Tags:
  1. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed

The Tachinomiya (the Japan Thread)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Iain Aschendale, Jun 2, 2020.

Irasshaimasae! (Welcome!)

There's a workshop thread about living in Japan that's getting kind of un-workshoppy.

I don't know what color this is, but it's my moderating color of shame because I'm as guilty as anyone else there for the derail.

So since we have a number of members who have visited or lived in Japan and even more who are enthusiastic consumers of Japanese (popular) culture, I thought it would be good to have someplace to congregate.

Let's be civil, remember that not everyone has had the same experiences with this country, and if you're going to reference the Japanese language, please provide translations.

God willing this won't end up in the Debate Room

2. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Something I'm moving here relating to the difficulty some Japanese people have accepting that their language and their DNA aren't locked together. It's a bit of an exaggeration, but not much at times.

Malisky likes this.
  3. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Is this where we catch the videos of the naked guys riding the gigantic tree trunk down the mountain to their likely deaths?

Or was that Korea?

4. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

konnichiwa! watashi wa gaijin desu! watashi wa nippon ga daisuki desu!

5. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    A gentle pink (is this pink? Anybody know where I can get some non-defective cones installed in my eyes?) Mod reminder: If you are going to use Japanese (even in Romanji) in this thread, you must provide a translation. Yes, even for something as innocuous as the above. It's in Forum Rules.

Kampai! (cheers!)

6. Naomasa298

Apologies, it was a joke on how foreigners are perceived to speak Japanese (with "watashi wa" in front of everything and pronouncing the "su" in "desu, a habit learned from anime).

Translation:

Hello! I am a foreigner! I love Japan!

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  7. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I'm sorry, I believe I kind of made a contribution to the necessity of this thread. I promise not to let it dip over too much to the other areas of the forum...

Hope to hear some more experiences from Japan though. My time was...interesting, and through the lens of someone who received a cold shoulder most days. I was in the South though, so maybe the tone was a bit different. Love the cities I saw, though I know the attitudes toward me had more national issues than anything. Fair enough. I didn't really mind much.

8. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

I hear that there are great deals on vintage collectibles in Japan.

9. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Absolutely everywhere, hidden in the backs of many shops.

10. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

I'm not living in Japan but I so want to travel there! (Perhaps immigrate there)? I don't know man. From a sense I envy you and I can't really point out why. So many reasons actually. The reasons I like. The reasons I like to envy. I hope I make it at some point there at least and wish me luck.

I have but a Tokyo Japanese buddy with whom I haven't talked for a while. We met at polyglot. Soon I understood that he was a better english speaker than I was a japanese one, but in my defence I'm a 100% self tought from stuff I downloaded (and they are great) from the internet. He is the only Japanese guy I've ever spoken to. He's got a great sense of music.

Iain Aschendale and EFMingo like this.
  11. Naomasa298

Depends. The Japanese know what their collectibles are worth. There's a shop in Akihabara called the "Golden Age", and it's the kind of shop where, if you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it.

12. Zeppo595

Zeppo595 Contributor Contributor

I have written a lot about my time in Japan (and actually all of my published non-fiction is in various Japan based English language publications)

I do find leaving Japan has given me a new lease of life in terms of reflecting on my time there.

I wouldn't be surprised if I found myself back there someday.

But who knows.

13. Naomasa298

I was kind of in a relationship with a Japanese lady a couple of years ago.

It didn't go anywhere though. I think her husband would have objected.

14. Zeppo595

Zeppo595 Contributor Contributor

Yes, I was also in a relationship with a Japanese woman recently.

I was just musing to myself the other day over the fact the two most serious relationships I've had with Japanese women (living together) were both women I met outside of Japan.

I'm not sure if this says something about the kinds of Japanese women who leave Japan being more appealing to me (perhaps more individualistic) or about me being somehow different when I'm outside Japan.

The fact I left Japan and then immediately fell in love with and lived with a Japanese woman says something about my inability to ever really leave the place.

Now I'm alone and single maybe I will be done with it. But then I think ohh...living alone in quarantine. I am now a full on Hikikikomori, as we all are now, I suppose.

As for your married women thing. Hmm. Well, I doubt the husband would ever find out. Most Japanese people I've met have been quite excellent at secrecy. But no, I don't condone that sort of thing.

I would just get too paranoid of being brutally murdered out of revenge by the husband. As murders go, the tragedy might be diminished in some eyes by it's moral justification.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  15. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Certified weeb, checking in. *walkie-talkie noise*

16. Naomasa298

Well - Japanese outside of Japan tend to act less "Japanese" (I'm sure you know what I mean). Maybe that has something to do with it?

Her husband was in Japan. He'd never find out if she didn't want him to. As it happened, she suddenly had to go back to Japan, I never found out why.

17. BearOfTheNorth

BearOfTheNorth Member

I'm supposed to be flying to Japan for my 4 week honeymoon trip there tomorrow but it's been delayed until March next year because of Covid-19!

EFMingo likes this.