The Science Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Louanne Learning, Aug 2, 2022.

1. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Too much yeast in the gut can cause something called Auto Brewery Syndrome.

Also known as gut fermentation syndrome, or the drunkenness disease, it happens when the body turns sugary and starchy foods into alcohol, making you drunk without drinking any alcohol.

It can be controlled with diet.

https://www.healthline.com/health/auto-brewery-syndrome

Madman likes this.
  2. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Louanne Learning likes this.
  3. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

In the first 2-3 years of life, brains develop by forming connections between neurons, and paring away the neurons that are not used.

All according to how the brain is stimulated.

The article says that in the the first three years of life, 1000 trillion connections between neurons are processed!

Not the Territory likes this.
  4. Louanne Learning

'On Visible Light'

by Donna Kane

Knowledge is the fruiting body of light,
    and light the fruiting body of photons
    at the end of traveling through our nights

to reach the velvet chair, the common snipe,
    where we see that in an object's reflection,
    knowledge is the fruiting body of light.

Just a slice of electromagnetic
    wavelength and sight is ours, a blindness gone
    at the end of traveling through our nights.

All this way and yet something's not right.
    This blue color we see is the chair's rejection.
    Knowledge is the fruiting body of light

whose shadows dog us. Might this be the heart
    of why we fail to reach satisfaction

Always wanting what is beyond our sight,
    always drawn toward the parts still hidden.
    Knowledge is the fruiting body of light

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/poem-on-visible-light/

Xoic likes this.
  5. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Next the Dodo bird, and then Velociraptors. We're all doomed!!

6. Louanne Learning

Certainly captures the imagination. Big hurdles to overcome.

Bringing back the Tasmanian tiger would resurrect Tasmania's top predator and help restore ecosystem balance, but how can the genetic variation required for long-term survival be achieved?

7. Louanne Learning

8. Xoic

They should listen to Mary Shelley—she foretold what the consequences would be for messing with the blueprint of life! Her and Jeff Goldblum.

9. Louanne Learning

Ah, yes, The Fly. Have you ever seen the original from 1958?

10. Xoic

Well I was thinking more:
    [​IMG]
    But sure, The Fly too, why not? Genetic experiments gone wild!

Yes, I've seen the original. When I was a kid that little fly with the human head trapped in the spider's web saying "Help me! Help me!" as the spider closed in really freaked me out! The stuff of nightmares before we knew what good special effects looked like.

11. Louanne Learning

I remember being scared by it as a kid, too.

Xoic likes this.
  12. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

13. Louanne Learning

MartinM likes this.
  14. MartinM

MartinM Banned

Here’s a little something for the science thread...

Do you think we as a species will reach a technological discovery plateau? We simply run out of things to discover. Physics is going through a slow period at the moment. How many more secrets does the universe have left to reveal? Exploration for discovery’s sake won’t be enough. Oh, look another star systems with all the general make up we could have guessed. Nothing to see here, move along...

Technological singularity - Wikipedia

The singularity is a hypothetical point in time where we see an accelerating uncontrollable technological growth that pushes human civilization to its next level of evolution. People living in the 1820s experiencing the industrial revolution would have seen the world completely change in just a few short years. The year 1994 for something closer to home. And now, things feel to be speeding up again. Somewhat uncontrollably, leaving us unable to trust news media or our leaders, becoming more immersed in a virtual world run by the device in our pocket…

Kardashev scale - Wikipedia

How far can we go? At some point discoveries will plateau as it becomes increasing harder to find something new. I’ve spoken about the Kardashev scale before as a method of measuring a civilizations level of technological advancement based on the amount of energy it is able to use.

We are currently Type 0.75, with a forecast of 200 years reaching Type I. At which point we’ll be able to harness all the energy from our Sun. Kardashev believes it would take a further 3,200 years to reach type II and then another 5,800 years to reach type III. That’s less than 10,000 years total. In the grand scheme of things, a drop in the ocean time wise.

