Things That Annoy Me, But Shouldn't

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Earp, Jul 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Oh shit, did somebody ask a liquor cost question? That's like one third of my life....

My liquor cost is exactly 25.8%. That includes cans of Bud Light, shots of Jameson, $3000 bottles of Romanee-Conti, and Tito's, Tito's, Tito's. I sell 16 bottles of Tito's vodka a week. I sold $1100 in just Tito's drinks in a weekend once.

25.8% is essentially a 400% markup. Buy for a dollar, sell it for four. But we don't look at it that way. We look at the cost, which philosophically filters everything through what we spend... not what we make. It's an important distinction. My restaurant is going to do $2.6 million in sales this year. Guess how much of that was profit? Zero dollars. We're going to break even, which is a fucking miracle considering the state of the place when I took it over 29 weeks ago.

Here's how bar/restaurant math works:

Take a dollar and split it into one hundred pennies.

For every dollar Homer's overlords make, 31 of them pay for all the food and booze we bought (69 pennies remaining).

26 pennies go to labor cost (43 pennies remaining). That includes the GM (me), my executive chef, sous chef, sushi chef, two assistant managers, seven line cooks, four prep cooks and stewards, seven servers, six bartenders, and five-ish FOH support staff (and if you've never had the pleasure of managing 35 personalities--including three Mary Sue chefs--in a building full of open alcohol containers--go break a glass rod off in your urinary tract... that will closely approximate the experience... seriously... what I tell all new/young managers is that you earn promotions based on your own skills and abilities, but once you're in charge of people, you're judged only by how everyone under your supervision performs... it's not about you anymore... it's about everyone else, and your only job is put them in a position to succeed and to remove any obstacles that might prevent them from achieving that... ).

Probably 10 more pennies are spent to pay for chemicals, paper goods ($500 a week), toilet paper, fresh flowers, pens, computer ink, etc. (33 pennies remaining)

Take another 10 pennies and toss them at rent, utilities, permits, and licensing fees. God forbid I don't have good WiFi so my dishwashers can have Facetime sex with their wives back home in Guatemala. Not a joke. I've seen this more than once. Actually, I think that's the coolest thing ever, just don't be doing it dry storage. (18 pennies left)

And are we going to pay taxes? Payroll, unemployment, property? Bet your fucking ass we are! And will we need to maintain our equipment? Low-boys, dish machines, stove hoods, grease traps... nothing can go wrong there. A room full of fire producing devices surrounded by grease and old wiring that is wayyyyyy out of code. There go your last 18 pennies... an we haven't even addressed the money you borrowed to open the joint and how you're going to make the loan payments.

Long story short, when you go to a restaurant and order a drink or a meal you don't see all the expenses that are needed to pour the booze into a cup.

2. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

I love this sort of 'inside baseball' stuff about industries I know nothing about. I will say that I'm surprised that labor only takes up 26%.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

The biggest problem this guy is going to have—aside from loss of money and accumulation of excess product—is that former friends will run a mile whenever he approaches. I had a friend (key word: had) who started off on Amway (yep) and moved on to other similar schemes. He would actually pay visits to friends' houses to try to sign them up. Doors slammed shut (I have a few mutual friends who slammed theirs) and he's never regained the respect we had for him before he started this shit. Incidentally, he's now a Trump supporter, which is an inclination he never showed us before. I don't know. Maybe there's a gene that makes a person susceptible to scams.

4. Earp

James Patterson is worth 790 million dollars.

Shenanigator likes this.
  5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Fucking A - and if you've hired a useless moron because your boss insisted, then when she doesn't perform that is also your fault ... this closely resembles what happened to me in my last job, and is directly related to why I took my current post with more pay and no line management responsibility

Homer Potvin likes this.
  6. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Is there an applause emoji?

It's moments like this that make me want to:

a) give Homes his own show.
    b) ask Homes to do my taxes.
    c) beam myself and Homes back to wherever one of us went to high school, pay him to do my math homework, and finally get a fucking decent grade in math.

Give this man a raise, people! (But don't tell @Cave Troll and @big soft moose , 'cause it would raise their liquor costs.)

