The Writers Block Thread

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Sapphire, Sep 21, 2006.

1. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

Music is another good way, though I find that music with words makes it hard to concentrate. I tend to listen to stuff like Yanni, Kitaro, some classical

2. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Flawless Tip.

When you understand what story you want to write but are having difficulty with putting some chug into it then a good whole day at the library studying similar subject matter - I guarantee - will have those creative juices overflowing.

3. Hadrien

Hadrien New Member

Social interactions.
    When you write, you're really alone, you need a change of pace when you're getting the writers block.

4. The Reaper

The Reaper Banned

Wise words.

Id go with the music but more as Indi says the classical stuff.

5. Bartholomew

Bartholomew New Member

My writer's block is caused entirely by my addiction to forums. I unplug my modem when I want to write. :)

6. ariella

ariella New Member

in a home full of wonderful and loving people I ca
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I hate writer's block. My novel has come to a total stand still for the first time in a year.

I'll give your suggestions a go, oh I hope they work. Hmmm library.....never thought of that.

7. Naomi Star

Naomi Star New Member

Hi all! :)

I didn't really see another thread like this...course, I could just be blind.

Anyway, we've all caught it at some point, and some of us have gotten remedies for it as well. I suffer from the ill fate of Writer's Block, and it's lasted for far too long.

What are some ways to help clear your head for a fresh start?

Share some experiences?

Thank you!
    -Naomi Star

8. Naomi Star

Naomi Star New Member

Heh, that's a very unique way to try and solve it...I may try that. I'll tell you what really gets me--I get writer's block mainly when I lack in coming up with ideas for character motivation. I want this person to this and join the party...but why?

And here I am. Still wondering. Music doesn't seem to help, and waiting it out hasnt seemed to help either. Of course, I'm too proud to ask anyone for a solution, because then the author didn't think it up. Does that make sense? Oy vey, I'm so stuck!

9. Robert

Robert Banned

I read once that there's no such thing as writer's block. I haven't had it since.

Cheers,
    Rob

10. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Could you elaborate on this?

11. Naomi Star

Naomi Star New Member

Sure, oh and please forgive my poor grammar. "I want this person to do this"

I have a character in my story that is a key character, and he needs to join the party on this little adventure. Not only that, but he could be called "The second main character". He's the heroine's lover, but he is the general's son, and he is under order by the king to join their party, but make it not suspiscious. So, I need to think of the reasons he gives them as to why he is going to keep travelling with them, instead of the real reason, which is that he is spying for the king. (he eventually becomes good, though.)

I thought of maybe having them meet him not as the general's son, but as another person at first, when he's already been ordered to go undercover. Does that make sense? It's just difficult to come up with sensible reasons that can fool the readers, who don't know his identity till towards the end.

12. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

It sounds like his alibi is already set up. What other reason would there be for a guy to attend a party other than to accompany his lover?

13. Naomi Star

Naomi Star New Member

Oh, sorry, I should have mentioned that he becomes her lover on the trip.

14. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

to me, so-called 'writer's block' is akin to 'jet lag'... both are the products of self-inducement... if you don't believe they exist, they won't...

i've traveled literally all around the globe and too many times to too many places to count... and i've never had the much lamented 'jet lag' because i just tell myself it's whatever time of day it is wherever i am at the moment and don't even think of that silly 'body time' nonsense... when i get to my destination i simply do whatever i'd do anywhere at that time of day/night and never have a problem... if it's daytime and i'm a bit tired from a 22 hour series of flights, i might go to bed a bit early, is all... and i wake up no worse than i do any morning...

when writing, if i hit a snag that i can't manage to get past right away, i just work at it till i do... i might go back into the story to see if i took a wrong turn somewhere or if a change of this or that will help solve the dilemma... but i don't call it 'writer's block' and do nothing!... if i'm stumped on where to go next in the story, i might turn to another piece of work for a bit and come back to the stubborn one later, with a fresh eye... but i'd never call that 'writer's block'... all it is, is the normal process of being a writer!...

bottom line?... think of yourself as 'blocked' and you will be... don't, and you won't!

what most folks call 'writer's block' is merely laziness or lack of motivation/dedication... and for that, there's no cure other than changing your mindset...

15. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Right now I have four big stories on the go. They're all practice so its not like I'm working on a deadline. I'm also willing to write up short stories. Considering my lack of deadlines this makes avoiding writers block very easy.

If I'm suffering writers block with the story I want to work on, I'll just go to another story. If I can't write that one I go to the next. If I have writers block for all of them, I start writing a short story.
    When I have absolutely no ideas for anything, I'll read a newspaper. One of these tactics always works.

But again my situation is different than most writers who have deadlines or only want to write one particular story.

There was one time I had left my fantasy story alone for too long because of writers block. I copied Mammamaia's trick. I simply sat at the computer and looked at the lone idea I had to work with, which hadn't been cooperating for the last two weeks. Then I started typing. I didn't like how it was coming out at first, but I didn't let myself stop.
    It turned out into one of the better chapters of the story.

Looking that over it seems pretty useless advice, but thats how I deal with it.

