The Z-Well Saga: Mandala

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Pheonix, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Exzalia

Exzalia Banned Contributor

Kate was about to ramble on about the movies she was watching when the warning sounded. "Um...are we at war with someone?" Kate asked scratching her head.

2. Crumpets

Crumpets Senior Member

"501! Assemble in the hangar ASAP!"
    Four's brows furrowed slightly at the order. This could be problematic. Four passed one final glance at Cucumber, struck him across the head with the rifle again, and ran for the hangar.

3. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Cucumber picked up his massive rifle and happily followed Four. He didn't no were they were going but he was happy to have made a friend.

4. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Essie Truett

Essie yawned when the announcement sounded, that had been much too quiet. Where was the yelling? The blaring sirens? The gunshots in the hallways? The war cries? The splintering of wood as men ran through doors?

Odd...and kinda boring.

"Um...are we at war with someone?" The girl asked scratching her head.

"That would be the Arcadians," Essie replied. "They are much nicer dead."

Essie adjusted her backpack, her bombs at the ready. "I guess we should get moving."

5. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Susanna Elliot

"501! Assemble in the hangar ASAP!"

Suzy stripped off the nightwear she'd just put on and jumped into her flightsuit with the speed only a trained soldier could achieve. She came out the bathroom and sprinted past her new roomate and Essie and towards her ship. "No rest for the weary huh, Commander?" She teased as she passed James and clambored into her fighter. It would be annoying wearing the helment with wet hair, but it wouldn't be the first time.

--------------------------------
    Doc

"Attention, we've just received a distress call from the colony of Illien. It is under siege by the Arcadian fleet, and the Z-well is in the area. We are plotting a jump and expect to arrive within the hour. Now, I know it's already been a long day for many of you, but it's about to get longer. All hands, prepare for battle."

Doc looked up at the intercom, his shirt half-unbuttoned. With the smallest of groans, he re-buttoned his shirt and grabbed his bullet proof vest. A trained medic met him in the hallway with a pack containing the supplies he'd need to perform on-the-field medicine. "What ship?" He asked a soldier who was directing traffic.
    "The 334, Sir. Good luck."
    "And you, soldier."
    Doc shifted the pack on his back and strapped himself into his usual spot on the transport ship. He worried a little about the condition these soldiers were in. It was already late, and many were tired from the earlier day's seige. But they were well trained. Some of the best were on this ship. If anyone could push through a possible all-nighter, it was them.

6. Exzalia

Kate unsure on what was going on followed Suzy around like a puppy "Hey Suzy...um...I seem to be out of the loop so to speak. What exscatly is going on here?" Kate looked at the commander, "What exactly are we fighting?"

7. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

"Ready to jump sir." An ensign announced.

"Engage!" Admiral Serence shouted, followed directly by the lurching stretch of a hyperspace jump. 5 minutes later, everyone felt it again as the ship returned to normal space...

Right in the middle of a massive space battle with a beautiful blue green planet below.

The full force of the Arcadian Fleet was here, 150 ships strong. The UEC Fleet stationed at Illien, the 52nd was comprised of 94 capital ships, each equipped with the best technology the UEC had to offer. But against the numbers the Arcadians brought to bear, they just couldn't hold out.

In the distance, a UEC ship's Galifre drive went critical, causing the ship to glow bright blue for a moment then fracture into pieces as it was ripped apart by the gravitic forces inside.

"Incoming hail sir, it's admiral Muo Jin."

"Put it up." Serence said.

"It's good to see you Ecthelion!" Admiral Muo Jin's face appeared on the screen. "The Arcadians are hitting us hard, and they haven't even brought out their biggest guns yet," He shook his head. "We need help on all fronts, but if you can spare a few ground teams, the Orbital MAC station control is under assault on the surface." The ship on the other side of the viewscreen rocked as it was hit.

"We'll provide any assistance we can." Admiral Serence said, "Hang in there Jin."

-----------------------

"No rest for the weary huh, Commander?"

