The Starshade's Legacy: Last of the Imirri

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Keitsumah, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Exzalia

Exzalia Banned Contributor

"I think this is the place." Mira looked up from her map and gazed at the entrance of the village. With nothing but her trusty staff she entered the village. It seemed peaceful enough though from what she could see there were mostly humans here.

The scent of roasted meat wafts over her nose, her belly cried for assistance. She followed the scent to a makeshift tent occupied by a stern looking fellow. Walking up to him with a friendly smile she asked.

"Good sir what can I give in exchange for some of your meat?"

2. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

Keitsumah; The Village

Keitsumah shrugged idly at Rafael's question, biting her lower lip as she pulled the glowing knife out of the stove to walk over to the deer.

Moss . . . Bones . . . a voice murmured in her mind, and she paused, the knife half-raised as her necklace began to throb like a heartbeat, its glow casting a pale violet glow off of her face. Her brows came together in confusion for a moment before the glow faded and she began slicing the skin off of the deer, the slight smell of burning fat filling the room as she detatched the hides with delicate swipes and pulls.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Batos; The Fortress

I don't like this . . . Batos thought grimly as his father dealt with the usual matters of the fortress. He had seen things like this his entire life -why should he be dragged here now?

"My Lord Arrcafah, some of the slaves have leapt the cliffs and numbers are dropping in the mines." a captain spoke, his voice filling the chamber with a hollow booming noise that made the prince want to clap his hands over his hears.

"Go on." Arrcafah said cooly, his pale hand tapping his knee as he eyed the captain with sulfur eyes.

"I would like to propose a raid."

3. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Wally blinked a few times at the smell of the meat. That was one of his favorite things the smell of food.....meat more then anything. He had been silent as he assumed Keitsumah was to busy cooking to talk and that the Rafael gentleman wouldn't want to be bothered by someone that tried to pummel his face in.........stupid anger! Wallace started to growl thinking about his own anger was making him angry. Anger levels at 10 percent (irritated). "Why am I so-" Before he could finish his loud and vicious words a girl walked in.

At the sight of her his angere faded. He didn't want to frighten anyone who might need help. But either way she'd probably be frightened of him in the first place. But this girl gave him the oddest feeling.....it was probably the staff she was carrying. Wally started to smiling maybe if he approached her calmly she wouldn't be scared. "If you like....you can have my share?" He offered Mira.

4. Pepper1

Pepper1 Active Member

A land far far away, in a time long forgotten.
    Perrin

Perrin playfully bumped into his best friend, Tomaj. They were out on a routine scouting patrol. They'd done this countless times before and their patrol was far away from any human activity. Tomaj was babbling as always. He had a thing about finding the worst possible outcome. "What if we were hanging in the fortress and all the raiders, elites and guards fell asleep. And then the humans decided to attack. AndAllTheHumanSlavesDecidedToMakeARiotAnd" A glance from Perrin made him stop to breathe. "Tomaj, it ain't gonna happen. You know there's always someone awake. We're not as sleepy as the humans either. If something that noisy happened, it would have woken every shifter in the fortress." They shared a laugh. This was a game they often played when bored. Tomaj would find a problem and Perrin would reason against it. It was always like that, but today something was different. He felt the hair on the back of his neck rise as a scent caught his attention. A feeling of lots of cold water thrown down your back filled him when he threw his head back and howled. The howl was rarely used in a place like this, though every shifter knew what it meant. Humans. Tomaj frose as he too caught their stench. Their eyes met for only a second but that was enough. Both pair of eyes reflected the same thought. How could we not have noticed them faster? The humans weren't far away. One could already hear their clumsy feet running through the woods. In the blink of an eye Perrin had transformed into a coal black wolf. Beside him stood a shorter and less muscled brow one. Like one they started running. Perrin was the fastest by far. He quickly outran his slower friend. His fur stood on edge and his blood was pounding in his ears. A glance behind made his blood freeze in his veins. Tomaj tripped. He was up and running again in no time but his ankle was injured. Red dots lined the treeline as the humans with fire came closer. his fear instantly disappeared, as he turned to fight.

