Things that annoy me but shouldnt, part 2

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big soft moose, Sep 24, 2021.

1. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

The standard runs the other way in the U.S.: the threshold for reasonable suspicion is lower than for probable cause. Reasonable suspicion can be sufficient justification for an investigatory detention, but is not sufficient justification for arrest.

Joe_Hall likes this.
  2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Potatoes again? Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    In Japan you are always "arrested on suspicion of." The rationale is that until you are convicted it's just a suspicion, even if you walked into the police station and bludgeoned the desk clerk to death on camera whilst narrating the act on a live stream.

The right to remain silent is a whole 'nother story here, as is coercive interrogation, but it's still suspicion until convicted.

3. Joe_Hall

Joe_Hall I drink Scotch and I write things

One of the guys I served with in Okinawa was "detained" in jail for 30 days, over the course of which he was fed soup made with rice and fish heads. Day 30 they dropped all charges and released him...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reasonable_suspicion

Reasonable Suspicion cannot be used to make an arrest in the United States. This is not true of other parts of the world. However, just google "arrested on suspicion" and find any number of articles that say "Mr. Jones was arrested on suspicion of possession of drug paraphernalia". He was probably searched based on suspicion but he was not arrested and charged until the rubber bands, crack pipe, and lighter were found in his pocket. It would be correct to say "Mr. Jones was arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia", however, American journalists seem to love the word "suspicion" anytime they need to describe someone getting arrested. It is probably just an American thing and I don't know why but it grinds my gears anytime I see it in print.

4. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    There's an artist whom I follow on youtube, quite a creative and talented dude. He shows his works both in progress and finished, so it's interesting to see how he solves some of the technical issues (he does animatronic work mostly).

However, it's always just been his hands and the camera, sometimes shots that include his face, but just last week he did an explanation video and...

...he sounds like someone auditioning for a Guy Ritchie film. No "th"s, only "v"s or "f"s, don't you fink, bruvva, innit?

I didn't have an expectation of his voice, but this really surprised me.

5. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

John Force and I are almost exactly the same age. When I feel up to it, I'll take the Taurus down to the golf course and play nine holes (with cart). Force spends his weekends driving Funny Cars at 330 miles an hour.

6. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Let's see him do it on the golf course though.

7. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Like film posters, book cover design has become so... cliched and ‘nice’. No one, it seems, is brave enough to publish a book with a fresh, unique design. Just look at these from-to examples. I searched various websites to find a book on food, then headed over to amazon to check prices, availability etc, and all the covers are now different, pandering to the masses and playing it safe!

From this:
    8E8F10E0-5793-4788-AB55-AF4FA1F69B01.jpeg
    To this shit:

8B95DBD4-AE26-462D-BD47-2F8EA4D557C0.jpeg

B6F38E5D-07E0-42BC-AC17-22843E0C2D26.jpeg
    To:

8AB621DF-4E80-4C01-B09C-34CA4AB69BEB.jpeg
    And from this:

2C1DB1E4-837C-4643-8B56-EEEF8EAE9D9F.jpeg
    To this vomit stain:

67B9155E-9526-42A5-8AB7-F481A17AD7ED.jpeg

Last edited: May 19, 2022 at 6:39 PM
  8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

One of our foreign associates keeps sending me measurements in centimeters. I told them I’m an American and need the units to be rods or barleycorns but they won’t listen.

Naomasa298 likes this.
  9. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

a rod is 503cm although there’s considerable variation depending on whether you subscribe to the West Country rod or the London weighted measure.

a Barleycorn is 0.847cm

EFMingo likes this.
  10. AntPoems

AntPoems Senior Member

So, apparently my dating profile got featured or something, because when I looked at the app two days ago I had no likes, but today I have 31!

And, of course, not a single one of them looks promising. :dead:

love to read likes this.
  11. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Staff Supporter Contributor

What's funny is that I never got anyone promising until I stopped looking. Forgot I had the app. Then, suddenly, while in a heated battle with a Deathclaw on Fallout, a funny notification dings...

12. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody The Ole Frazzle-Dazzle Contributor

When guests try to guilt you into helping them outside of work....

"Well... If we're friends.... Friends help friends, right? You can come over my house and help me with my laptop because we're friends!"

..... How to politely tell an elderly woman "hey, i just met you, and this is crazy.... But lose my number, call Geek Squad maybe?"

13. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin I don't feel tardy.... Staff Supporter Contributor

Silenced pistol with all pistol and silenced weapon perks maxxed out. One shot kills everything. Not fun but effective.

OurJud and EFMingo like this.
  14. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Which Fallout are we talking about here? 4?