1. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Dumdumdidum! Wedding Bells and the rest!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SeaBreeze, Mar 19, 2008.

Well. I am engaged and even though we kinds set a sort-of date for 2 years, I wana know if anyone has any hint, tips and ideas! What awsome weddings have you been to and what has been the worst? What did you like, or do like, about weddings and what don't you like about weddings. So that's the topic. Weddings, weddings, weddings! I wana know your likes and like-nots and anything helpful.

And did you know it took me a week to work out what bonboneirres (sp?) meant? arg! the trials and tribulations are gona be worth it..... right????:confused::D

2. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

congratulations DOZ!

I am so happy for you. I have heard weddings are very very hard to plan and coordinate. Good luck with that. Just be happy you have two years to plan it all-which will make it 100times easier.

-The worst wedding I have been to had the crappiest music for dancing. You want something all ages can enjoy.

-Also I know that kids sometimes can be in the way so if you get sick and tired of those random kids coming up to you and peeking under your dress you should set up a little play center in a far off corner. All the families will thank you, because they will be able to enjoy themselves as well.

Have disposible cameras on each table so people can take pictures of each other or ones of you when you arent looking. I have seen some amazing photos come out of this, but I have also heard some horror stories of guests taking the cameras into the bathroom...and you can imagine the rest.

I think a bottle of wine at each table you should provide but the rest of the liquor should be bought by the guests.

My friend played a game where if the guests wanted the newlyweds to kiss they had to pay a dollar to them or however much they thought it was worth. Some people shelled out 200 bucks and the newlyweds makes some great cash that night.

Let us know how the plans are coming along. I for one would love to hear all about it.
    cheers ww

3. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Congrats! Being a younger person still, I would have know idea how to plan or hold a wedding ceremony. My cousin won a very cool wedding package from the radio 2 years ago. It was a pretty nice wedding.

4. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I have absolutely no idea, but best of luck with the planning - apparantly that's the most stressful part :) Torana seems to have a pretty good idea of how a wedding should go though ;)

5. lessa

lessa New Member

Congratulations.
    Don and I eloped and it was the most wonderful day of my life except Don hollered at me.
    I left my glasses in the restaurant and he was afraid they would be stolen.
    Other than that it was perfect.

One huge wedding we went to was a double wedding for two sisters. Guests didn't know each other or hated each others guts. Some dressed up people saying were guests came in and walked off with a lot of the more expensive gifts.
    Another drinks were provided by the father of the bride and a few fights broke out among the drunks. (have a cash bar.)

Most of all have fun and remember it is your day. Not your parents, not his parents, not even granny and grampa. It is for you and your husband. Stick together and paste a smile on your face for the ones who would love to see you fail.

6. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

Congratz and good luck with it all!

I've never been to a wedding...

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Heh - Well, there IS one wedding I often wish I had skipped, but then I wouldn't have my wonderful kids.

DOZ, may your wedding be the polar opposite. :)

8. Hulk

Hulk Banned

Congratulations, Doz. I hope you have the best wedding ever.

9. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I'm pretty sure you want me to come to the wedding...

lol

I kid

Congratulations dropbear

I'm oh so happy for you, for cereals

I get all excited when I hear someone is getting married

makes my face emmulate the following expression:

= D

10. AWR

AWR New Member

When we got married we kept it simple. We booked a local hall and got our local tennis club to do the catering (a great way to get more friends to the wedding!).
    We provided alcohol and lots of soft drink. Tons of food (tennis club again). Told the tennis club guys to join in and doubled the party.
    Apparently after we left our guests got treated to some impromptu entertainment as just the week previous a community talet show was held and some of the acts did an encore performance (spitting that we missed that).

11. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Congratulations!!!!

I just got married last weekend and I thought my wedding was fabulous.

We got married in the bookstore where we met and the reception was at the bar of the Cantina where we went for coffee after the bookstore closed.

We worked really hard to have a wedding that didn't put us into debt. Brought the whole thing in at just under $1250. (Called our nifty-swifty-thrifty wedding.)

One little trick that someone told me about. When you are dealing with vendors and caterers -- NEVER tell them it is for a wedding. Really only the baker needs to know that. When you say the word wedding, the price goes up 10-25%.

Most caterers will start you off with a really crappy menu -- their lowest price -- and when you turn up you nose at it, they hit you with their deluxe package. They always have things in the middle. Beat them about the head and shoulders with your shoe until they tell you about the mid-range options.

I'll add more as it comes to me and I have time.

Newlywed Rose

12. Kit

Lol that's what my dad's always said since the divorce.