Perrin woke up screaming and covered in sweat. He was breathing heavily and his heart was pounding. The dream kept bothering him. He always woke up before the part were the raiders came to the rescue. Before the part were they told him it was too late to save Tomaj, that his wounds were too lethal. He rose and went outside for a walk around the fortress. He didn't want to sleep, lest the dream would come back. He knew he would never forgive himself.

5. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

Tim Walkers.

A small and lonely figure was sitting on a tree stump. Leaning his small head on his bony hands. The little boy wiped a frozen tear from his eye with the back of his hand. His feet were sore and full of blisters. Some of his toes were colored a deep blue. Fighting desperately against the cold, Tim kicked his shoes off, they were full of holes anyway and his blisters hurt terribly in them. He couldn't exactly feel the cold as his bare feet dipped into the blanket of snow. Tim looked around, straightened his cap and pulled a bit of moldy bread from his knapsac. He squeezed his eyes as his tongue tasted the frozen and rotten bread. At least he'd have something in his growling stomach. Tim resumed his journey to anywhere and nowhere in particular, the snow sparkled with multicolored bokehs as the sun casted shy rays into the forest.

He had escaped and he had walked for three days, barely resting, finding shelter where ever he could. He had been determined to make his fortune somewhere but now, things looked more grim than ever. Tim was about to lie down and give up, such was his exhaustion, when he spotted a pillar of smoke in the distance. Resorting to his very last reserves of strength he pushed forward. A town came into view. Tim's heart jumped in his thin frame. He limped forward and made it into the small village. There seemed to be no one out in the streets and Tim simply no longer had the strength to ask for help. He sat down and leaned against the wall of what he deemed to be the local inn and then fell into a cold, icy dream. His feet outstrechted in front of him and his head nid-nodding against a half-opened window pane.

6. Exzalia

"Good sir what can I give in exchange for some of your meat?" A young woman with stunning green eyes asked him. Her beauty softened the look on his features some. Though he had little to spare he couldn't bring himself to turn her away.
    "What do you have to offer?" He asked.

Mira reached deep into her pockets and pulled out one silver coin and 6 copper coins. " Heh...as you can see not much but this might be worth at least it's leg...maybe."

Marklin looked at the coins. Such currency was nearly invaluable as you couldn't eat it and it couldn't keep you warm. He took 4 of the copper coins, and left the rest in her hand. He guestured for her to sit as he cut into the hare to see if it was cooked yet. It still had some time left.
    "The meat still needs time to cook." He looked over at her, once again amazed by her eye color. Most people had colors of brown and gray. Dull, boring...filled with sadness, pain and despair. Feelings he knew too well. Hers had something different...unique. They gleamed with...hope. But what hope did she have.
    "If we are to share a meal I suppose we should know eachother's names." He said evenly. "I am Marklin Ren." Out of respect for what little tradition was left in this world, he held out a calloused hand.

Mira chuckled at his cynicism and shook his hand. "Mira, I hail from well, outside if you can call the outside a dwelling."

He nodded his cloaked head. "I understand your meaning full well." He checked the meat again. Perfect.
    He cut off a leg and part of a thigh for Mira and placed it on a tin plate for her. Then Marklin threw a couple more peices of wood on the fire before starting into his own meal.
    "Thanks so much for sparing a bit of your food, I have not eaten in days. Truth is I'm kind of on a mission, I'm trying to find some shifters. Ya dangerous I know I have shaken hands with death one too many times." She took a bite of her food and grinned.

"But listen to me ramble, um...what goals do you have if you don't mind me asking?"

