1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Things that annoy me but shouldnt, part 2

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big soft moose, Sep 24, 2021.

Server load annoys me, and should - hence the new thread

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  2. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Religious people who cant accept that people just have different beliefs.
    On a group conversation with some family members, a cousin mentioned he was feeling depressed. So 2 other cousins start preaching about God and the Truth of the Word.
    I say "how about we steer clear of this topic. People on this thread may not share your beliefs"
    And the convo went down hill from there. The depressed cousin is open minded in terms if belief (same as me... There is no right or wrong way to believe). The other two kept trying to tell me that thats the devil talking and that therr is One True God and i need to know the Truth.

Uuuuugh!
    I said my understanding is different from your and thats ok. We all have different beliefs and thats ok too.
    Nope! Wouldnt let it go.
    "The others were misinformed"
    "They are lead by a false prophet"
    "Becareful what you choose to believe in, it could be the devil in disguise"
    "I hope you train your kids to know God"

Im so done!
    Im fine if thats what they believe. Im NOT fine with them saying im wrong because i dont believe the same way they do. Let me believe what i want!

deadrats and AntPoems like this.
  3. Le gribouilleur

Le gribouilleur Active Member

I get annoyed by historically inaccurate movies, movies with plot holes or movies that have too many coincidences. I should just relax and enjoy the movies that are visually appealing. A lot of the filmmakers aren't experts in what they want to depict. I shouldn't expect more from them. I really admire their ability do get a movie done, which takes a lot of skill, motivation, courage, etc.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  4. AntPoems

AntPoems Contributor Contributor

I'm not sure this belongs in this thread, because that sounds like a legitimate annoyance to me. Good luck dealing with them.

AbyssalJoey and J.T. Woody like this.
  5. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

For most religions of course this is the defining characteristic, so yeah, you really shouldn't be annoyed by it. When civilizations were being formed and trying to grow, a religion couldn't afford to be tolerant of other religions, that would mean allowing them to infiltrate and corrode from within.

w. bogart, Hasanah H and J.T. Woody like this.
  6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Quite

Homer Potvin, J.T. Woody and AntPoems like this.
  7. Chromewriter

Chromewriter Contributor Contributor

On a tangential point, I like how civ games allows for soft power (religion, culture. Etc.) as a win condition for a civilisation. Making another country think like you/allied to your beliefs is relatively the same as dominating them by war.

It's a clever way of showing how nothing in life is apolitical and that your belief can just be a statistical inclination from a different perspective. So this means while the importance of your beliefs can be powerful for you, it really means nothing in the grand scheme of things. As depicted in the game where you wouldn't even be a percentage.

AntPoems likes this.
  8. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Stellaris. Stellaris annoys me, how people constantly say it's one of the best space 4x games out there, and yet 90% of the game is like managing spreadsheets. Ground combat is just numbers flashing up, no strategy, no animation, nothing. Did none of these reviewers ever play Master of Orion (2)?!?!?

Madman and Homer Potvin like this.
  9. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Perfect weather falling on days when I have to work or am ill. Damn conspiracy is what it is.

10. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I'd second that. A lot of fun for a bit you're right about the spreadsheets. And then at some point they updated it and I had no idea what was happening... so that was the end of that.

Naomasa298 likes this.
  11. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Frosting, not icing.
    Dressing, not stuffing.
    Present, not gift.
    Squat thrust, not burpee.

And when did it switch from 'graduated from high school' to 'graduated high school'?

Seven Crowns and Catrin Lewis like this.
  12. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Yes,
    No
    Both
    Two different things (burpees, you are flat on the ground, then go into a squat thrust, then at the top of the thrust, then when you'r back on your feet, you jump)

Potato potato :D

13. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Both. A few bakeries in my neck of the woods do something called a lemon bun. It’s a brioche type bun, filled with fresh cream and a dollop of lemon curd. Out of this world gorgeous, except for the fact they spoil it with an overly sweet, tooth-stinging lemon icing that I have to try and scrape off... which is very messy to do.

146AF4BC-EDB6-4394-81B6-BABDF24F6659.jpeg

14. OurJud

This modern trend in the music industry for (what I believe is known as) undersinging. I have a great example below, but it’s this style where the singer seems to intentionally roll one word into another by not enunciating.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  15. Catriona Grace

My deadline for articles is tomorrow. Last week the computer system was screwed up. Today has been one long episode of everyone in the world deciding to bring classes to the museum and every one in the class has questions. Shouldn't irritate me, normally wouldn't (i like talking about exhibits with folks), but today when I need to FINISH what I'm writing, the constant stop and go is about to drive me over the wall. Just took time out to rant about it about. Now, once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English words...

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  16. Catriona Grace

This modern trend in the music industry for (what I believe is known as) undersinging. I have a great example below, but it’s this style where the singer seems to intentionally roll one word into another by not enunciating.

I suspect it is an equal and opposite reaction to all those years of Whitney Houston-esque emoting at the top of the lungs. That isn't to say that it's an improvement.

(Fixed it, OurJud!)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    OurJud likes this.
  17. OurJud

You really confused me with this, until I realised you were referencing a different post to the one you quoted.

18. Chromewriter

Lmao jud, I call singing like that as 'talking'.

OurJud likes this.
  19. OurJud

Yeah, Sam Smith is another one who ‘sings’ like this. Why these talentless twats ever get to become so popular is beyond me!

Seven Crowns, dbesim and Chromewriter like this.
  20. Chromewriter

While I agree, I'd also have to say we are both just outdated. We just don't appreciate it. Doesn't make us right. But let me also link another of my favourite songs from the 'yoofs' of today:

This song was the moment I became an old man watching green and making sure "no trespassers on my turf!"

OurJud likes this.
  21. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Billie Eilish and her brother are talented. The new album they put out is very good.

love to read likes this.
  22. OurJud

A rare occasion, Mr Kugelschreiber, where we’ll just have to agree to disagree.
    I dare say you’re right, but it helps keep me sane.

23. Chromewriter

Talented at what they do, not talented in the way I appreciate.

24. Catriona Grace

Okay, I have no idea in the world how that happened. I suspect it has something to do with a new laptop and awkwardness with the touchpad. :superlaugh: Happy to have made your day a little more surreal.

OurJud likes this.
  25. OurJud

There’s a radio ad doing the rounds at the moment. It’s from one of these online companies that buy cars off the general public, and the sale’s pitch of this one is that they’ll give an extra £500 on top of their offer, if you quote a particular code (which they provide in the ad).

Who falls for this shit??! Because, of course, the initial offer they make for your car isn’t going to be £500 less than the price they’re happy to pay, is it? :rolleyes: