1. Rynsworld

Rynsworld New Member

I need a twist, or at least I think so.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Rynsworld, Aug 29, 2011.

Hi, I'm new to writing and even newer to this site, so forgive me if this is the wrong place for this thread :)

I have an idea I'm stuck on: It's a science fiction novel about a soldier who has been betrayed by his superiors (he was sent to a warzone where he was supposed to die).
    Him and two other soldiers are the sole survivors of his regiment, considering the betrayal, and after weighing up their options the three of them decide to become bounty hunters; they're good at killing stuff and they need the money.
    They head to their home world of [planet] and go to the nearest planetary enforcer's / police station and see who needs rounding up and for how much, the 'police' insist that an officer accompanies them because they ask for half the money up front (for equipment and all that).
    in the end they catch the bad guy, get their money etc..
    so I have the beginning and the end but a beginning and an end don't make a story, especially when I don't really know what to do with the end.
    The novel needs some meat and potatoes, something to fill it out in the middle, a twist, all that, because at the moment it just isn't that interesting.

thanks in advance :)

2. Backbiter

Backbiter Member

This is just me brainstorming, so we'll see where it goes.

Maybe the officer that gets sent with them could be an undercover member of the "superiors" that betrayed them in the first place? They could have discovered that they survived, and could have sent someone after them, to finish the job. It's a bit cliche, but it's something to work with.

Just an idea, do with it what you will. It's really up to you as the writer of the story to incorporate whatever ideas you think of to keep the plot moving, and create action and excitement.

Best of luck to you!

3. Backbiter

Backbiter Member

This is just me brainstorming, so we'll see where it goes.

Maybe the officer that gets sent with them could be an undercover member of the "superiors" that betrayed them in the first place? They could have discovered that they survived, and could have sent someone after them, to finish the job. It's a bit cliche, but it's something to work with.

Just an idea, do with it what you will. It's really up to you as the writer of the story to incorporate whatever ideas you think of to keep the plot moving, and create action and excitement.

Best of luck to you!

4. Kalpea_Tuli

Kalpea_Tuli New Member

Yes, the extraneous element of that police officer is definetely something that is going to bring dynamics into the whole story.

But that does not have to mean he is a black sheep. You could hint at this being the case for a while, but then, in the end or somewhere half way surprise the reader, making him who saves the day at a certain point....

5. Rynsworld

Rynsworld New Member

Thanks for the help guys, taking what you've said and developing it, what do you think of this?:
    While hunting their bounty, the three main protagonists (our bounty hunters) don't have a picture to go by, just a name, as they pursue him/her they uncover clues as to his/her identity, the chief of which is an item from their past, maybe a medallion or signet (yeah I know, cliché) that a 'superior' used to wear, they all thought he was dead, but it was actually him that orchestrated their deaths. All the while our police officer is tagging along.
    maybe another police officer higher up the chain of command is in kudos with the 'superior', (who leads a double life and needed to fake his own death to spend more time heading the big old crime syndicate which deals in drugs, guns etc) and is found out.
    the tagging-along-officer is outraged by his/her superior's behaviour and triator-y-ness and decides to actively help the protagonists rather than just taking a back seat, as it's personal now.

the bounty hunters reveal a huge scandal and are give extra bounty for their good work, along side that, the police officer joins them, ashamed of his/her 'superiors'.

so.. yeah, whaddya think? Like you said, just brainstorming :)