the very first time you fell in love

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by katina, Sep 23, 2018.

1. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor

I think the first time I ever felt something like romantic affection was for a girl named Harriet in 5th grade. She was Greek, and one of the prettiest girls in the school. However, she was also a bit of a snob and she didn't care for me because I didn't look like a boy, so I never pursued anything with her.

The first time a girl really turned me on was in 4th grade, I believe. She had extremely hairy arms; more-so than many full-grown men have. When I first saw her, I didn't feel like the only freak in the school anymore. I never got to find out what her name was, or I might have forgotten it; but I never forgot how she made me feel.

There was also Anna in 4th grade, who almost had the same effect on me; she was very bohemian in look, and she always seemed to have a very earthy scent. She was partnered with me during an assignment one day; we were to draw and color some of the planets in the solar system, I picked Neptune, and I think she picked Pluto - this was long before Pluto's demotion, lol. Anyway, she had on a very loose fitting shirt, and when she bent over her drawing her shirt basically laid on the table and I could see her right breast through her drooping neckline. I was tremendously affected by that, and I had a hard time looking away from it; she was one of only three girls that ever had that effect on me in that school.

The last girl was named Charity; she was transferred from another school and was brought into the 5th grade class I attended. She was tall, had a boy's haircut that she never seemed to keep, wore a white, long-sleeved button-up shirt with dirt stains on it etc. In other words, she was weird! But, she had one feature that really made her stand out: she had the prettiest face of any girl in the school. None of the other girls liked her because she was dirty, didn't know how to dress, and she seemed to prefer hanging out with boys rather than with them, and I suspect that they were also envious because she didn't have to work at all at being gorgeous, even when she was a mess.

Me, however; the instant I saw her, it was the same potent sensation I had with Anna and the hairy girl!

I never had the courage to pursue anything with any of them, though, and part of me regrets that I didn't.

Things got dialed up to eleven in middle-school, however, when an adult sized Grace Jones looking girl named Lisa took a strong interest in me and terrorized/aroused me with her obsession. I think she was kind of like I was in elementary school when I was turned on by eccentric girls; except Lisa was not at all shy when it came to expressing herself and what she wanted to do with me, which made me think that she might have been psychotic. But, I have to admit that it felt good being the object of someone elses' fantasies, even if she was nuts, lol.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    Cress Albane and katina like this.
  2. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

First time I would say was in 7th grade (or maybe 6th?). Went a few years before I told her, but she rejected me. We remained friends afterwards, though (but never really interacted outside of school).

Second time, which I would probably call the first time I truly, truly fell in love (because of how strong the feeling was/is) was 3 years ago. Towards the end of my first year at university I noticed this girl in my class who I hadn't given much thought before. Managed to navigate into her group on a group exercise we had, and befriended her. Some 6 months later we dated a bit, she spent a couple of nights at my place, and then she called it off. A couple of months later she ended our friendship.
    This September I met her again for the first time in a little over 2 years (we had spoken a bit over Facebook and she wanted to be friends again), and we're currently good friends. I still love her, though.

katina likes this.
  3. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I didn't date or have serious romantic feelings for anyone until college. High school was all about studying and dance rehearsals to get out of my crappy hometown, so I wasn't interested in any distractions from that goal.

I fooled around a good amount my freshman year of college, but nothing that ever vaguely approached love. Then the first weekend of my sophomore year I met this guy at a kegger and hooked up with him. He kept coming around and within a couple of weeks we had our first official date. Everything just kind of grew from there and we fell in love - we're still together 27 years later. This past Monday was our 24th wedding anniversary, and we remain more or less crazy about each other.

Komposten likes this.
  4. samyjackson

samyjackson Banned

I was 21 when I fell in love. It worked out but not for so long because we were in a long distance relationship.

5. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

Hard question to answer, because I'm still not sure how I define love for myself, where the delineation is.

The first time I imagined I was in love, the first time a girl really caught my eye, I was young. I don't quite remember when this was. Early teens, maybe, though I might have been younger still. I was a shy and awkward kid, and my attempts at flirting are best forgotten about.

After a string of forgettable flings and unremarkable short-term relationships, I met someone special at age 19. We loved each other in some kind of way, but I understood early on that we were just not compatible like that. We cycled through a turbulent friends-lovers-couple routine for a number of years, before settling into something purely platonic and then finally falling out of touch.

And then there was a series of ladies for whom I certainly felt something, some level of affection, but I'd never stretch so far as to call it love.

Much later I met what I think of as my first true love, if there is such a thing. The chemistry was just unreal. It was a long-distance relationship, which is hardly ideal, but when you like someone that much you just have to roll the dice. The one week we spent together in the flesh was nothing short of magical, after all. Well, this thing ended a few months back, because three years without seeing each other can be a bit much for anyone. Covid, am I right? Superb timing. Anyways, we're still very close friends, and the love is still there. It's just that the nature of it has changed.

But maybe there's a truer kind of love out there I've yet to discover. The Platinum tier membership. I'm prepared to entertain the idea that I ain't seen shit yet. Even in the midst of feeling sorry for myself, I'm excited for what comes next.

Bone2pick likes this.
  6. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Ive only ever fallen in love once (or at least, said the words to 1 person).

My high school sweetheart who is now my husband. We started dating in 9th grade. He said "i love you" first after a year of dating and i said it back.
    Then we broke up.
    .....and got back together a few months later.
    Then we went to different colleges in different states. Freshmen year of college, we broke up, got back together a few weeks later and broke up again.
    Got back together when we both came home for the holiday.

During the times we broke up, i "dated" (loosely used for one of them because we never dated, but went to parties together but i didnt like him the way he liked me) 2 other people but never felt for them what i did for my first love.
    It felt "right" being with him and "wrong" with anyone else.

