Things That Annoy Me, But Shouldn't

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Earp, Jul 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkinnyPuppy

SkinnyPuppy Contributor Contributor

The internet, where clear, linear, and continuous conversation has now turned into stop and go bumper to bumper traffic on Interstate Hell, South.

2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

So I'm really enjoying this book I'm reading, but I wish the author had googled Finnish surnames, which takes about a minute, and picked basically any surname (first one I found: Korhonen. Perfectly passable) and just given it to her character. I mean, I do this shit all the time. I know members of this forum do research as well. This is the title character of your goddamn book.

The reason I feel I shouldn't really be annoyed is because it feels a tad entitled and hypocritical to demand authors paid more attention to super obscure foreign naming systems when I've most likely, despite my research, butchered foreign names as well aaand sometimes the real thing just sounds/looks so damn stupid you'd rather go for that sexy pseudo-Russian name. :bigmeh:

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

It doesn't matter where you go, ALEKS/ALEX (ALEKSI, ALEKSANDER, ALEKSA, ALEJANDRO, ETC., ETC., ETC. ETC.) always works.

Even Nigeria. http://www.studentsoftheworld.info/penpals/stats.php3?Pays=NIG

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    This is why I do my homework. :p
    I spent a good five minutes looking up
    the names for my Russian character
    Zlada Volkov. Now I know that I don't
    have to worry about anyone complaining
    her name is not really Russian. :)

5. KaTrian

I'm not sure if I ever told you when I was reading your wip, but T and I also have a character named Volkova in our sci-fi wip. :D It's such a good name, though!

Cave Troll likes this.
  6. Cave Troll

Nope, you haven't until just now. :)
    I didn't know you read my WIP.
    Are you talking about the first one
    or the sequel?

7. KaTrian

It was a long time ago, so I'm not sure... But it was the one you published, I think. At least it has the same name.

Cave Troll likes this.
  8. Cave Troll

Yeah it was the first one.
    I just wish I could finish up the sequel and move on
    to something else to write about. :(

KaTrian likes this.
  9. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

You could always start planning something else at the same time as finishing your WIP. Then you don't get overloaded on death, destruction, and war...unless the next work contains a similar theme! :p

Cave Troll and KaTrian like this.
  10. KaTrian

Yeah, in fact, this character's first name is Anna, so that was a safe choice, at least. It, too, is a common name all over the world.

The poor author, bless her, also wanted to have the character communicate a bit in Finnish, and she meant to say "Anna's house" but Google Translate must've tricked her cos what she's really saying is "Give me my house." :rofl: Unless it was intentional... Hmm... :wotwot:

123456789 and Cave Troll like this.
  11. Jenissej

Jenissej Professional Lurker Supporter Contributor

Some things, people. Some things really set me on edge without valid reason, so much that I start grinding my teeth and going off on rants in forums just to avoid punching someone.
    This dude, this student who's currently working on his graduation project and who has been given a seat in my bureau for it, he's annoying me to no end and he doesn't even have to do anything for it except to exist. His stupid face, the smugness of him, the know-it-all attitude, how he looks down on me the tall bastard, the way he breathes.
    And what's he doing right now? I got no idea but whatever it is, he's got the radio on. Even though I told him, nicely, with a please could you, to use headphones when listening to music, like we all do in this damn room because we're sharing it and we don't want to annoy each other with our respective shitty taste in music. Well, at least some of us, huh?

So why am I not telling him to turn it off? Well, firstly that would require me to talk to the guy (and I'm still in the punching mood). Secondly, my harmony-craving self has been trying to ignore it for the past few days because I also wear headphones so it's not that bad, right? Wrong. I can still hear it and just because it's his music it's irritating beyond all rationality.
    He didn't have it playing out loud for some time but someday just started so I suspect he's asked the others if it's okay. Except the others are students as well and they don't really have a say so in here because it's still my frickin bureau. Bad enough they're letting all of their friends stumble in here at will like this is some damn drive in. So do I just grind my teeth and ignore it or do I play the boss and tell him to turn off his stupid (though in fact reasonably subdued) music? ARGH.

Rant over. If you actually read all of this, I apologize for stealing your time.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  12. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

When radio broadcasters say “we’re still looking for a high today of 105.”

Are you really looking for it? I picture all the radio people standing breathless in front of a thermometer waiting until 3 or 4 pm when it’s the hottest part of the day to see if it actually reaches the projected high.

Why not “still expecting” or “still waiting for”???

13. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

To Ride of this Comment, Radio DJs who talk over kick ass intros to songs on the radio... it's like shut the fuck up, I want to hear the song not you retarded ass... This is exactly why I listen to Amazon Music. No DJs.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  14. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

Funny thing is, I did a similar rant about this in regards to coworkers blasting their youtube videos in the break room while I am trying to eat.... it's like, haven't you heard of fucking headphones, I don't wnat to hear your stupid shit.

Jenissej likes this.
  15. SkinnyPuppy

SkinnyPuppy Contributor Contributor

And once you do "find it" go ahead and wrap that sumbitch up in cellophane and slam it where the sun don't shine, it's too fucking hot.:bigeek::whistle::geek:

16. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I wouldn’t think less of you for murder.

17. Jenissej

Jenissej Professional Lurker Supporter Contributor

Blaring music out loud without consideration for people around you is generally a dick move and should be punished with death by Laser Cannon.

Someone who understands. Thank you.

18. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

Tell him to turn the radio off or get the fuck out of your office. Literally using those words. Or, perhaps, their German equivalents if you prefer.

19. mashers

Yes, my young padwan. Let the hate flow through you.

20. mashers

Yes, and it's always a video containing sudden crashing, explosions and people screaming and laughing raucously. Some of the most ear-destroying sounds on the planet, all being delivered through a tinny phone speaker at absurd volume.

Death!

21. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Take a baseball bat and smash his radio whilst screaming 'get the fuck out of my office, you inconsiderate whelk molester' at the top of your lungs... its the only way he'll learn

Jenissej, Iain Aschendale and Moon like this.
  22. mashers

Aliens-ified that for you.

Cave Troll likes this.
  23. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

As we seem to be on a bit of a theme here, my next door neighbour is currently playing some music or other that I can hear very well in my flat. I didn't mind the song the first time, in fact I found it quite pleasant. The second and third time however...not so much!
    I really can't complain, as I have done to death many songs with my windows open over the last couple of months. Bet my neighbours would happily kill me by now...so I guess fairs fair...? :rolleyes:

Cave Troll likes this.
  24. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

That's a power play. If you're the one in charge, tell him to turn it the fuck off (in a matter of fact way). Otherwise, he'll know he can get away with murder. ETA: It's not really about the radio.

Cave Troll likes this.
  25. mashers

No... it's about murder!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.