1. kaeso

kaeso New Member

The Writer Stereotypes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by kaeso, Apr 23, 2013.

The writer stereotypes. Who are you?
    After spending the weekend learning about the writing community, I have picked up some stereotypes. This is meant to be entertainment, no cruel intentions. I see a lot of myself in these. And it hurts.

THE ONE WHO IS A DREAMER
    You've got the idea. The idea for a plot that will sweep everyone off their feet. It is unique, and it is amazing. You just haven't had the time to finish it. The first few chapters are done, sitting there in the folder on you computer, maybe you have sent it to yourself via e-mail in case of disk failure. You know how the rest of the plot will be, but you haven't had the time to finish it. If you had, you would have been a well known writer. But you are not.

THE ONE WHO IS UNCERTAIN
    You don't know what form you want to write in. First person, or third person. A novel, or a collection of short stories? You always have to search for words, they don't come naturally. You spend time searching dictionaries online, you look up synonyms and try to think of unique and original names. But you never seem to be able to decide, leaving everything unfinished.

THE ONE WITH WHO IS MISUNDERSTOOD
    Your writing is amazing. It's top notch, much better than many of these "established" writers. They don't know. If they only had seen your novel, your story, then they would have really seen how a great text should be. But they don't, because you never seem to get it published.
    But it is not because of the text, it is because the publishers are too stupid to recognize a great text when they see one.

THE ONE WHO CAN DO IT BETTER
    Stephen King's has sold lots of shitty novels. Some of it is OK, some of it is utter trash. You can do better. Your horror stories have so much more dept, keep to the plot, it don't derive from it, and it has a believable gallery of characters. But for some reason Stephen King is a millionaire, and you still have to keep your day job.

THE ONE WHO IS EAGER TO LEARN
    You have read Stephen King's On Writing several times. You have also read How To Write A Damn Good Novel, and On Writing Well. You know all the tricks. You know how it is done. How to create a plot, how to build suspense, how to create believable characters and keep the reader wanting more. You know everything. But you just can't seem to finish a novel, because you are to occupied by reading about writing.

THE ONE WHO PROCRASTINATES
    You wish that you had the balls to just sit down and write, because if you did you would have easily made it. But you don't. There is too many distractions. Facebook, Skype, Snapchat, online forums, TV and games. Maybe you even read books instead of writing them. That's something, at least.

THE ONE WHO GETS ENCOURAGED
    Why won't you get your work published when everyone around you keeps telling you it is fantastic? Your wife or husband, your friend or family member keeps patting your shoulder, saying you will make it if you just keep on writing. They keep telling you, and you keep writing. Writing, rejection, pad on shoulder, rinse, repeat.

THE ONE WHO IS IN FOR THE GLORY
    You don't care much about writing, you just want to get famous. And you are not pretty enough for acting, and when you try to dance people usually starts laughing. So writing is your only chance. It will make you famous. It will make you rich. But it ain't.

THE ONE THAT WRITES UNDER THE INFLUENCE
    You've got some great ideas, and you are certain that the ideas are even better if you just take a shot of whiskey. So you do. And you do. And you do. Your writing gets better and better the further down the bottle you get. As the sun rises you head for bed, only to wake up later that day with a headache. You sit down at your computer and start reading over what you have written throughout the night. It's horrible. So you drink some more.

THE ONE WHO THINKS IT IS EASY
    How hard can it be? Put some words after another, create sentences. Use your imagination, create a plot and write it out. You really think it is easy. But it isn't.

THE ONE WHO KNOWS
    Your novel is 120 pages long, and you know all of it by heart. You should, you've read it a thousand times. And it is always amazing. One of these days you will send it to a publisher. But you won't.

THE ONE WHO NEVER LOSE FAITH
    You've faced rejections. Maybe even on more than one occasion It hurt at first, but now you are used to it. J.K. Rowling was rejected by 12 publishers before someone had faith in her little boy with the round glasses and his magic wand. So you will keep on hoping.

Do you know some other stereotypes?

1 person likes this.
  2. jeepea

jeepea Member

Which one are you?

3. kaeso

kaeso New Member

I guess I see myself in many of these, but if I had to pick I'd chose the one that is eager to learn.

4. Suffering-is-Beauty

Suffering-is-Beauty New Member

I would say I'm misunderstood, but that's probably my fault.

5. jeepea

jeepea Member

I asked because it's all right for you to generalize about your own motives and behavior, but to judge other people's and want to compartmentalize them just seems mean-spirited.