I believe by the time of Type II we would already know what is needed for type III. Its just scalability rather than new discoveries. In fact, before we even reach type II, I’d assume our learning curve would have already collapsed.

In the year 4,022 AD would children at school in a History Lesson be shown History’s subsection called Science?

MartinM

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    Louanne Learning and Madman like this.
  15. Louanne Learning

The idea of technological singularity made me think of hive mind, often called group mind in science fiction, a phenomenon enhanced by the internet and social media.

We'll find this superintelligence online. The potential is there to control the collective consciousness. Already, we see large groups acting as one mind online.

The Kardashev scale is fascinating, and seems required reading for anyone writing futuristic science fiction.

It will take huge leaps and bounds of technological advancement to reach even a Type I civilization. It would require that we boost our energy production by over 100,000 times. It requires that we have control over all natural forces—volcanoes, weather and even earthquakes. There is a lot of work to be done.

A Type II civilization would have the ability to move Earth out of the way of any object entering out solar system.

https://futurism.com/the-kardashev-scale-type-i-ii-iii-iv-v-civilization

Interesting question. In a lot of ways, what we do in the next 100 years will determine our long range fate.

But I am optimistic.

Madman, OurJud and MartinM like this.
  16. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

The space-set sitcom Red Dwarf is set 3,000,000 into the future (via deep sleep). My mind can’t even begin to comprehend what Earth and the human race would be like, in the extremely unlikely event they still existed.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    Madman, MartinM and Louanne Learning like this.
  17. Louanne Learning

MartinM and Earp like this.
  18. Louanne Learning

Are any of your characters addicts? Does addiction enter into your stories?

Please have a look: The opposite of addiction is not sobriety, it is connection.

As highly social animals, our instinct to attach/connect/bond is strong. But if a person is unable to connect to others in meaningful ways, they are at risk for addiction.

An addiction is a bond made with whatever the user is addicted to, a bond so all-consuming no other connections matter.

Treatment must involve making meaningful, healthy connections with supportive, empathetic people.

For an overview of the Rat Park Experiments that helped direct this shift in addiction thinking, please watch:

19. Louanne Learning

There are some who say flowers gave rise to life on Earth and made possible poetry, science and music.

BLOOM
    by Emily Dickinson

Bloom — is Result — to meet a Flower
    And casually glance
    Would cause one scarcely to suspect
    The minor Circumstance
    Assisting in the Bright Affair
    So intricately done
    Then offered as a Butterfly
    To the Meridian —
    To pack the Bud — oppose the Worm —
    Obtain its right of Dew —
    Adjust the Heat — elude the Wind —
    Escape the prowling Bee
    Great Nature not to disappoint
    Awaiting Her that Day —
    To be a Flower, is profound
    Responsibility —

Bloom: The Evolution of Life on Earth and the Birth of Ecology

[​IMG]

OurJud and Madman like this.
  20. Louanne Learning

On Neptune and Uranus, diamonds rain down from the skies.

Researchers have been trying to figure out why Neptune's core produces twice the amount of energy that it absorbs from the Sun.

Recent experiments provide a plausible answer: Sheets of diamonds generate gravitational and subsequent heat energy as they rain down on the gas giant planets.

To see how researchers recreated diamond rain in the lab, visit: https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/satellites/a32999527/why-neptune-uranus-rain-diamonds/

Madman and OurJud like this.
  21. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

22. Louanne Learning

23. Louanne Learning

Hologram Technology Allows Woman to Answer Questions at Her Own Funeral

Her son runs a company that creates "holographic conversational video experiences."

The experience used StoryFile, an AI-driven conversational chatbot technology that uses 20 different cameras and recordings of the subject to create a digital, holographic clone that can be interacted with.

Here's Mrs. Smith appearing at her funeral:

[​IMG]

Madman likes this.
  24. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

I don't know about this one. Remarkable. Creepy? I say, let the dead be dead.

25. Louanne Learning

I see a story in everything. What kind of story can be written around this?

Madman likes this.