James smiled. "Nope." He said as he stuck a stimulant syringe into his arm. "I'm getting to old for this," he said, shaking his head.

"What exactly are we fighting?" James looked at the girl.

"Still fighting the Arcadians... Same story for the last 200 years..." He again shook his head, then buckled himself into his fighter.

"Where have you been..." Jacob asked her as he ran up. "All my life?" He said, looking Kate up and down, flashing her his most charming grin. "But seriously, you don't know about the Arcadians? The splinter faction that broke off from the UEC about 200 odd years ago and have been holding a grudge against us, just because we shot first... nothing?" He asked. Then he ran to a panel, a moment later another fighter lifted up from a trap in the deck. "I swear, if that idiot Four wrecks my baby, I'll kill him..."

"If he wrecks it, there's a good chance you won't have to," James responded.

8. Exzalia

Kate paused for a moment. "We're still fighting them? 10 years alone really put's things into perspective. What a bloody waste of time and resources."

"Tell me about it." Gale walked up to them frowning, "I have no doubt we would have been rescued years ago if the energy spent on killing each other was spent on bettering humanity. Maybe our friends wouldn't have died."

9. Crumpets

Crumpets Senior Member

Four arrived at the hangar with silent footsteps. He went directly to- Oh. Crap. He cleared his throat and walked abashedly to James. "Commander... where's my fighter?"

10. Pheonix

James

"Commander... where's my fighter?"

"Four, you're in Five," James said absently.

"That ship is my baby, only used for special occasions! Take care of it or I'll kill you!" He shouted, shaking his fist.

"He's serious." James added.

"I am." Jacob said, then glared at Four as he closed his cockpit.

11. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Cucumber stepped in with his happy smile. "Hi Captain Kangaroo James!" He exclaimed happily

12. Crumpets

Crumpets Senior Member

"That ship is my baby, only used for special occasions! Take care of it or I'll kill you!"
    "I'm sorry?" Four was completely puzzled. Never before had he heard of a fighter plane being one's child, let alone bore by a man.

13. Pheonix

James

"Hi Captain Kangaroo James!"

"It's you again... right... okay um... Load up on the 334 Corsair!" James called, pointing to the dropship in the next bay. "There should be a Doctor on that ship, Doc Payne. Find him and stick with him. Don't let anything happen to the old guy, alright? Can you do that?" James asked, smiling a little as the stim kicked in. He wasn't in such a bad mood anymore. But, something about Cucumber just made him feel like he needed to use small words...

The ship rocked as a stray MAC round went sailing past, close enough to graze the shield.

"Alright people, there's a battle going on! Everyone ready to launch in one minute!" he called to his squad. Then looking at the two newcomers, "I'm sorry about what happened to you, but now really isn't the time... If you can be of some use somewhere, I suggest you find that spot," Then he pulled down his cockpit shield and started up his fighter.

Nearby, the 334 was prepping for launch, taking on it's last few passengers for the bumpy ride down to the MAC control facility planet side.

14. Crumpets

Crumpets Senior Member

Four entered the child-ship half-breed. He was still confused, but he also felt absolutely drained. Extended use of the mod was strongly advised against- its dependence on natural energy was typically an advantage, but became a nightmare when the hours added up. Less than a minute of dozing off and awaking with a start, Four decided he couldn't keep it on. He'd destroy the man's child should he be so irresponsible. So, with an ever familiar chain of thoughts, the sparks tracing through his entire body pulsed for the final time that day.

And it hurt.

Four was instantly reminded of the previous battle. He gritted his teeth and grunted slightly as he pulled the straps around his doubly injured shoulder and locked down his throbbing side. Every breath made his entire frame scream for mercy, yet his eyes were set straight in front of him. No mistakes.

15. Exzalia

"I'm going to go explore." Kate strolled of leaving Gale to ponder the meaning of everything. As she moved through the docking bays she started to follow a group of soldiers around curiously. As they were preparing for battle a commander cursed.

"What do you mean she's sick!"