Marklin's demeanor immediatly darkened at the mention of the shifters. "I have few goals aside from surviving and killing every shifter I meet." He replied coldly. Marklin stared into the fire as he slowly chewed on the stringy meat. Memories filled his mind. Memories of his parent's screams as they were captured by the Shifters. Of how he and his sister had cried themselves to sleep every night for month after that night. And the pain in Beth's eyes as she slowly died from lack of food. Those beasts were responsible. "What possible reason could you have for seeking them out?"

Awkward did not begin to describe how Mira felt, hesitantly she answered. "I want to try and end the type of suffering you have gone through sir, and I think I may be able to do it peacably. Human beings have done just as terrible things to our own kind in the past just as shifters have, my hope is just how there are good and bad humans there are good and bad shifters. If I can find the good ones, if only a few, then maybe we can start building a world where the two races arn't tearing each other apart."

Marklin gave a harsh chuckle. "A hopeless goal...but a goal none the less. If it keeps you alive, then continue to pursue it. Even false hope is better than none."
    Then on a lighter note he added, "And don't call me Sir. It makes me feel old."

Just then as if on cue a shifter appeared offering his share of food. Mira jaw dropped, he looked at the man, then back to the shifter. "Ha, looks like it not so hopeless after all, I seem to have found a very agreable Shifter. hello there what's your name?"

7. Kingtype

Wally was actually taken back. His name...really she wanted to know his name? No girl had ever wanted to know his name....except his mom of course and another girl from a long time ago. He wondered if that person was still his friend but....that was then and this is now. An actual person wasn't running away or trying to kill him. He wanted to at this but he didn't....he had not yet perfected his smile and didn't want to creep out Mira. So instead his eyes got very friendly. "I'm Wallace but I like to be called Wally as well. How about you miss?"

8. Macaberz

Tim slowly opened one eye. Though the dirt road by which he sat was deserted, he cold make out voices in the istance. Using the walls of the inn for support Tim, very slowly limped over towards the source. The smell of roasted hare hit his nose and his eyes widened at the thought of proper food. He could make out a female and a male, and a shifter, gathered around a fire. He curled up in a corner, twenty feet away from the strangers. He was too shy, but most of all too exhausted to approach them. He shivered and wrapped his arms around his knees, trying to make himself as warm and mall as possible. Soft sobs and sniffs could be heard from where the orphan was seated.

9. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Marklin

Marklin almost couldn't believe his eyes and ears as Mira and the shifter (who called himself Wally) began talking as if they were already friends. It made him angry. Were it not for the Village leader's declaration that he couldn't kill the shifter, Wally would be dead already. He stood angerly, packed up his tent and grabbed what was left of his meal. The hatchet seemed to thrum on his belt hungering for the Shifter's blood. "Enjoy your new found pet, but don't come running to me if he bites off your hand."

Marklin stalked away only to hear the sound of crying. A young boy was leaning against the wall of a building. His ribs clearly showing beneath his thin shirt. It reminded Marklin of what he had endured at that kid's age. He dropped rest of the hare's carcass in the boy's lap without so much as a word and continued on his way, looking for a quieter and more secluded camping spot.

10. Macaberz

Tim looked up thruogh his watered eyes. Someone had thrown him the remains of the hare. He saw a tall male figure. By the time Tim had glanced down at his heavensent meal and back up, the man had dissappeared. Tim wasn't sure if it was really meant for him, but since the man had vanished, he eventually took a careful bite. His stomach growled happily in reply and Tim attacked the scraps of food with the fierceness of a shifter. When only the bones were left, Tim attempted to stand up again. But his legs failed him. The mere child was still frozen to the bone. And though he had established a truce with his belly, the rest of his body was still heavily protesting the strains that had been put on it. Tim curled up again but kept his eyes open. Terrified that the icy cold would take him if he permitted himself to fall asleep.

11. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

Artanis

He had traded a few of his pelts away, but hadn't gotten much for them. This was not a prosperous village, he could see. As it grew later, he decided to go into the inn, spend what little he had on a hot meal and a warm fire. As he went though, he saw a small figure propped against the backside of a building. As he got closer, he saw that it was a small boy, maybe ten at the most, emaciated and frost bitten.

