The Upgrade

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Daniel, Sep 7, 2011.

1. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Daniel,

When posting a blog I tried to affix some tags and got this error:

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Now that has got to be an error...

3. Phantomwriter

Phantomwriter New Member

I'm not sure if it's the new upgrade or something wrong with my computer but for some reason when I try to add an avatar I can put the picture information in the bar but when I press the "Save changes" button nothing happens.

4. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Oh wow, everything's different!

It looks pretty good. It'll take some getting used to, but I like it. :)

5. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

No i don't like this upgrade. My eyes are hurting because of the small text and i really liked the old one. This new design is kinda bland. Please change it back to the blue. I loved the old design. This one likes every other forum ive been on and the new design bores me to tears. The color update is ok, but everything else is plain white and i don't like it. Im not trying to be rude, but i really don't like it. It's my honest opinion.

6. Not the Admin

Not the Admin Banned

Well don't worry. I believe Dan was working on trying to make it more like the 2.0 layout we had before. The thing is, don't complain about this new software we are using. I went on the website, and to use a program like this costs upwards $250.00. That's plenty generous if you're asking me. Plus, it's very zippy once all of the bugs are fixed.

7. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

One thing I am delighted to see with the upgrade is an autosave feature. After losing long reviews in the past, it's good to see I won't have to worry about it again. I'm okay with the new theme- it's a bit different, but I'm already getting accustomed to it.

8. Faust

Faust Active Member

Good job! :-D

9. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I'm still getting the "server is busy" message. Not sure if you're still tinkering with things, but figured I'd let you know, just in case. :)

Ooh, digging the "auto save" feature! I didn't notice that when I was on earlier.

10. Shadow Reeves

Shadow Reeves Active Member

On a plane filled with Motherf**king Snakes.
    hey hey.
    first: looks great.
    Second: the banner advertisement covers the remember me button at login on the top bar. very annoying.

11. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I don't mind software updates. Just design updates. The autosave features make me very happy, i like it alot. Just not this new thin look. After i posted that i realized that he already annouced he would go back to the old design with minor changes. I respect Daniel's software updates and his generous offerings. I don't mean to come off as rude, even though my posts can sometimes lean that way. I just need better words. For a writer that's odd, since Writers are supposed to be the masters of thier own words. I don't try to complain, i try to be as generous about my opinion as much as i can. I still need to work on accepting change, i hate change. Not software, but design changes. I think ever since Youtube changed thier channels after i sent them 23 million messages to please gives us an option between the two and they didn't listen to me or the many others who sent a complaint to not change it. But they ignored thier community and changed it anyway. I have a grudge against youtube just for that. And then they started changing everything else, making it worse and worse. So i guess my anger of Youtube being selfish jerks about thier channels and ignoring the users is still inside when i see changes like this on another website. So im sorry if i say something terribly rude, i just enjoyed the old format of this website so much that i didn't want a massive change. So if your reading this Daniel- i apologize if i came off as rude, im just like any other human with flaws and change is one of them for me. I know you are a great listener to your community and i respect that- but i just don't want to see this website to end up as thin as youtube. That i know won't happen, i just want what's best for the community with the least amount of design change as possible. If you could add a feature where we could choose this default design or the old one i would gladly appreciate that. It would mean that everybody would be happy and something we all agree on. Cause i have to admit my eyes were killing me from such a small text font that i have no idea how i wrote my recent posts today. (Not a cut-down towards your text skills, but they are just too small for me.) But if it was bigger on default, it would be better for the ones who have problems concentration on small text. But i will respect anything else you do as long as my design option is included and the same old fashioned format is the same for the nifty blogs and other minor stuff, - i will respect any software/ other minor updates changes you make. It's Your website anyway. Do whatever floats your boat. :)

12. Radrook

Radrook Banned Contributor

I like the old design better as well and an option to use that one would be nice if they can set that up.
    To me now the screen looks cluttered and jumbled. I can't find my recent posts. Whole thing looks garish and very annoying to my eyes. Everything seems to be yelling for attention at the same time and when everything yells for attention nothing stands out.

The perimeter edges are cramped and contribute to the jumbled impression by forcing more info into less space. Everything is placed into rectangular compartments. It's rectangles all over the place. The letters on 100% magnification are microscopic. Even on 150 magnification they are rather small.

Why not leave the appearance as it was since there was nothing wrong with it?

13. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

The current design is simply the default design for this version of vbulletin. Daniel knows people prefer the old design, and he probably does to. As soon as he gets a version of the old design for the new software, I'm sure he'll load it up.

14. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

that's a relief!... can't wait to see the final result...

15. Not the Admin

Not the Admin Banned

I can only imagine how long it takes to code a theme for this program. :I

16. the1

the1 Active Member

It may be a surprise but it actually doesn't take that long. The back-end Administrator functions vBulletin provide are quite good :)

17. Radrook

Actually the new design is now getting to look very good. The crampiness has been fixed and the word size is now OK. It doesn't look the way it did when I posted my other opinion. In fact it looks very good. So my other opinion doesn't apply on the way it looks now.

Thanx for fixing those things.

18. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

I still prefer the old way of listing the latest posts. This new version doesn't really give you the actual latest posts anyway. It always seems 30 minutes behind.

19. LaGs

LaGs Banned

The older colour was much, much easier on the eyes

The site was behaving dodgy last night but it's a lot better now

20. Radrook

You are right. It was early and my eyes were OK with it. But now the whole thing is becoming annoying again. The old design never did that. I also find navigating a hassle with this new design. Too much info on too little space. The blogs were OK the way they were. Brief statements to show what they are about. Also what happened to the blog stats? The emerald green is too garish. What was wrong with the older version anyway?

21. Not the Admin

Not the Admin Banned

Nothing was wrong with it, but Dan was making a software update. This new software is much faster and easier to use, and Dan told us that he is working on making the template more similar to the old one.

22. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

I'm not crazy about the new look. The site seems to be awash in muted tones. And the layout seems more blocky.

23. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

I'm definitely new to this NEWER design you have going on here Daniel. At first, I thought I had typed the wrong website in my address bar (Haha). It looks like it's going to take some getting used to, but from what I see so far, I find it a decent upgrade.

Good job.

24. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

I'm glad we're going back to something more similar to the old design. This one isn't easy on the eyes and everything feels cluttered. Not to mention, if you're apart of a couple of other forums, it also looks very generic.

25. AveryWhite

AveryWhite Active Member

definately agree with this!!!