"She contracted something, I don't think she will be able to fight with the ground assault," and officer replied.

"That means this squad is short handed, and most of them are exhausted." the Commander seemed troubled. Kate was walking by minding her own business when a soldier, young and nervous boy ran past her, accept at the last moment she turned into his path. The boy crashed into her sending both of them to the ground. Suddenly objects the boy was carrying were flung into the air.

Not one of them touched the ground. Kate acting with out thinking caught all ten bolt pistols from sitting position showing a skill and reaction time never before seen.

The commander blinked in astonishment. "You're a soldier, why arn't you preparing for battle?" he suddenly snapped.

"What?" Kate said handing him the weapons.

"your a soldier, no mere civilian could carry ten bolt pistols much less catch them mid air!"
    Kate was now stuck, had she revealed too much how would she explain her amazing abilities? perphaps.

"Um...right! mods are a powerful thing...hahaha" The commander nodded. "Well suite up! we are leaving soon!"

16. Pheonix

"All stations, launch in 1 minute!"

The 501st was the first out the hangar. "Alright, keep tight, we're running interference for the frigates today people! Keep enemy fighters and bombers off their backs so they can do their jobs! Four, that ship you're flying has a heavier arsenal than the last one." James radioed.

"If you have to, it has a heavy plasma bomb launcher hitched to the underside." Jacob explained begrudgingly. "It's a slow projectile, but it'll work well against Arcadian frigates and slower craft. The downside is the recharge time. Use it wisely sonny!"

"Contacts at 12 o'clock. Accelerate and engage!" James rocked his fighter forward with an afterburner burst, then started unloading on the lead ship of a bomber wing that was going after the UEC frigates.

-------------------

"Hold on ladies!" The pilot of the 334, same one as before, shouted. His name was Garcia. "Prepare for some chop!" Then the ship lifted off and flew out the hanger, making a beeline for the planet's surface, particularly a small island chain near the equator.

17. Exzalia

"Kate? Kate!, where did she go?" Gale walked around the ship looking for his sister, he seemed worried like a cat who just lost her kittens.

Kate on the other hand was strangely calm, she was going into battle but no trace of fear or even slight worriment was on her face, her stoic almost uncaring disposition unnerved the other soldiers most of whom had never seen her before.

18. Love to Write

Suzy

"Contacts at 12 o'clock. Accelerate and engage!" James said into the radio.
    "Roger, that." Suzy replied hitting the accelerator and sending a barrage of bullets into the hide of a near-by enemy fighter. She felt the familiar sense of nausea as the stimulant kicked in. Something in them always made her sick but sometimes it was unavoidable.

Suzy's mod sent out a warning and she rolled her fighter to the left as a missle flew by. She jammed the brakes and the archadian flew by. A few bullets later, it exploded silently in a multitude of colors, and her fighter flew past. To her right she saw fighter #5 with two archadians on it's tail. "Four, two archys on your six. I'm on intercept."

19. Crumpets

Crumpets Senior Member

"Four, two archys on your six. I'm on intercept."

Four grunted in response and turned his reverse boosters to max. One of the Arcadians flew hazardously past Four, nearly clipping him with his wing, and had his reckless habits instantly drilled out of him by Four. The other one managed to stop in time, ending up directly beside Four's fighter. Yet, while the Arcadian fighter had brought his fighter to a stop, Four had kept his fighter in reverse, and soon the second Arcadian found hundreds of unwanted guests in his cockpit.

20. Pheonix

The Ecthelion's frigates were advancing on the nearest Arcadian cruiser, launching salvos of missiles and weakening it's shields. Then, there was a pulse as it's shields were overwhelmed, and it was almost immediately destroyed by Illiens orbital MAC platforms.

Off a little way's the Ecthelion fired it's massive double barrel MAC's, rocking the ship and shredding a smaller Arcadian battleship into molten pieces.

James shot down an Arcadian fighter, then noticed a wing of odd looking fighters moving in on them.