We are oposites but in a good way. Im introverted and he makes friends SO EASILY! people just instantly like him! In high school, he was surrounded by people, but i was the weird girl who often stood by herself in a corner, and he'd invite me iver to sit with him and his friends.
    We were/are both athletic with me running track all through HS and college and endurance races now, and him playing soccer and lacrosse in HS and rugby in college and jujitsu now.
    We are both academics.
    But i was raised to be independent and he was raised a southern gentleman who does everything for his lady (sometimes it gets annoying because i can do things myself, but he loves doing things for me!)
    Hes never laughed at my stuttering, ever. Or asked WHY i stutter. And he defended me in HS.
    When i get riled up, im really loud and i yell. He is calm and quiet. When we "argue", its basically me yelling and him just sitting there refusing to say anything until ive calmed down.

Sometimes i think its because ive never really explored possibilities with anyone else and thats why i fell in love too quick (says my mother who thinks i should have dated more people).
    But then i think that he is perfect for who and how i am and that i lucked out for meeting him in HS

1 year after graduation he got posted in another state and moved away. A year later, i moved in with him and he proposed and here we are now.

Night Herald and Bone2pick like this.
  7. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

This was a nice thread to resurrect. Stories always lurk in memories of first love. I was 19 and as naïve as it is possible to be and still manage to navigate one's way through life. He was 28 and had more life experiences than most people have at 58. It didn't work out, significant emotional pain followed the demise of the relationship, but even so, that game was worth the candle. Ha. At 22, you could not have convinced me I would ever feel that way about it.

Night Herald likes this.
  8. Bone2pick

Bone2pick Conspicuously Conventional Contributor

Senior year of high school. Met her in drama class. We got married, we have three children, and our love for each other grows deeper with each passing year.

Night Herald and Catriona Grace like this.
  9. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Hayley Mills in Tiger Bay.

10. Vaughan Quincey

Vaughan Quincey Active Member

Currently Reading::
    JG Ballard - Concrete Island
    A nerd who could be a nerd and kick ass simultaneously.
    (Perhaps because I'm such a narcissist, who knows...)

11. Cress Albane

Cress Albane Active Member

For a long time in my teen years, I thought that I was incapable of feeling love to someone other than my mom and brother. In fact, I was scared that I had unrealistic standards and no one could ever "woo" me because the idyllic dreams of love that my head was filled with clouded my perception of reality. But I daydream a lot. I would frequently write love stories and I had some embarrassing crushes on fictional characters. Also, when I was 5 or 6, I had a massive crush on my best friend, but I'm not sure if I would call that "love".

When I was in high school, a girl from my martial arts club took an interest in me. There was another guy that had his eyes on her. Said guy was a very lonely man with some... chauvinistic tendencies. Our Sifu (kung fu teacher) wanted that guy and the girl to start dating since he got tired of the man's constant bickering about not having a girlfriend. So, once we were on a martial arts camp, sifu told the girl that some of the more experienced guys from our club could give her some private lessons. Those guys were me (back then, I was his best student) and the girlfriendess man. The man didn't have the patience to train her and gave up after a while. Me and the girl grew close on that trip. I saw her as a friend. The other guy was jealous. One day, she asked me if I wanted to be her boyfriend. I said no. I didn't like her that way. But I felt a bit guilty - after all, I had the opportunity the other man would give everything to have and I did not take it because "I didn't like her that way". What if no other girl will ever like me and I just blew my only chance for a relationship?

This line of thought led me into a relationship with the first girl that had a crush on me. I didn't love her, but we at least had some common interests. I was very angry at myself since I still didn't know what it means to "love" your partner. It felt so weird to get so much affection from someone without being able to give it back. And as the relationship grew the girl got more and more attached to me. I was scared that if I were to break up with her she would suffer. And I still didn't find a girl I would feel this mystical "love" thing towards, so why not be with someone who's at least happy to be with me?

But then, I met my first true love. The first time I saw her, she seemed so prideful and dignified. I was scared to even talk to her. We met in a hospital since we had similar health problems. It's a bit hard to explain it if you've never been subjugated to the Polish healthcare system, but the administration is a real mess. Usually, old people who remember the days of PRL cheat their way to get a meeting before others and the nurses/doctors don't care. I was visiting the doctor every Friday, so I grew accustomed to the place and I started to offer my help in keeping the order of the visits. While I would wait for my turn (btw, in Poland you're appointment means nothing. It's common to have a visit planned for 2:00 PM and wait additional 6 hours for your turn.) I'd walk around the corridor to make sure the queue is proceeding as planned. The girl I was interested in usually gave up her place in the queue and ended up being the last patient. So we'd get into silly arguments about which one of us should go last (I obviously also gave up my place in the queue). After some time, it turned out we had common interests and similar personality traits. We became friends.

This newfound feeling allowed me to recognize what it means to be in love, giving me the courage to end my old relationship. But the girl I had a crush on wasn't interested. She wanted to be friends and nothing else. I tried to show her that I would be a good partner, trying not to be obnoxious. A few times I confessed my love but she said she doesn't love me. I usually responded with "I understand. But if you'll ever change your mind, you know where to find me." Then I went to my room and cried for a few hours. After some time, I gave up. I tried to suppress my feelings to keep our friendship intact. After all, I used to be in a similar situation twice already. But to this day, it pains me that love can sometimes be unrequited. Two girls suffered because I couldn't return their love. And then, I got what I deserve - my first real crush, who couldn't return my love.

12. RMBROWN

RMBROWN Senior Member

16, watched her run across the field in gym class, love at first sight. Married her when I was 18, married 44 years. Best thing I ever did.

Bone2pick likes this.