The Sports Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gigi_GNR, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

^ I'm a Man.Utd fan. I heard that Van der Sar was retiring. I'm not really sure who should be the new keeper, I haven't kept up with the team and the goings on in football lately. :p

Li Na v Clijsters. Hmm, I don't know who I want to win, I'd be happy for either I think. Li Na is China's first Grand Slam finalist and Clijsters wants to a win fourth title there. I think it'll be a pretty good match.

2. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

I don't really have a preference either way, I'm not a fan of either but I don't really dislike either.

As for Manchester United's goalkeeper situation, last I heard they were look at a player from the Bundesliga, but it's hard to find reliable soccer news over here beyond match results.

3. Eunoia

This is a close match. Both Clijsters and Li are fighters. I really can't tell who is going to take the final set.

Edit: Clijsters won!

4. art

art Contributor Contributor

Hey Hawky
    Reasonably strong rumours that they'll be going with Stecklenburg, which might be thought to be a conservative choice.

From what little I know of the obvious contenders, I would go with Neuer. His distribution is exceptional and in all other respects he seem a thoroughly effective keeper.

5. Eunoia

Exciting Australian Open Men's final so far.
    Djokovic just took the first set, and I think Murray is the one struggling more. But still. Come on, Murray!

6. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Great first set. We most certainly have the right players, playing each other for the right for Champion.

Murray needs to stop getting distracted, plain and simple.

As i have mentioned before, Djokovic is liked out here, and will have the crowd befind him.

Murray has to step up. Djokovic still has improving to do himself.

7. Agreen

Whatever may be going on with his knee or shoulder, it's not stopping Djokovic from playing brilliantly. I just don't want Murray to lose another straight sets Grand Slam final :(

8. Speedy

Looks like Murray will never win a set in a finals GS.

Sorry, but mentally, he is screwed in the head. From playing great to, oh look it's a seagull. get over it Murray. Just play.

9. Agreen

He needs to do something drastic, and soon. The match was so good in the first set, but, at least for the soon to be Scottish once more Murray, this set has been a disaster.

10. Eunoia

Yeah, this second set is a disaster. Hopefully it'll make Murray focus and play better so he can win the next three sets. Fingers crossed! I think I'm being hopelessly optimistic.

11. Agreen

Probably too late for this set, but at least he showed something in these last two games. Hopefully he can build on them and turn this around in the 3rd set.

12. Speedy

Sorry guys, but Djokovic won't allow Murray a chanc to win when his up 2-0.

it just won't happen.

13. Eunoia

Don't be so negative, Speedy! I think you're supporting Djokovic though so I guess that's why. :p

14. Agreen

At this point, it is all about cheering for a 4th set. We can worry about the rest later.

15. Eunoia

^ Yeah!

16. Speedy

I'm just looking at Murray, and thinking pick up your bloody lip and PLAY.

I hope we do get a 4th and fifth.

17. Agreen

Yeah, there's nothing in tennis quite so frustrating as watching a player struggle mentally. It'll be interesting to see how Djokovic approaches these next few games- an early lead and it's pretty much over.

Edit: And that's it. What a great tournament from Djokovic, hopefully he can keep it up the rest of the year. As for Murray, I think it's as much a mental thing as anything. He's probably the best in the world right now who hasn't won a major. Hopefully he can find a way to win one someday.

18. Eunoia

Djokovic won! He did deserve to.
    But unlucky Murray :(

19. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

[​IMG]

ALAN LEE SCORES!

Awesome performance from Town today, undone by a handball and a diving wanker. (Not to mention the ref on first-name terms with all the Arsenal team). We were the better team. Jack Hunt, on full debut, was sensational. Him and Anthony Pilkington ripped Kieron Gibbs (an England international) to shreds. We deserved the win. We out-fought, out-played and out-sang (I count fans' performances) Arsenal in their own back yard.

So, so gutted to have lost, but proud of that magnificent performance. And Alan Lee's goal (at the 26th attempt).

20. MinaHunter

MinaHunter New Member

I never really used to be interested in sports all that much except for a little soccer. Usually watched along with a British friend of mine.
    Then I moved over to Australia, watched one game of rugby league, and that was it. I am stuck.
    My husband doesn't like it much, but I love it. He knows how to use that fact , though. He decided he wanted to get a box that could record TV. I was very reluctant to the idea, until he told me that it had a 24/7 free NRL station and access to videos of previous games. Little did he know I would be using that to watch games I'd seen five times before, once again.

So, yeah. I think it's the lack of protective gear and the intensity of it that lured me in. Now I'm in love with the mixture of physical contact and ball handling skills, not to mention the tactical skill and finesse of some of the players.

21. Speedy

Mina, which team do you support?

Coming from the Illawarra, makes me a Dragons fan.

22. MinaHunter

MinaHunter New Member

I'm a Broncos supporter. Broncos was the first team I actually learned anything about thanks to my father-in-law. Darren Lockyer kind of did it for me, I really like his ball handling.

My husband is a Dragons fan, despite both having been born up here in Brisbane and living here now. Game night can be quite interesting the times Dragons and Broncos are playing in our household. :) Hubby's only watches the Dragons games when they're in the finals up until now. Hoping to have him watch more games this year.

23. Speedy

HEhe, it's hard being a Dragon's fan. They have been the chokers of Australian sport for the better part of two decades. last year made up for it though.

Steve Renuff (not sure on the spelling and i cant be bothered to google him), an ex Brisbane Winger, is my favourite player (NRL wise) of all time.

24. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Media day today. I think we did pretty well.

(I'm so superstitious about talking about games online before they happen. Which is why I try to be so quiet....)

We seemed relaxed today. Had fun. That's good. Hopefully we'll have a good week leading up to Sunday. Can't wait for the game! :D

GO PACK GO! :D

25. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    Steelers. Gogogogogogogogogo.

Smack the Pack!

:p