"I think we got trouble..." he said as the wing of Arcadian fighters closed range rapidly. There were not members of the rabble, James could tell by the precise formation they flew, and the ship designs. This was an elite squad, just like the 501st. "Everybody, keep sharp, looks like we've got some competition!" There were five ships, and each and every one flew like an ace.

"Aw, c'mon, we can take em!" Jacob exclaimed then boosted forward.

"That's the spirit, now don't get killed."

----------------------

The 334 had made it through the orbital battle, and was now descending through the atmosphere, it's hull glowing from the friction.

"Hold on, just a little more!" Garcia called to his passengers. "And..." he paused, then the shaking stopped and it got noticeably cooler in the ship. "We're through!"

There were sighs of relief from some of the younger soldiers in the ship. Then everyone started checking their guns, things were about to get violent.

A minute later, the ship touched down, and gunfire and explosions could be heard outside. The bay doors opened up onto a beach at the base of a small hill. They had landed on a small island surrounded by a crystal blue sea. There were soldiers lying dead in the sand already. There was a fierce battle taking place between the Orbital MAC control facility at the top of the hill, and invading Arcadians. And the passengers of the 334 had just arrived, right in the thick of it.

21. Exzalia

Kate stepped out into the middle of battle, she looked more curious than blood thirsty. The bodies falling around her not even causing her to flinch.

"I have done worse things then kill."

She raised her bolt rifle and with the speed of a cyborg and the accuracy of a sniper, she began picking off enemies in a calm and almost mechanical fashion.

"1...2...3...4"

As bodies fell Kate began to count them, in truth she was keeping track of her ammunition.

"9...10"

the eleventh enemy fell dead with a bullet through his visor, people began to notice the lone rookie slaughtering the enemies so effectively, she was noticed by both enemies, and allies alike.

22. Love to Write

Doc Payne
    Doc blinked in the sudden daylight as the shuttle door opened. It was a battlezone. And a hectic one at that. Two soldiers when down the moment they exited the shuttle. Doc un-clasped his buckle and grabbed his medical gear out of the overhead compartment, slinging it onto his back. He grabbed his gun, cocked it, and sprinted out of the shuttle towards cover. To many men already lay dead, and too many more were going to die before this was over. But if he could save one, just one...everything he'd sacrificed to be the best damned Doctor on this fleet...would be worth it. Almost.
    Doc saw several familiar faces. A few of these soldiers he'd been fighting with, for the past 7 years. He'd saved all off their butts one time or another, and he was bound to do it again in the future. He caught sight of a face that was familiar, but not because he'd fought with her before. "Kate? What the hell are you doing here? No way the commander authorized to you go on mission already." He ducked instinctivly as a bullet clipped a rock by his head.

23. Love to Write

Susanna Elliot

"Aw, c'mon, we can take em!" Jacob exclaimed then boosted forward.

"That's the spirit, now don't get killed."

Suzy's fighter rocket forward towards the elite squad of Archy. She painted her target on the fighter with red strips down it's wings and let loose a barrage of bullets before rotating quickly to the right to avoid the bullets sure to come back at her.

24. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Essie Truett

As a passenger of the 334, Essie had certainly found the trip to be entertaining. Watching the young soldiers faces as they had soared down to the ground had been comedy at its finest.

Running down the ramp and towards cover, the sound she'd heard since she was seventeen came to her ears. The sound of pain, dying; loss of hope. Not to mention, the smell of glorious victory.

Being on the opposite side still felt strange to her, but change was good. A world without change was boring. Essie crouched low and unlatched her military backpack, pulling out one of her unique bomb kits. This was going to be fun.

25. Exzalia

"Oh hey payne." Kate said rather cheerily, "I'm actually not supposed to be here the commander mistook me for a soldior, so..I'm here hahaha..." A bullet whizzed past kates head, but she didn't duck, she just shot the guy before he could pull the trigger again.

"When we get back to the ship, we should watch a movie!" Kate beamed as she dispatched another soldier with a shot to the knee cap.