1. Anaspiringauthor

Anaspiringauthor Member

The Word "Despite"

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Anaspiringauthor, Feb 22, 2017.

Please enter a valid message.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

If you have a specific sentence, I'm sure we could find rewrites.

I'll propose an original:

Despite my sweet tooth, I would never touch a Twinkie.

Rewrites:

Even though I have a sweet tooth, I would never touch a Twinkie.
    I have a sweet tooth, but I would never touch a Twinkie.

SethLoki likes this.
  3. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

I agree; it's because of the embedded word 'spite', yes?

'Even though' sounds much more neutral. I've got: '[subject] aside', 'but for' and 'notwithstanding'.

4. Storysmith

Storysmith Senior Member

A similar but slightly shorter option would be:

Although I have a sweet tooth, I would never touch a Twinkie.

5. Anaspiringauthor

Anaspiringauthor Member

This is the full second half of the sentence: "… despite my being a new player on a team with 8 veterans."

Can I retain the sentence exactly as it is besides the word "despite?"

For example: "… but for my being a new player on a team with 8 veterans."

6. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

I don't think there's anything wrong with despite. Yes, it contains the word spite, but I don't always read the implication of that word when I read or hear despite. If it's a personal preference, though, that's alright.

7. SethLoki

@Anaspiringauthor I see no reason. :)

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

I'm assuming the first half is something like "I was the standout..."

So, you could reword it...

"I was the standout, although I was the new player on a team of eight decrepit old gits"

9. Anaspiringauthor

Anaspiringauthor Member

Correct. The first half of the sentence is: "Chosen team captain, despite my being …"

From the above I read that "notwithstanding" is a direct synonym for "despite …"

If so, that could be a viable option, no? How does that sound "… notwithstanding my being?"

The only thing: I've always read "notwithstanding" as more "with the exception of" or "not including" than "despite." If true, subtle, but important, difference.

Can someone confirm/deny these probably ludicrous allegations? Thank you to the above helpers and to the one(s) hopefully forthcoming.

10. ChaseTheSun

ChaseTheSun Senior Member

Somehow I was chosen team captain even though I was the newest addition to a team of veterans.

I, the newest of the bunch, was chosen captain and appointed to lead a team of veterans.

I was the newest addition to the team and yet I was chosen captain over 8 veterans.

11. Anaspiringauthor

Anaspiringauthor Member

Hi, as much as I appreciate the suggestions (i.e., very much), sir/mam, I am unable to use either.

Instead, if someone is able to answer any or all of the following:

1. From the above I read that "notwithstanding" is a direct synonym for "despite …"

If so, that could be a viable option, no? How does that sound "… notwithstanding my being?"

2. The only thing: I've always read "notwithstanding" as more "with the exception of" or "not including" than "despite." If true, subtle, but important, difference.

Can someone confirm/deny these probably ludicrous allegations? Thank you to the above helpers and to the one(s) hopefully forthcoming.

This is said with all due respect to ChaseTheSun and his sentences, which under different circumstances would work very well indeed.

12. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

Doesn't 'despite' just mean 'without regard for'? Can you use that?

13. Thomas Babel

Thomas Babel Member

Personally, I'm a little more pragmatic in these matters. True, the thesaurus is a close friend of mine, but DESPITE that I'm of the opinion that if the word does its job I have to move on - especially in the case of a word such as this because while it may irritate YOU it's practically invisible to the reader.

jannert likes this.
  14. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

'Despite' is a perfectly good word, and, as @Thomas Babel says, it's invisible to the reader. There are many ways to write a sentence, so if it really bothers you, do find another way. But if you start faffing around with clumsier words like 'notwithstanding,' you're going to make the problem worse. Even though you hate the word 'despite', you made it your first choice. There might well be a reason for that.

As far as its connection to 'spite,' I think it's not worth pursuing the issue. Spite (a mean or hateful feeling) has just about as much to do with despite, as pick (to choose) has to do with pickle.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  15. Anaspiringauthor

Anaspiringauthor Member

Please enter a valid message.

jannert likes this.
  16. SethLoki

Agreed but in language I'll bet spite's a direct descendent of the word despite (or maybe the other way round). And Peter Piper, well he'd be lesser known if there was no relation twixt pick and pickle.

I watched agog once at a persuasive talker (demonstrating); he got a boy to choose a BMX for Xmas, even though until the point of choosing the kid had never considered one. The talker's technique was to thread the desire into the boy's mind on a subconscious level using synophones.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    truthbeckons likes this.
  17. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

There is nothing 'wrong' with 'notwithstanding.' However, I think it's a much clumsier word, and requires a lot of jiggery-pokery to get it to sound right. I believe it stands out in a sentence, more than 'despite.' Of course everybody is entitled to their opinion on this one.

Here are two definitions from the same source. Note how 'despite' is used to help define 'notwithstanding.' However the reverse isn't true.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/notwithstanding

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/despite

18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

I think that @Anaspiringauthor has already used the word several times on his CV.

Gained a first from Oxford, DESPITE going to Essex Technical High School.
    Awarded the VC in Afghanistan, ALTHOUGH I was serving in Cyprus.
    Won the Nobel Peace prize, NOTWITHSTANDING having masterminded the fire-bombing of Dresden...

19. Anaspiringauthor

Anaspiringauthor Member

hdhshajsj

20. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I don't see "notwithstanding" as an exact synonym for "despite". To me, "despite" definitely requires things in opposition or interaction--X would appear to decide Y, but it doesn't. Notwithstanding has more of a flavor of don't care--X does not decide Y, but the "notwithstanding" doesn't care as much whether X would be expected to influence Y.

When I look for definitions, they don't back me up, but when I look for examples, they tend to mildly back me up.

Edited to add: However, I would agree that the vast majority of the time, a sentence that uses despite could be rewritten to use notwithstanding. It's the reverse that I'm not confident of.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Anaspiringauthor likes this.
  21. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Although I was a new player on a team with 8 veterans I... [whatever the first half was]