The Stupid Things We Do

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lyssa, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Almost all of my stupid moments come when I go to sporting events. When I go to see my own team, I like to do everything in my power to support them and help them win, whether it be chants, shouting or especially heckling opposing players. Last time out I went with my best friend to see my favourite team- the Toronto Maple Leafs play against his, the Ottawa Senators, in Ottawa (because it's impossible to get tickets in Toronto). Though the two teams are big rivals both of us like both of the teams. This didn't stop me and all the other Leafs fans in the building from booing Ottawa's captain every time he touched the puck, and heckling their players during slow moments, as well as a good deal of ref bating. The best part is my friend would chant back during the booing- by the end of the night everyone in our section hated at least one of us. Another time, we went to see the Toronto Argonauts in Ottawa. Ottawa was already eliminated, so we brought a sign with their logo that said 'Got Playoffs?' and held it up every time the home team did something good. Lots of people complimented the sign as a good joke. Others... didn't. Divine justice was had however as the Argos lost the game, and going in were league champions. They have been garbage ever since. It was the last game for the Ottawa CFL franchise.

I'm worse when I go to see teams I don't support. Last year I went with my brother to see the Chicago Cubs in Toronto because he's a fan. I cheer for the Red Sox so I didn't care either way. There were a few obnoxious Cubs fans in the section, as well as some somewhat misguided Toronto fans. I somehow with a few chants provoked both groups into exchanges- food was thrown, hard words spoken and fights almost broke out. I enjoyed the crowd more than the game. In the end, the Cubs fans were ejected. My only regret is that my brother didn't find the situation as funny as I did.

Finally, I somehow almost got into a fight with a fan of the Buffalo Sabres when I saw them in Ottawa. One of them made a classless comment about a tragic event in a player's past, I called them on it... and only avoided a fight because an actual Ottawa fan got to them first.

2. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I guess by "not allowed" what I really mean is I use that as an excuse to get out of cooking when my fiance asks me what's for dinner...

Hahaha my sister's fiance once paid her $30 to eat a concoction like that, but the stipulation was she only got the money if she didn't throw up.

She didn't throw up. I was amazed.

3. Lyssa

Lyssa New Member

Ew. Icky.

Lol, well not cooking can be OK sometimes. It's a lot of work.

4. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

Some friends and I went on a road trip to Memphis a couple years ago to visit a buddy.

Well, the hotel we stayed in was totally skeezy. A lot of questionable people hanging around. And we were young and a little freaked out.

Keep in mind here that the two friends I was with were large black men.

So.

It just happened that we had brought our belongings in black trash bags. And Se'lah had brought two very realistic-looking pellet guns (as in they looked like real guns, not pellet guns). We made a big show of moving our stuff to and from the room, having the guns visible, heaving the trash bags up the stairs. Once in the room, we had a loud shouting argument about "where's the money?" and "hiding the bodies."

It wasn't long before another guest (also a large black man) came by and tried to peek into our room. We shut up and hid in the closet. He knocked, and we stayed put until he went away.

Then the cops showed up.

Boy was that awkward to explain...

5. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

ROFL!
    Man, that made my morning.
    Hahaha.

6. bonavada

bonavada New Member

A bunch of us, rather drunk, made our way to a Swansea vs Cardiff football match in my home town in the late seventies. The rivalry between these two clubs was, and still is, notorious so it was heavily policed. We were refused entry by bobbies because of our drunken state and told in no uncertain terms to "Go home and sleep it off" or words to that effect. I responded by calling one or two of them cowards and questioning the marital status of their mothers......I woke up in a cell with a banging headache and quite a few lumps. The appearance at the Magistrates and a £10 fine was the icing on the cake. A tenner to me then was about half a weeks wages. To top it off I was named and shamed in the local rag and my girlfriend dumped me, not because of the shame of me cast as a hooligan or anything but because she didn't believe I had slept where I did that night.
    Ahhhhhh the follies of youth.

BV