Tags:
  1. arkadia

arkadia Member

The Word "Gingerly"

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by arkadia, Nov 24, 2019.

While reading a certain type of books, I kept coming across the word "gingerly" and realised I did not know the exact meaning of this word. During 20 years of living in English speaking countries, I've never come across this word, apart from in books of one particular genre. I don't think I've ever heard anyone use it in daily conversation. Even before moving to England, I had a good command of English; I'm just shocked that I didn't know such a basic word!

I actually believed that the word meant something like "with enthusiasm" or "happily" but realised this must be wrong. When I looked it up, I found out that it actually means "with great caution". I noticed that there were many others who also weren't sure about the meaning of "gingerly".

The books that frequently used this word, were American. Perhaps "gingerly" is more popular in the US than the UK? That would explain why I didn't know the correct meaning. Although I speak English at a native level, I'm aware that I'm not a native speaker since early childhood. Maybe my lack of familiarity with this word is a sign that my English is not 100% native after all?

As native English speakers and writers, what's your view on this?
    The genre that uses this word a lot is "young adult fiction" published in the US.

2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Gingerly means shyly, with caution or apprehension.

gingerly
    • adv.
      With great care or delicacy; cautiously.
    • adj.
      Cautious; careful.
    • Softly; delicately; cautiously; mincingly; daintily: used especially with reference to manner of walking or handling.
    The dog approached the baseball bat-weidling skinhead gingerly.

Oops. Didn't notice you'd looked up the word yourself. It's a very common word in the UK - I'd say more so than the US. I've always known what it meant.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Cave Troll likes this.
  3. arkadia

arkadia Member

Ok, so you looked it up... But were you familiar with the word before that? I see that you live in England. I've never heard an English person say "gingerly" afaik. I don't think I've ever seen it used in English newspapers. Is this word more popular in the US?

4. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I only looked it up to provide you with the official definition rather than my own. But, yes, I've always known what the word meant. I can't imagine there'd be many native English speakers that aren't familiar with the word.

5. arkadia

arkadia Member

Ok, thanks! :)

6. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

In fairly common usage in America. Used mainly as another way to say lightly or daintily.

Cave Troll likes this.
  7. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

I'm familiar with it. In fact, there was quite a long part about the word on the comedy program Would I Lie To You.

Generally, I use it to mean "cautiously" rather than "shyly".

"She gingerly put it in to her mouth."

8. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

It's usually used to mean physical caution because you're afraid something might break, or be physically harmed or harmful.

It's not usually used to describe mental caution for fear of doing something you might regret.

You might gingerly stroke a newborn kitten's head with one finger, but you wouldn't 'gingerly' decide to adopt it as a pet.

Cave Troll, Earp and EFMingo like this.