1. Adam Bolander

Adam Bolander Senior Member

The Supermarket Behind Eternity

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Adam Bolander, Aug 11, 2021.

Working as an online order picker for Walmart, this is a fun idea I had while daydreaming on the job. What do you guys think?

When Dylan Warsaw applied at Infinimart (working name) he thought all he was getting was a part time job, but he soon finds himself conscripted into the ranks of The Store. Ruled over by the godlike High King Supervisor and his army of Managerial Overlords, The Store sells everything the human mind can imagine — and countless things it can't. Its size is unknown, its its aisles innumerable, and the deeper within you venture the greater the danger grows. The Store may claim your life, but if you survive you will surely find your heart's desire — and for a price no other retailer can match, or your money back! As The Store's new Order Picker, it is Dylan's responsibility to brave the labyrinth of merchandise and retrieve the items requested by customers. His journey will take him from the towering Shadowood Dept, the dark forest where the shelves are overgrown with carnivorous plants, to the far coasts of the Ocean of Discounts, where sea monsters guard products deep beneath the waves. Dylan must be both brave and cautious if he wants to survive to the end of his shift. He wouldn't be the first Order Picker to be swallowed by The Store's inconceivable depths. Or even worse...FIRED!

modxus, Oscar Leigh and Bakkerbaard like this.
  2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I like it. Definitely modern and relatable, but I would be wondering about the tone. I know this isn't an official query, but if it were some kind of pitch, I would be wondering if it were a comedy, satire, or a kind of Cuckoo's Nest vibe narrated by a schizophrenic. Either way it sounds fun and cheeky, unless, of course, it totally isn't. Like Cuckoo's Nest.

Adam Bolander likes this.
  3. Adam Bolander

It'd probably turn out a lot like Henry Rider, funny when it can be and serious where it needs to be.

4. Mullanphy

Mullanphy Banned

Nifty idea. Sounds a bit related to "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". Or maybe to Amazon Prime.

The Lost World trope might work out wonderfully. As described, and as a reader, I would expect comedy/parody/satire no matter what serious issues were presented.

When can I read it!?

5. Adam Bolander

Lol, who knows? Having ideas and then never doing anything with them is practically more of a hobby for me than actually writing them.

Mullanphy likes this.
  6. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I also like it. It seems to reflect the growing realities of life as I experience them. It also reminds me of a lot of dreams I have where the world seems to be a sort of endless shopping mall and everything is consumerist.

Mullanphy and Adam Bolander like this.
  7. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I think it's a good idea, and could be setting for anything from a short story to a novel with a wide range of tones/meanings. Sort of reminds me of that scene in the movie 'Dreamcatcher' (and probably the book too). I'd probably go a different route, maybe something like this (which you probably are thinking of too):

"It's going to be a busy day, already got an order for $100,000 of misery."

"Nah, that's just like two units."

"That doesn't make any sense! Why does misery cost more than joy?"

"Because more people are buying it! Look, we don't set the prices, we just follow them."

8. salviapages

salviapages New Member

Fun idea I would read it. Makes me think of Qualityland by Marc Uwe Kling and Horrorstor by Grady Hendrix, both satire (sci fi and horror respectively) but serious when they need to be like you say your tone would be. Might be worth reading as inspiration?

9. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard Contributor Contributor

I would read the shit out of that, based on the blurb.
    Actually, the title drew me in because, as mentioned a few posts earlier, it reminded me of Douglas Adams' Restaurant At The End Of The Universe and I wanted to know if it had anything to do with that.

From what I read here, this seems right up my alley. A mundane concept blown to ridiculous proportions.

10. Mullanphy

Mullanphy Banned

Welcome to my world. Seriously, though, the idea is wonderful and I'd love to read it. I hope you write it.

11. jpoelma13

jpoelma13 Member

It sounds like this idea could work. There's a lot you could do with it.

12. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I like how many directions you can take it in. Lots of potential commentary there (I imagine the hero beating back sea monsters, almost dying, finally getting the item, then the customer wants a discount because he took too long). Good luck.

13. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Ha! I'd read it and I'm not a great fan of SciFi. Just change it to the Ocean of Deep Discounts and Bring Me The Head of John The Baptist to make me perfectly happy.

14. RadioactiveRavioli

RadioactiveRavioli New Member

Currently Reading::
    Journey To The West
    This sounds like a cool and interesting idea! It's interesting to see that you can turn each aisle/department into its own biome. The fact that it's something many of us can relate to, both as employees and consumers, this would actually be a very interesting read. This would be great as a comedy, but I can see a possible serious tone coming from it too. Who would've guessed that something as mundane as supermarkets/grocery stores can be turned into an interesting idea! You got my thumbs up and my interest.