He pulled out a large pelt and wrapped it around the boy saying, "Are you still alive little icicle? Or has your spirit already passed on? It's not wise to be out in the cold barefoot and wearing rags." He lifted the child, seeing he was still breathing, still alive, and carried him into the inn.

"What have you by way of food my man!" Artanis called to the barman, then moved closer to the fire, carrying the boy with him still.

12. Macaberz

Are you still alive little icicle? Or has your spirit already passed on? It's not wise to be out in the cold barefoot and wearing rags."

If the strength and willpower required for Tim to wince and back off had not been taken from him so cruely by the winter cold, he would have done just that. If his voice would have been whole and not broken by shyness and exhaustion, he would clasped his hands together and prayed for forigveness, and that the gentleman would be merciful on him; and please not send him back. But Tim did none of these things. It appeared that after all his limbs had gone numb from the frost, his mind had almost become the final victim of the slow, harsh death that winter brought. Through the slits of his eyes Tim saw the frozen soil become a striped blur. He was being moved. Then, Tim felt warmth and he heard laughter and voices and the crackling of a fire. For a minute Tim firmly believed that he was to be roasted and eaten alive, something his master had threatened with on numerous occasions.

"Do you wish to be caught in the wildnerness by savage humans? They have an apetite for boys like you, first they catch you, then the flay you and put a spike right through your bottom till it comes out on the other end! Ha! And you know what? They like nothing more than the sizzling blood of a rascal like yourself, they feast on it!" His master had said. Tim's master had then lowered himself to his height, pinched the skin of his cheeks behind his fingers and give him a good shake. "That's what will happen if you run away...now get back to work!" his master had said.

But as Tim senses slowly returned to him, he became aware of the warm pelt over him. He also heard the man holding him was ordering a meal. Though still terrified as to where he was and who these people were, Tim felt somewhat comforted by the kindness thusfar bestowed on him. His body shook as he let out a deep sigh, his journey had come at an end and something of hope was glinstering on the horizon. Several soft sniffs followed suit and Tim had a hard time to keep the very last tears inside of him. It would have been a very foolish thing indeed to waste any of his remaining bodily liquids on a feeling of safety and happiness. Tim heard a cup being poured somewhere, The draught in his throat violently returned.

"Please some water....some water" Tim muttered softly into the stranger's ear, his voice coarse and raspy.

13. Keitsumah

Keitsumah; The Village

"It's ready to be cooked Gunthran." Keitu said softly as she tugged the last of the deer's hide off, red meat glistening alongside pale bone. There was little on it, though it would be enough to serve everyone for the day. Usually Ardoway and her tried to dry the meat and store it up as jerky should food become exceedingly scarce.

The elderly man nodded and came from behind the counter, taking a larger knife to slice away some chunks of meat to put in a pot filled with water and frozen plants that had somehow kept through the harsh winter.

"Looks like the lil'un coul' use some soup anyhow." the innkeeper said, putting the pot on top of the stove to heat over the fire.

"Water . . ." Keitsumah turned when she heard a soft voice rasping, and he eyes widened as she quickly fled outside to scoop up some snow and put it into a cup, quickly melting it next to the fire. Walking hesitantly over to the boy, she touched his chin and tilted his head back to let him nurse at the life-giving fluid. He was so weak she didn't want to risk him spilling.

Ardoway leaned against the far wall near the stairs, brushing his fingers over his bow to check it for any hair-line cracks. His dark brown hair fell over his silver eyes, but he could be seen glancing occasionally after his sister. A small smile played on his lips.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Batos; The Fortress

"A raid?" Batos hissed at his father, "Father, we have enough slaves already -why would you-

"Son, do not question me." the Alpha said coldly, turning his sulfer eyes on his son, "And i do not plan on having new slaves for the mines -the Guards can manage the ones we already have for a time yet. You, however, do not posess any servants. I will not have a son of mine behaving like an Iknawii!" Iknawwi meant "Fangless" and was the term used for those Shifters born unable to change into their wolf forms. Batos admittedly envied them at times, but his hair still spiked up at the insult.