I guess the most important thing about the wedding is that its yours, you need to make sure that you enjoy it, your day. :)

13. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

DOZ congratulations darling, to you and your beloved partner. It is most wonderful news my friend. :) I really am so happy for you!

I've been to quite a few weddings and each was very unique. Two garden weddings, which were very beautiful, there was a beach wedding (the wind picked up and we all got wind burn, not fun) but it was a lovely wedding till that happened, the rest have all been in churches.

The most unique thing I have seen at a wedding was the flower girl dressed and an angel and the page (i think that is correct) boy dressed as a devil, it was cute though and very memorable.

Another thing yet rather expensive I have seen at a wedding I went to, was the bridal party, at the moment the bride and groom placed the rings on each others hands, let white doves out of cages to fly off. I was beautiful and the parents of both the bride and groom threw red and white rose petals in the air. But it cost them quite a bit to do that....

Honestly DOZ, the only thing that can make the day perfect, as there is bound to be something go wrong, is that you and your fiance are both there, looking into each others eyes, saying your vows and creating that everlasting bond between you both.

I pray that the day goes really well and extremely smoothly. But as long as you and your partner are there, vowing your eternal love to each other then nothing else matters at all. For once you are at the alter my dear friend and looking into his loving eyes, nothing else in the world matters at all except for you and him.

May you both be blessed with many happy days to come :)

14. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Congrats!! And thanks for the tips! :)

And everyone- cheers for the warm wishes and ideas. It's awsome. and hey- more ideas the merrier!

Cogito- Thanks :)

15. Kit

Some good tips there about the catering, i've noticed that about prices too...

I like the pretty garden weddings and that sort of thing too, i'm not a huge fan of churches but I think that's just me.

16. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Thing is, I'm not sure about now but I might not be able to get married in a church because- horrors- I wasn't baptised. My mum doesn't really follow religeon and well, when the priest said that we all had to go to church for a year she decided not to get us baptised. I mean, it's sort of silly and a waste of time to go to a service and not believe in the teachings and such, right? anyhoo.... so the possibility of a church wedding is more than likely out. And our town is smallish enough that there's not much choice.

But yeah- a garden wedding might happen! ~ Leanign towards it anyways! :p

17. Torana

Well if you wanted to have a church wedding or to have the option, just give them a call and find out.

But garden weddings are very beautiful and elegant that is for sure.

18. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

One other tip: get married in flat shoes. "Trust me," said the newlywed, as she massaged her still bruised and aching toes.

19. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I got no tops or anything love but congrats !! I'm really glad for you !! :D

20. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

No idea how Christian marriages/western marriages go except the basics, so I guess I'll only wish you a hearty congrats! Remember to enjoy the day, no matter what...and think only about your beloved, after all, it's the day!

21. Sayso

Sayso New Member

Congratulations to both of you.

One thing I did for our wedding which I thought was a good idea (not my idea) was to buy some of those little note books where you can rip out pages. I then wrote one wedding gift on each page and passed the books around. As each person chose their gift (asuming they wanted to buy something), they ripped out the page with the idea on. That way there were no duplicates.

Comfortable shoes are a must.

Suggest the guests throw edible confetti - I ate what I found on us on the way to the reception because I was starving, and it's good for feeding birds.

Other than that, enjoy your day. It's for you two alone so don't let anyone make you do anything you don't want to.

Best wishes.

22. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

LOL. thanks. And as for toes.... my second toe is slightly bigger than my 'big' toe. :p....

as for conffetti- I don't think you can use it anymore. Or rice. I think. Something about the birds eating the conffetti or something :( but I'm not sure what the guests could throw. Maybe they can blow bubbles! ^.^ then again, maybe not! Don't want my lovely dress to be get stained! :D

I want comfy shoes. I'm all for comfy shoes. Thing is, no-one is goign to let me wear my rossies! :( (Australian Brand of boots- more country and farm type boots.)

23. Torana

LOL DOZ I could just imagine you wearing a gorgeous dress and then having your Rossie boots underneath :p very Australian lol

A friend of mine wore sneakers for her wedding and so did the groom and the bridal party as well. It really didn't go too well with the elegant dress she was wearing, but at least she didn't get sore feet :p lol

As for throwing stuff, that tradition isn't too often excercised from what I have seen, but if you want that at your wedding, you could always organise to have 2-4 people ready with brooms/vacuums. so that once you are gone they stick around to quickly clean it up. They might allow it if you do that.

24. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

CONGRATUALTIONS!!!!!!!!!!always a good ingredient in a wedding: a balance of alcohol and soft drinks. o and free food:D

25. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

hahahahhaa. But beware- once the tab runs out- your wallet has to come out!