1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

The Sheldon Cooper in you

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Dec 28, 2013.

[​IMG]

I was just getting caught up on DVR'd episodes of Big Bang Theory. The episode I finished watching is one wherein Sheldon tortures Leonard with the wearing of an intolerably itchy sweater in order for Leonard to experience what it is for him (Sheldon) to deal with lack of resolution or closure. It made me think about things that maybe I experience in a way that might be different or more augmented than in others.

Mine is hunger. I deal very poorly with being hungry. I get very cranky, grouchy, and even petty if not fed on a regular basis. Were I to find myself in a famine situation, I would be the first to die, not from starvation, but because the others will have killed me for how annoying I would become.

What's yours? :D

(And can we try and keep it light, folks?) ;)

2. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

I'm extremely pedantic and cynical. People hate me for that, and because of this, it annoys me, too. I don't watch Big Bang Theory, but my sister regularly watches it and usually mentions that I have so-and-so in common with him, or any of the others (like my social impotence, ala Raj). :p

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I believe I have no negative qualities. People hate me for that, but that's their problem, not mine. Does that make me like Sheldon? (I don't actually watch the show, so I'm just going off what little I know about him.)

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I've never watched The Big Bang Theory, but apparently I'm a lot like the character Leonard. I'm very careful about pronunciations, and I like to use the correct pronunciation of a word in the right context. I don't like to pronounce the word 'Caesar' as See-sir, which is common in the English speaking world, but instead I pronounce it Kais-ar as that's the classical pronunciation. And the Sophocles play 'Antigone', it's not Anti-gone, it is: An-tae-go-nei.

At the same time, just to seem like a walking contradiction, I absolutely hate it when people over-pronounce words in a foreign language to make themselves seem more cultured. I've noticed family friends do this a lot with Italian words. It's not 'Spaghetti' in their kitchen, oh no, it's 'Spaegeeeetttae'

5. Tharian

Tharian Member

Social incompetence/ignorance. Sometimes I say something that comes across as too blunt, but it's not my intention.

6. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I would have to say hunger as well. I become horrible when I'm hungry, and I have to eat like every 2-3 hours. Overactive metabolism runs in the family. My dear hubby has gotten so used to it by now he always packs extra protein bars into my bag in the evening if he knows I'll be at school/work/horse stables the next day. I'd do horribly if the zombie apocalypse happened and there was shortage of food, as a zombie as well as as a human.

7. Wreybies

"........grrrrr........ This my brains! Get your own! grrrrrr......" :p

One of my others is cables and cords. I detest seeing power cables or speaker wire or HDMI cords, all of it. I will go to great lengths to find an attractive arrangement for a room that also hides any and all cords and wires.

Some Guy likes this.
  8. MLM

MLM Banned for trolling

I'm in much the same boat. From what I've seen of the show, Sheldon has faults. Based on this, I don't think people without faults are very similar to Sheldon.

9. thirdwind

I was sort of kidding when I said I thought I had no faults. I should have added a smiley or at least a "haha."

Anyway, I should probably watch a few Sheldon clips on Youtube to see what he's really like.

Wreybies likes this.
  10. Wreybies

Well, the point of having started the thread was not really about how people are like Sheldon Cooper, but more about things in you yourself that you feel you may experience rather differently than other people. In the episode I was watching that day, that was Sheldon's point in torturing Leonard. Leonard wasn't groking that for Sheldon, lack of closure or resolution was as irritating as a hives-inducing sweater that he could not remove, day or night. :)

So, whatcha'got, 3rd-wind? How are you weird? :cool:

11. DrWhozit

DrWhozit Banned

There's no Sheldon Cooper in me at all nor any of the BBT geeks. I'm typecast for Roy Hinkley.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Okay, put that way, my Sheldonism is a tendency to visualize problems mathematically, particularly as sets. It comes out at times in discussions, when I see two points as equivalent when others don't, and I have to go back and break it down explicitly.

The flip side is that while I'm listening, I'm breaking down the pieces, so I don't always have much to say until I have it sorted in my head. If someone asks me a question at that point, I can appear distracted and not quite up to speed.

Orihalcon likes this.
  13. DrWhozit

DrWhozit Banned

Then you should be pretty good at imagining a figurate number pyramid devoid of sharp corners and edges. Cool beans!

14. thirdwind

I guess it's my obsession with how my bookshelf looks. I try to buy books of the same size so that my bookshelf doesn't look too awkward. Also, when it comes to hardbacks and paperbacks, I believe in segregation. My hardbacks occupy the top shelf, and everything else goes on the other shelves. Man, I probably sound like a weirdo nutjob.

Some Guy likes this.
  15. TessaT

TessaT Senior Member

When I'm nervous, I giggle. It doesn't really matter the situation, but I automatically smile and giggle when I'm feeling awkward during social things. It's so bad that my boss actually pointed it out to me and said "You need to work on this."