6. kaeso

kaeso New Member

That wasn't my intention at all. I've been writing for twelve years, and I must say I can recognize myself in each and everyone of these stereotypes. I wrote this for the purpose of entertainment.

matwoolf likes this.
  7. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I'm uncategorizable :)
    You should be too.

Ashley Harrison likes this.
  8. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I'm an uncertain and misunderstood dreamer who's eager to learn. But I can do better, sometimes I procrastinate and need encouragement. I'm not in it for the glory, so I don't need to write under the influence. I think this is easy, I know it is. And one more thing, I will never lose faith.

:D

9. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I'm an eager-to-learn dreamer who procrastinates. I'm also many other things that aren't on the list. I am gradually turning myself into a non-procrastinator - that's job number one.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm NOT the one who writes under the influence, and I am under no illusions that it is easy. Other than that, all bets are off.

I'm also an odd bird in that I am a scientist by training and temperament, and I love mathematics, but I also have several artsy-creative interests. Most of the technical folks I know have a hard time writing, and what they do write can be rather arid.

So just TRY to characterize me. Bwahahaha!

11. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

I suppose the closest would be "One Who Never Lose[sic] Faith." I believe in our stories, and I'm sure hard work will pay off some day, somehow. Now, since I'm on some pretty heavy painkillers pretty much 24/7... does that mean I'm guilty of WUI?

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

none of the above...

13. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Nerd.
    :D

14. electric_oj

electric_oj New Member

Aren't all writers a little bit of all these? I believe Ernest Hemingway had said something to the effect of: write drunk; edit sober. I fall close to those lines, but alcohol isn't my cup of tea.

15. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

It's easy and it's not - I find writing easy, I don't have to think awfully hard to write a pretty good sentence. But now, that's just the basic skills you need. Writing a story, or a novel, is far from easy. It's damn hard work, and heart-breaking too. So there, it's easy and it's not.

Misunderstood? Nah, I'm under no illusions. I'm more likely to question whether my work is good enough, in that sense I'm eager to learn. I'd say I'm pretty blessed with a good measure of confidence as well as self-doubt haha. Just enough to keep believing, to truly know that I am a good writer - and just enough doubt to keep me listening to critique and being open to change things even if I love them.

Procrastinate? Not really. My longest break was a month when I was writing my novel and that was due to burn out. Otherwise my breaks lasted about a week each time before I got back to work. I was nearly writing everyday. Although right now I'd say I am procrastinating - I don't have a story and I'm chewing over some ideas, but it's too hard to start. I haven't quite recovered from my last novel lol.

Lifeline likes this.
  16. Anthony Martin

Anthony Martin Active Member

drunk

17. squishytheduck

squishytheduck New Member

Werd.

18. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

The One Who Drinks Copious Amounts of Coffee

Cave Troll likes this.
  19. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I'm probably the a cross between the dreamer/procrastinator.

Heh, is this a common one?

20. Nee

Nee Member

And the one who's so tired of bullshit that they'd vomit, if their stomachs weren't already empty from the last puke session.

*though, I suppose things could be worse. At least I'm not bitter. :)

21. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    The one who throws out the rules, drinks liberally of coffee and alcohol, and dares to be bold.:supergrin:

Fortune still favors the bold right? no. Damn!:superlaugh:

Lifeline and matwoolf like this.
  22. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

There are two stereotypical writers for me:

The Pretentious Writer
    Laments loudly about their "muse" deserting them and/or that the plebs of the publishing industry don't appreciate their genius; transcends the commercial side of writing and produces Pure Art; writes extremely purple prose; and will not hear a word of criticism against their "style" [which is usually a cheap imitation of a writer such as Hemmingway].

Rarely, if ever, actually finishes a project.

The Insecure Writer
    Constantly frazzled, obsessive over every piece of critique or every rejection, always second-guessing themselves and has serious imposter syndrome whenever they have a bit of success.

Writes beautifully but despairs of ever producing something worthwhile because they think everyone else is so much better.

23. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

The night janitor sits in his portacabin, sips coffee, sweeps @cavetroll away with his foot.

'Go CT, go away and play, my boy,' he says. 'Thank goodness for solitude.'

The janitor rests on his camp bed. Enjoys the silence, peace and suddenly @Cave Troll leaps through the window, another bone finger held in his filthy jaws.

'Nahhhg, naggh, no,' cries the janitor, sits and smokes a cigarette, again and again.

Cave Troll likes this.
  24. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

I am the one who knocks.

25. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

THE ONE WHO WORKS THREE JOBS TO SUPPORT THEIR HABIT
    Writing, not drugs. Writing is an expensive addition. To pay bills and keep writing, this person cobbles together three other jobs which actually do pay.

Catrin Lewis likes this.