:supercool:

Some Guy, Homer Potvin and Cave Troll like this.
  7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

the thing about homers liquor cost applied to my issue is that there's no way a shot of gin and a blurt of tonic costs 26% of 11.50 ... you get about 20 shots to an optic bottle and the bottle costs £15, the tonic is about 20p per blurt.. so that's an ingredients cost of 95p which is somewhere south of 10% ... I don't have a problem with paying a 400% mark up - that's what you get fro drinking on a night out, but a 1100% mark up is taking the piss

Shenanigator and Cave Troll like this.
  8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Also by technicality the cost a restraunt pays for it wholesale, and not commercial prices for it.
    Though they do have to charge sale and liquor tax as dictated by state.

Clothing overall is the biggest ripoff when you break it down.
    A store pays anywhere from 2-10$ per shirt (depending on brand),
    and charges around 2000-5000% markup plus tax.

To be fair in terms of goods, people go out to eat more often than they
    by clothes. Though in the long run either would want to get rid of inventory
    by the end of the year to avoid paying overhead tax on left over stock.

9. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

I've wondered about this as well. A good portion of my adult life was spent either doing damage control resulting from my mother joining some scam or another or fervently trying to talk her out of signing up. I've also had several people close to me who've joined religious cults (Mom included, natch). They all had strongly addictive/compulsive aspects to their personalities, so maybe there is something to the genetics.

OT: Rogue bamboo shoots growing in the hedges out front! (Or is this a Third World Whinge?)

edit: spelling and caps and clarity.

10. Homer Potvin

That's overall for the year, and averages out the good weeks with the bad. So when it's busy as hell (like now for the Holidays) that'll drop down into the 15% range. When it's slow as fuck (like in the summer) it'll creep above 35% and my overlords burn me in effigy. They don't seem to understand that I can't tell all the cooks to go home.

Everything is my fault. That's the owner's favorite saying. Even when we had a tree blow down into the street he told me it was my fault. He was half-kidding, but he's right.

You're right. Mixed drinks cost pennies, which is why college bars make a fortune. But the liquor cost is an average of everything, and we sell a lot of martinis (5oz of booze) and high end wines that you can only mark up so far before they become prohibitive, even to the rich idiots we cater to.

Haha... you don't want that. I've been paying an accountant to do my taxes for as long as I've been able to afford one.

Nope. It's the same price. It varies a little by state, but in general, liquor is never discounted at any point in the sales chain. We occasionally get case deals though... like buy six cases get one free or something. We do that with Grey Goose. I think I bought twenty cases a few months ago and got three free. The bill for that was something like $6k, but it wasn't my money, so fuck it!

11. Cave Troll

Interesting, thank you for that bit of info.
    Though that kinda sucks you pay retail price
    for what you plan to resale.

12. Homer Potvin

It's a controlled substance so there are civil and government regulations all over the place.

13. Earp

No offense, but I've never seen a grown man who I thought didn't look stupid in a baseball-style cap, worn backward or forward.

14. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

But they keep the hair out of my face and the sun out of my eyes! What am I supposed to wear? A bonnet? A tricorn?

ETA: maybe all hats look stupid it they actually perform some practical function.

15. big soft moose

I think a tricorn sounds like a plan :D

The Dapper Hooligan and Some Guy like this.
  16. Earp

How about a nice fedora?

17. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

[​IMG]

flawed personality and Some Guy like this.
  18. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

I didn't realise it was possible to fuck up something as basic as wearing a hat. The things you learn on WF. :p

Cave Troll and Iain Aschendale like this.
  20. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Telemachus Sneezed
    [​IMG]

Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  21. flawed personality

I'm gonna go...! :brb:

22. CerebralEcstasy

CerebralEcstasy Active Member

The 5AM Club, Robin Sharma
    Some men look better in ball caps. I tend to steer clear of the ones who wear them backward. This could be a generalization, but in my experience men who wear their hats backward are a-holes. Cocked to the side, immature.

When my husband and I first met, I had to get used to him not wearing a hat. I actually found him less attractive when he took it off.

23. flawed personality

There's a dating tip, right there. :D

24. Cave Troll

:superidea:
    Buckethead.jpg

25. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Rather that than some bouffant creature in his sixties.

Present context excepted - with the Pres, an' all - 'hat guys' can be lovable. Pride in hair is not a likeable male trait. I got a relative with hair, it's an ugly man vanity.

[maybe a little over-stated, just in stereotypes y'know, no dick etc]

Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.