Also, my grudges. I remember that $20 you owe me. You may have forgotten, and I may not mention it because I don't want to be petty, however... I will not loan you money ever again. Give a book back with ratty edges that was nearly pristine? I'm not giving you ANY of my books ever again! That girl in high school that tried to get my (now ex-) boyfriend to cheat on me? F-you, lady. ...Needless to say, I don't deal with betrayal or liars very well.

I also tend to be very blunt, and something pretty thick skulled. Both of which have gotten me into trouble.

16. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

I have a sorta kinda similar trait most bosses and teachers don't really like: when I'm being scolded, I smile. I don't know why I do this, but it might even be hereditary or something because my dad had the same issue when he was in school. And then the bosses / teachers think I'm smirking, disrespecting them, not taking them seriously. Well, the last one is true: I'm not, really, because I don't take much in this life seriously and I try to laugh at everything, so maybe that's the reason for all the smiling.

Oh, and even though I'm a pretty mellow person, when I get my heart set on something, I can be very stubborn about it; mules got nothing on me. It might take me a few hours to several years to achieve that goal, but eventually I'll get there or get it, and if I have to, I'll bribe, bully, blackmail, sweet-talk, cheat, manipulate, and tyrannize those around me until I reach that goal (that is, if they have anything to do with the goal or if they stand in my way).
    "Honey, don't you think it would be nice if we had a longsword? Imagine all the, uh, fun and educational things we could do with it as a family, right? Right? Did you hear that Frank and Judy got one? Frank said it's really nice, that he can use it for all kindsa cool stuff like, er, chopping carrots, fixing the telly, and... stuff. I guess I could, like, eat dust for the next mont or two if, you know, we couldn't afford food then, or I can walk the 30km to school in the wintry hail and rain... But honey, I neeeeed a longsword!"

ETA: For the record, well, haven't discussed this with Kat, but my educated guess is she wants a longsword (or two) just as bad as I do, so it was a poor example, but let's put it this way: compared to yours truly, she's less likely to end up scratching her head with one hand while holding a bunch of unpaid bills with the other, wondering how on Earth are we gonna afford to pay them, the rent, the gas, and the food for the rest of the month.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    Wreybies likes this.
  17. Meg Dunn

Meg Dunn New Member

I'm pretty Sheldon-y in the sense that I am IN LOVE with academia and will fixate on one subject obsessively for months, sometimes even years.

18. Pandorag

Pandorag New Member

I can be a grammar nazi (in French) and I like for words to be used properly. I correct people constantly. I have not used English in a long while and I doubt everything I write at this very moment.

19. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I'm absolutely clueless about my physical surroundings. I like to tell myself it's because I'm distracted by my rich inner life and vibrant thoughts, but possibly I'm just a little dopey.

I'll walk into a room, looking for something, and fumble around in the dark because I don't realize the lights are off (or don't remember I have the power to turn them on? I'm not sure). I'll drop something in the middle of the floor and walk around or over it for a full week until my cleaning ladies come and tidy the house for me. I never notice what people are wearing or how their hair is done or much of anything else about them. When people ask me how to get somewhere, I can't give tell them any landmarks, even if I've driven the same route every day for months, because I don't really pay attention to anything but the GPS and the road itself). I get lost a lot, and use my GPS even for very simple trips.

On the plus side, ugliness, messiness, etc. rarely bothers me. So that's something!

Simpson17866 and Meg Dunn like this.
  20. GoldenFeather

GoldenFeather Active Member

I can be insensitive to people's feelings. I studied psychology and behaviourism, so when someone comes to me for advice, I tell them straight up their problem and how to solve. People don't like that lol sometimes they just want someone to listen. But if you come to me for advice, I'm gonna tell you how it is, whether it hurts your feelings or not.

I think I'm very Sheldon Cooper in that sense. It's not my fault you can't handle the truth or it hurts you. It is how it is lol

Simpson17866 likes this.
  21. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

People telling me to do something, but then telling me "not now, just some time" when I try to get started immediately

People telling me to do something "now" when I wish that they would give me some advanced warning instead

Realizing that I'm just being a hypocrite about not wanting to be told to do anything :(

Some Guy likes this.
  22. Vanthu

Vanthu Member

My mom compared me to him a few times. I'm also pretty smart (not as smart as him, though), for some things I have to do at certain times, I also don't know what to do sometimes for some social situations. He possibly has Asperger's, and I have PDD-NOS, which is almost the same thing. And there is one more that she doesn't know. He is probably asexual, and I am asexual.

23. Writersaurus

Writersaurus Member

Had this post been called 'the Rajesh Koothrapali in you' I could have commented...

Or I could be the male version of Amy before she became part of the group...

Having said that, I do share Sheldon's obsessive side.

24. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

I have never watched Big Bang theory so I do not know why people think I am like Sheldon. Sure, I am a geek and stubborn and quite peculiar verging on eccentric -for instance I like to eat my spaghetti bolognese cold, on toast, with mayo. I also get very... excited... when talking about history (people say when asked, that this is what reminds them of Sheldon.).

I also stutter when I get nervous or excited, perhaps not relevant but it might factor in...

It as I said, I never seen it, so I do not really know.

25. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Meesa usin the earsn covern meesa eyestalks!