Arrcafah stood up abruptly, his black cloak billowing about his legs as he raised his arms up, his voice filling the chamber:

"I approve -select those who would join the raid and send them out!"

14. Macaberz

Rafael peeked at the adventurer that had walked in, he was holding a child over his shoulder. The child murmured something and Keitsu, being the girl she was, immediately jumped in and gave the child something to drink. Rafael hesitated from where he was sitting. He wanted to help the child but it seemed he already got enough attention. He turned and focused on the man that had walked in. Everything about the man shouted that he was an experienced outsider, or dweller. One of the few who dared to venture in the wild on their own.

"Any news from the outside world?" Rafael inquired from the man, "my name is Rafael by the way, pleased to meet you." he said, offering his hand. His stomach might be hungry for food but his mind could use a good, scary story or a scrap of news.

-----

Tim swallowed down the cold water and shivered involuntarily. As the helpful hand that had supported his chin retreated, he looked into the eyes of a young girl. He looked at her innocently, too shy and too drained to speak. Worry seemed etched in his his face, a look of melancholy. Not self-pity but a worry for the world. Tim looked around, shyness washed over him and he simply gawked at all the people. "I don't mean to be a burden, Sir." he muttered eventually as he slid away from the man's grip and handed him back his pelt, though he was clearly still freezing. He made a low bow and looked around helplessly, he wasn't sure if he was allowed to sit down so he kept standing, swaying from one side to the other as if drunk and blinking lazily.

15. Keitsumah

Keitsumah; The Village

"Oh dear -another one." Ardoway muttered as he pushed away from the wall to scoop up the kid and set him near the stove to warm up, "Keitsu, hand me your shawl." the girl quickly responded and tugged off her plush shawl sewn from assorted deer skins, revealing small shoulders and a slender build that was covered by a winter dress that appeared ot be hand-made.

Ardoway took the shawl and wrapped it around the boy, checking his eyes and lifting the lids gently. He frowned, clearly finding someting. Turning to the innkeeper who was stirring the soup, he said, "Gunthran, do you have anymore of that Alchai Moss? I think this one's gone Numb, and he looks to have minor frostburn on his feet."

The elder's head swiveled around and when his grey eyes took in Tim they widened, "Sorry Ardoway -I ran out of that a week ago. You might have to go looking for that to get some."

The boy nodded, and slung his bow over his hsoulder, beckoning for Keitsumah to follow. "Anyone want to come? There might be some animals to hunt."

16. Macaberz

"Yea count me in." Rafael said in reply to Ardoway's request. He didn't mind getting his own meal, in fact he preferred it. He disliked having to live on trade and charity.

Tim muttered something incomprehensable as Ardoway caught him. Rafael eyed the kid one last time as he followed Ardoway's example and grabbed his bow. The child seemed afraid. "I wonder what his story is." Rafael said to Ardoway as he handed him a stock of his self-made arrows.

17. Exzalia

"Mira, It's nice to meet you Wally." Mira said friendly. Inside her calm natured self she was how ever jumping for joy, she found one, she actually found one!

"Tell me are they're others like you?"

18. Kingtype

Wallace blinked a few times. "Of course there are. You're like me. I'm human after all." The man was clearly a shifter but that never stopped him from considering himself a human. "Despite my appearance I assure you that I can hardly be considered a real shifter." He said a happy smile forming on his face. It was actually a nice one. "As for shifters I don't know any. They sort of scare me but I'm sure there are some nice ones somewhere."

19. Exzalia

"As for shifters I don't know any. They sort of scare me but I'm sure there are some nice ones somewhere."

Well that killed the excitement in her heart, what was this man rambling about? "Um...but...arn't you...one of them?" She said feeling puzzled, very puzzled.

"No you're definitely one of them."