16. ariella

ariella New Member

Well I have been sufferring writers block for a few years now which is why my poetry is so shabby. Also why I gave up on the story I was writing, went from not bad to burn status in like a week, yikes.

I have not yet found a way to over come it but that is why I joined here, hoping that somehow it owuld help overcome the problem. Who knows it may work.

17. Gateship

Gateship New Member

I agree that writers' block is self-induced. When you're feeling 'blocked' it's no good moaning about it. The only cure is to sit and write anything. Go back to your school days and write about what you did over the weekend. Pick somewhere you know well, like a park, and describe it. Get the words flowing again.

It really does work. I know because I forced myself just the other day when I was convinced I had nothing to write. An hour later and I had 1500 words.

If you're stuck on a particular scene, write a different one. Or something else entirely. It's easy to feel 'blocked' when you're in a rut.

18. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Since I started writing in mid-November I was writing about 1500 word stories or chapters every two or three days. In December it was almost every night. And most of it was at least readable.
    Then in January I went away for a month long course, which curtailed my writing somewhat. But I was still writing.

Now I've run into a problem. My Grandfather and Uncle both died last week. I really don't care about that, I barely knew them. Unfortunately it hit my Mom kind of hard. I'm also looking for a teaching job overseas, which will be my first big trip since University almost a year ago, and my first real job that will set the tone of my entire future.

So the stress has kind of gotten to me. I have plenty of ideas. I have two serial stories I am currently working on and I'm already behind schedule. There's no money, or time tables involved, but I did have a fairly strict personal schedule. Now anytime I try to type something I can't seem to think of the proper words and what I do write is doggerel.

I'm not looking for pity or anything. Just has anyone else ever dealt with this type of writers block before, and if so how did you get over it?

19. Myst

Myst Active Member

Nope, sorry. My experience has as of late not acheived enough to offer empathy.

...I only have an extremely unrelated case, want me to tell you about it? Probably not, but I'll do it anyway.

I'm quite a bit younger than you, and once I hit a block in my poetry. Because of this I stopped trying to write, and it got worse. Eventually I just stopped writing creatively for the most part. Then, I happened to try again this year, and my creativity seems to have returned along with regular churnings of that part of the noggin.

Yeah, so, wish you luck with your writer's block, either way.

20. ariella

ariella New Member

I have had this exact thing happen to me, it is never easy.
    Here is a few things I have done myself to help and it did for me although I can't say it will work for anyone else.
    Ok well I have found that when I have writer's block I just play on words, write down in a scrap book anything that comes into my head at all, even pictures. Sometimes the page is full of me going blah blah blah, other times I end up with some pretty good stuff in it. I dunno seems to have really helped me of late.
    Another way is to release any stress and tension that you are going through, it can sometimes contribute to writers block. Go for a walk, clear your mind, maybe read some books or watch some movies that your topic is about.
    But yeah just relax, it will not last forever. I had writer's block for a few years and in doing these simple things I have now overcome it...but what works for one person, may not always work for another.

Hope this helps in some way...

Ariella :)

21. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Myst, yeah thats what I'm afraid of. I'm a horrible procrastinator. So I need to keep writing or else it could take another 7 years before I start writing again.

Ariella thanks for the advice. I've never had to use those writing exercises, but what the heck, I'll give it a shot.
    Hopefully once I get a job my mind will clear up. The movies, books, and other methods aren't helping, and with the temperature being below minus 30 celcius going for a walk isn't gonna happen. :)
    I'll let you know it your method works.

Cheers

22. ariella

ariella New Member

Yeah ok well definately don't go for the walk then......
    I never thought of using writing excercises before either, but after having writers block for around 4 years, I felt drastic times called for drastic measures and writing is a major part of my life so I needed to do something.
    But yes defiantely let me know how you go with it.
    Take care and I hope you overcome your block soon, just don't sit and stare at the screen going crazy, it will only make things worse so I have noticed in my time.

Ariella

23. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

I am a strong believer in yoga. It kicks your butt(if your doing it right) and totally relieves your mond and body of stress. If you get desperate enough maybe you can try it? good luck with your troubles and condolences to you and your family.

24. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Wordwizard, can't say I'm a fan of yoga. But I do agree that exercise does help clear the mind. So I will probably start exercising again. I could use to lose some weight anyways.
    Thanks

25. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Just to let everyone know I have finally broken my writers block. Took some different methods to do it though.

First I had a friend write up a bunch of different sentences, picked one at random and started writing. The story wasn't very good, but I did write most of a short story.

Unfortunately I just didn't feel like writing after that. I was writing better but didn't really want to.

Then I got some books I hadn't read before, by an author I really liked, which gave me some really good ideas. Also my Mom was feeling a lot better after attending a double funeral and saying good bye to her brother-in-law and father.

But I still didn't feel that burning urge to write. So I went back over the sentences I had tried first. Found one childish little rhyme that gave me a good idea for the writing contest on this board.

So I just sat down, played some really depressing music, and started typing. You can see my finished work, hot off the press, on the newest contest thread.

So I think my writers block is officially over.
    At least I really hope so, it was getting really frustrating.