Tags:
  1. jps117

jps117 New Member

Lake Highlands Area, Dallas, Texas, United States

The Ender Series (Orson Scott card)

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by jps117, Jun 1, 2008.

Has anyone here read this amazing series? What did you think about it?

I've read all the ones about Ender (so far) and I'm currently reading the ones about Bean. I think they are amazing. No spoilers please!

P.S. Anyone have any inside info on the Ender's Game movie?

2. Kratos

Kratos New Member

I haven't read the Ender ones, but I read the Bean ones and loved them. Probably my favorite sci-fi series.

Yeah, I'm one of the few who read Ender's Shadow before Ender's Game.

I pretty much think Bean>Ender in every way.

Oh, the movie's in developmental hell.

3. jps117

jps117 New Member

You should definitely read the Ender ones. Bean and Ender are so different (and yet so alike) that I don't think you can really compare them.

The two series are alot different because Card just got better as he wrote more. (And he wrote the Ender series first.)

Yeah, that's pretty much all I've heard of the movie. All I have to say is I hope they do it right. (An example of 'right' would be Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings.)

4. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

I'll be honest and put myself in what appears to be the tiny minority: I really don't like Ender's Game. I tried Ender's Shadow to see if that would change my mind, but I liked that even less. I'm not quite sure what it is about it, but I very nearly hate the series. *audience gasps*

5. jps117

jps117 New Member

You know, I don't really disagree on Ender's Game. I think it definitely pales in comparison to almost any other books in the series.

6. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Yeah, I second that. I liked Ender's Shadow much better.

7. asitaarka

asitaarka New Member

at a point directly above the center of the earth
    I tried Ender's Game, but I literally couldn't get past the first five pages. I'll try it again in a couple months, but right now, I just have to many books to read. The story sounds great, but once again, I just couldn't get into it.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I just finished Ender's Game. It's the first novel I have read by Orson Scott Card.

I thought it was well written, for the most part. I'm not deeply into miltary S/F, but the story held my interest. Also, the science element was well thought out, and consistent both with itself and with what I know of current theory.

I was caught by surprise by the outcome of his training (that's all I will say here to avoid spoilers). But the final chapter troubled me. It tumbled headlong into the future, as if Card had become tired of writing the story but had a bunch of things he wanted to wrap up. I feel a brief epilogue would have worked better, and write another book to tell the story in that chapter if there was so much more to write. As written, it felt very rushed to me.

9. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

He did, actually, write another three books to tell that story. I thought they were all quite good, albeit an entirely different genre from the Bean sequence.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Indeed. But I am only referring to how he finished that one novel.

11. jps117

jps117 New Member

You're right. It probably could've been done better. You should read the others. They take place many (many) years after Ender's Game. He is also writing a book that takes place between Ender's Game and these. That should help explain more.

12. Vertz

Vertz New Member

Also, he originally just wanted to write Speaker for the Dead and ended up writing Ender's Game to clarify what was going on. Of course, the publisher tied him into writing a trilogy and then some :p

I'm a bigger fan of Speaker anyway... I feel like a minority in that....

13. Becca D

Becca D New Member

I loved both the Ender and Bean series - I also read Ender's Shadow before Ender's Game. That's because they didn't have Ender's Game at the school library so I had to settle. The two series are very different and I really enjoy them both, but I have a special place in my heart for Ender's Shadow. :)
    But as a series, I think that Ender's story is more interesting in some ways. I don't know why. Maybe I have to go back and read the Shadow series again to see if I like it better this time.

14. seantrott

seantrott New Member

Great series. Card is a great writer, I loved the development of characters throughout the books and series. My favorite is probably Ender's Game (actually adapted from a short story, which is worth reading as well; not quite as good as the book b/c the characters aren't as dynamic, but still interesting to see how it evolved into the fully-fledged book), or Ender's Shadow I think it's called. It's the one where they're at that planet and the scientists keep dying because the pig aliens or whatever kill them and plant trees in them. Lol that's an awful description. But I remember enjoying it.

Card wrote some writing books, incidentally, including "How To WRite Fantasy and Science Fiction). Though I write realistic fiction more often, it really helped me to create settings, etc. I reccomend it.