1. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

Be Inspired

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by WhispWillow, Sep 27, 2006.

I wish to share a few things with you of how to get ideas for books and poems and such. For me, pictures are a great source of ideas, if studied hard enough.
    I got the idea for a novel I am working on from a picture on my wall, which was a simple one, but nevertheless led to me planning a book based on this picture. Pictures are a great benefactor in the art of writing in my general opinion.

Also, I find journeys to be great for getting ideas.
    Every saturday I hop on the bus and find myself bursting of ideas.

Finally, to gather all your thoughts, not forgetting anything your imagination has came up with, a pen and paper close by to you is essential. This way you can remember your ideas and so none may be forgotten.
    Hope this helped:)

andrew smith likes this.
  2. pengwenn

pengwenn New Member

A great way to find pictures is to Google for wallpaper or screen savers. If you find something you like you can down load to your computer right into the file where you'll be working on your story.

andrew smith likes this.
  3. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

That never entered my mind actually, thanks;)

andrew smith likes this.
  4. kalibantre

kalibantre New Member

I could set up some provacative workshops for us if anyone would be interested? and some exercises..

I'm stiudying writing so I pick up great tips from classes.

andrew smith likes this.
  5. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

Sure, sounds good.
    Studying writing ey? Like, in uni?

andrew smith likes this.
  6. kalibantre

kalibantre New Member

yeah. I'm in my second year or my BA, then I'm gonna travel for a little while then get my MA..

andrew smith likes this.
  7. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

I get my inspiration from saving odd news articles with stories that interest me..some of them are small and insignificant and just catch my eye for some reason, others are top stories.

In one of my novels, I used an article about a local pub that went in and it just sounded like the kind of place my character might go to now and then..thus it became a part of the story.

I have articles saved all over my file cabinet full of stories waiting to be told..heh

andrew smith likes this.
  8. Nexus

Nexus New Member

WoW, some people really are bigtime into writing....But then again, im only a kid.
    I'd love to learn about writing as a Uni degree, my dad said that if I want I can study in america when I go to Uni. How much cooler if it was with someone I knew.....

With writing? My imagination is my story. I just imagine stories in my head and write them down hours to days later. Pictures are always inspirational, especially if you get BIG ones. Try looking for World of Warcraft and Guild Wars art if you want awesome fantasy pictures.

andrew smith likes this.
  9. Verto

Verto New Member

Art work is inspiring, it really is, these are all good ideas people keep it up.

andrew smith likes this.
  10. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I get my best ideas from people. I practically live at a local coffee house, and find myself randomly talking to incredibly interesting people all the time. I've gotten great ideas just from conversations I've had with the staff there. People are a never ending wellspring of surprise and inspiration.

For example, the other day at work I met a wonderful lady. It was her birthday, and she wanted to buy herself a pair of jeans. She was turning 57, but she was beautiful. We had a great conversation. She had such a great attitude about life and a great sense of humor, so I was very surprised when she told me that she lived alone. She told me that she didn't believe in marriage, and had just broken up with her boyfriend of nineteen years. She would make an awesome main character.

andrew smith likes this.
  11. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

OMg yes! People are great inspiration..

I love to watch the expressions on their faces and pretend to assume what they might be thinking..I file every gesture that depicts a specific emotion and try to use that when I write..

People are absolutely fascinating in every way..

Words on feet really..not people :p

andrew smith likes this.
  12. Laimtoe

Laimtoe New Member

Great idea!

andrew smith likes this.