1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

The true purpose of exposition and how to write it

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by OurJud, Oct 8, 2017.

Like many, I suspect, I struggle with exposition. It's not something I naturally write or, if truth be known, even know how to write.

I write chronologically, starting at the beginning and writing each scene as I intend it to be read.

Thankfully I can at least see when this pattern of action/dialogue/thought, thought/action/dialogue, action/thought/dialogue begins to become a little tiresome, and suspect that when it becomes monotonous for me to write, will probably be the point at which it becomes monotonous to read.

I then have to force myself to address exposition, but discover I don't fully understand its true purpose or when an appropriate point in the plot shows itself. Even then, if I suspect the plot has reached a position where exposition is needed, I don't know what I'm meant to be telling the reader.

Any advice and pointers on good exposition would be greatly appreciated.

[edit]

A quick search tells me exposition can be done through action, dialogue, and thought, so I think I need to clarify that what I'm referring to is the kind of writing that is none of these. Backstory probably isn't what I mean, as the reader has been there from the start, but every so often I reach a point when I feel I need to be writing a narrative of some description, that isn't dialogue, thought or action.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Are you sure you need it? If the action/dialogue/thought always comes in that order and with approximately the same amount of space for each section, the pattern might be monotonous, but it doesn't have to be set up like that, does it?

Alternatively, I wonder if you're looking at a tell/show issue. Are there parts of the story you'd like to "tell", to gloss over because they're not especially significant, and you think exposition is the way to do that? I think you're right, but I'm not sure what to say other than to just do it...

OurJud likes this.
  3. OurJud

To answer your first question, no, I'm not sure I need it. I'm just aware of the fact that scene after scene is made up from the same ingredients of action, dialogue and thought (not always in that order, but always comprising of those elements).

When I read a novel, there'll be sections when the writer breaks off from those things and writes, sometimes at length, in a narrative that is none of these things.

You say 'just do it' but I don't know what 'it' is. Only that it's a narrative which advances the story in some way. I also think it's unique to a 3rd person POV, as the same thing in a 1st person POV would simply be the narrator's thoughts.

Maybe it is thoughts I'm thinking about, but letting the 3rd person POV confuse me (again), and that what I'm seeing in other novels is simply thoughts, but at length.

4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Are you writing with an omniscient narrator, or close third? In close third I think exposition would just be extended character thoughts, as in first person...

ChickenFreak and OurJud like this.
  5. OurJud

Close third, single POV.

I think between us, we've managed to establish that what I'm seeking is, indeed, just extended thoughts.

Thanks for your help.

ChickenFreak and BayView like this.
  6. Nik Duncan

Nik Duncan New Member

I don't think I'm a good enough writer to give advice. But, I think exposition is best when it's spread out over an action sequence. Having the characters experience the exposition.

OurJud and Simpson17866 like this.
  7. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

I know the kind of narrative you're talking about. My current WIP uses it, and I struggle with it. Here's how I approach it:

It's a useful method of indicating passage of time and letting the reader know what the characters were doing during that time without having to "be there" "in the room" to experience it with the characters.

Example: one character is in denial about his feelings for another character and is trying to forget her by going back to the things he did before he met her, which includes seeing a variety of women.

But we don't need to be "in the room" on his dates with these women, or to even know any of their names, because the women are not important to the story. They're not important to him at all, so they shouldn't take up space in the story. What's important to the story is that he's in denial and is trying to forget the character he really wants.

The way I approach it is, "What deserves extra time and attention?" "Who or what deserves to take up that space?"

ETA: The more you do it, the more you discover it's a "gut" thing. So just practice.

OurJud likes this.
  8. OurJud

@Shenanigator - are you writing in first or third?

9. Shenanigator

I was so afraid you'd ask me that. I'm dyslexic, so naming it is a nightmare.

Third. I'm not sure which third it is because there's a head hopping thing back and forth between the guy and the girl because of their language barrier.

The narrative we're speaking of is definitely third, and acts as an "all knowing all seeing" bridge between the two characters.

It sounds like a mess, but I'm working with a well-read alpha who I refer to as "Continuity." ;-)

All my other fiction has been in first, so I wanted to challenge myself.

OurJud likes this.
  10. OurJud

No, it's fine. I wasn't looking for what type of third. I only ask because as far as I understand it, any kind of exposition in first is simply the MC's narration.

This is my first foray into third-person too.

11. Shenanigator

Cool. That's my understanding of exposition in first, too.

ETA: Constantly asking myself "Would this person know this?" or "Who would know this?" while I'm editing the narrative time passing stuff is a huge help. It's not as easy to see POV continuity problems as it's being written.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017