Rink85

Rink85 New Member

Do you mean to say that you did not think this book was horrifying enough?

Or did I misunderstand?

Please correct me if I misunderstood.

I read quite a bit of horror, but for me, this one beat all. Maybe it's just a personal opinion - I don't know.

10. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

My mum read this book quiet a few years back and handed it to me, which i never picked up.. but i believe i really must give it a read.

Kind of a bit scared to now. But real life horror takes the cake in the scare factor in my opinion.

11. Creaking Silence

Creaking Silence New Member

I read this in one day, because you can't stop reading it. It's very disturbing, and the worst part is: it has happened, and it's happening. It's just terrible. I read this a few years ago, and I never want to read it again. It made me sick to think about mothers who would do that to their child.

/CreakingSilence/