1. Fernando.C

Fernando.C Contributor Contributor

The Stormlight Archive and other works in Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Fernando.C, Apr 3, 2017.

So I very recently finished Words of Radiance, the second book in Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series.

And I am in awe.

While it was no secret that Brandon Sanderson is an amazing storyteller, since I had already read and loved his Mistborn series which I consider to be among by top 5 all time favortie works of fiction, the Stormlight Archive has so far blown that out of the water.

The worldbuilding - one of Sanderson's strong points - is amazing here, it's rich and breathtakingly detailed. The world is at once both alien and familiar in way. It has it's own unique fauna and plant life and animal life.

The Magic system - another specialty of Sanderson's - is imaginative creative and highly intriguing. What I love about his magic systems is that Sanderson doesn't go the old route of vaguely- defined magic that you see in a lot of fantasy stories. His magic systems have clearly defined rules and restrictions that not only make sense but are actually based at least somewhat on scientific elements, making them all the more relatable and tangible. The laws of nature and physics aren't ignored here at all, even if said laws are vastly different from ours.

I'll delve more into what I loved about the series, the characters and other elements in detail in further posts. But for now I hope to get the discussion going since I really need to talk/gush over/fanboy about this
    amazing author and his works, specifically Stormlight Archive, and the ambitious creation that is the Cosmere.