20. Kingtype

Wallace frowned greatly. "No I'm human. Just because I look like a shifter that doesn't mean I am a shifter. I'm human where it counts and I consider myself as such." He said nodding towards the other humans around them. Wallace sighed and started frowning as he looked at her face. "Oh sorry if I upset you. You'll probably be leaving now." He said sadly as he bowed his head in shame.

He was nervous. He figured he had just driven away the one of the only people willing to have a conversation with him. He should of just said he was a shifter. Wally then started speaking his thoughts aloud...he didn't notice he was doing it. "Stupid, stupid I'm such an idiot!" He exclaimed. Not noticing the stunned Mira.

21. Keitsumah

Keitsumah; The Village and The Forest

"Okay -let's go. If anyone changes their minds they can follow after." Ardoway said, watching Keitsumah pull a fur-lined cloak and boots. They were quite fine materials that would obviously be the envy of those who saw them. Her skill with sewing could be easily notable.

Opening the door with a slight creak, Ardoway stepped out into the cold and sheathed the new arrows after examining them. Sliding them into his quiver along with his own grey-feathered ones, the young man trudged through the snow and towards the forest, Keitsumah following silently after in his footsteps.

Moss . . . Bones . . . she heard a voice murmured again as her necklace glowed, and the girl swallowed, a sense of dread crawling up her spine.

"I'm hearing them again Ardoway -remember the river?" she said softly, and her brother paused, his eyebrows rising.

"What is it saying?"

"Moss and Bones. It said Cracking Ice before." she replied, biting her lower lip. Though the incident before had actually helped them, she felt wary of this premonition.

22. Exzalia

Stupid, stupid I'm such an idiot!"

"Well okay then, pardon me human sir I didn't mean to offend. Would you happen to know where I can find shifters? You know the creature who looks exactly like you? It's important that I find some, preferably nice ones."

This one seems a bit unstable, I can't very well use someone who's mad, the poor thing. She thought.

23. Macaberz

"Oh we looking for moss and bones now?" Rafael said in a cheeky voice. "Moss would be rare but bones, boy we could build monuments and world wonders out of bones! Ha!"

--

Tim opnened his eyes again. The ones that had previously taken care of him were suddenly gone. They had abandoned him and loneliness swept over the mere child once more. To Tim's great relief however, the owner of the inn was still there. Being a shy child Tim just observed him from his tiny spot in the corner, near the fire. The warmth and blood slowly flowing back into his bruised and blistered feet.

24. Kingtype

Wally began to get nervous he was blushing from embarrassment from his outburst. "Oh um no you didn't offend me. I just have trouble with my anger and I was calling myself an idiot." He said pointing to his own bandaged covered head. "I'm not to good with these sort of things like conversation." He said with honesty. "Well I'm not used to it anyway so it was entirely my fault I got angry you see? Don't blame yourself Mira." He said his face becoming neutral.

"Oh and don't be scared I don't like hurting people." Wallace started getting nervous again. "See what I mean....I'm sort of dumb." In truth Wally wasn't exactly stupid he just wasn't that good at being social. "But on another note are you really looking for shifters? Their dangerous you know?" He continued. "I just don't want you to get hurt his all." Wally may have been prone to violent outburst but he was actually a very caring person.

25. Keitsumah

Keitsumah; The Forest

"This isn't funny, Raf. She's had this happen before, though it led us to freshwater when the river cracked." Ardoway retaliated, shifting his weight as a worried look came to his face.

"Let's go -we can't waste time out here." he said then, leading them into the forest, the trees reaching high into the sky with bare, blackened branches that seemed to want to pluck the sun out of the sky and steal ti away to some dark place.

Gunthran; The Inn

"Here ya go boy -try some of this." Gunthran said gently as he ladled out some soup from the cauldron into a small wooden bowl. Walking over to the lad, the elderly man's face creased in worry as he looked at the child's feet, "Hope Ardoway come's back soon with 'ta moss."