1. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

Books of the Devil...

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Snoopingaround, Sep 24, 2011.

Okay, does anyone know of a well-written modern novel involving the devil? Specifically, with the devil playing at least a minor role in the plot and interacting with the main character? I mentioned modern, and well-written because I already know about the various old works which are based on the old German legend and the old plays and poems from various pre-20th century authors. Thomas Mann's "Dr. Faustus" is the only book I know about so far that fits the category I am looking for, but even after some initial research there are very, very few leads in this area. So aside from that, I am not aware of any other novels written by good authors (or actually hardly any authors at all) which involve interactions with the devil. It seems the devil is not a popular character to portray, which I find strange because I think he or it would be a great antagonist in any grand story. Oh yeah, there is the Holy Bible, but like I said I am only looking for modern books...

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

The Damnation Game, by Clive Barker, is pretty good.

3. Lightman

Lightman Active Member

Norman Mailer's The Castle in the Forest comes to mind.

4. NikkiNoodle

NikkiNoodle Active Member

Not the devil, in particular, but The Scewtape Letters is right up that alley.

5. parker81

parker81 New Member

The Warhound and the worlds pain, by Michel Moorcock. It's about a man named Ulrich von Bek and his mission is to find the holy grail for Lucier. He is the first in his line to work for the devil. The von Beks have a family saying that goes "Do you the Devil's work".

6. Ravenhairedgirl

Ravenhairedgirl New Member

I don't know of many modern novels I’m afraid, I know Kelly Link has written a short story involving the Devil as a main character in her book Magic for Beginners. There is also the book I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan but I have not yet read that. I highly recommend Magic for Beginners, a great collection of strange and wonderful stories and the Devil one is so good, gives a completely different view of the pure evil being portrayed in so much art and media. He is actually quite normal, coherent etc in the story which is actually a story within a short story.

7. rainshine

rainshine New Member

faerie wars by herbie brennan has a book of the devil in it, and a realm called haell where the main character is captured and is rescued by his friends via the book which can materialise anything from haell.

8. rainshine

rainshine New Member

A long time ago I read a book, cant remember the title, it may have been called Adele though I cant find it on Amazon. This was about a talented guy whos entrance to college depended on his birth certificate, he knew if he presented it his place would be refused as his birth certificate had the words illigitimate accross it. While out walking he met a man who said he could help, for a price, he went home and the birth certificate was clear. later on in the novel he gets in to trouble again, again the man appears, he hasn't any thing to bargain with so he bargains with his daughters soul, she grows up with character defects, she is cold, argumentative, troubled. the man meets someone else who tells him its imposible to bargain anothers sole, it is not yours to bargain with in the first place. All adele has to do is pray and the deal is broken.

I dont know if any one else read this and can remember, the book it really is annoying me now.

9. rainshine

rainshine New Member

Robert Nye Faust was good too ok I am done now honest.

10. Jabby J

Jabby J New Member

Horns by Joe Hill was decent.

11. Melanie

Melanie New Member

Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice

12. Mxxpower

Mxxpower New Member

Have you read Constantine?

13. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

"The Devil wears Prada" :D

14. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

No, I haven't. Isn't the "Constantine" series a graphics novel set? I remember watching a movie with Keanu Reeves that had to do with the Devil and Hell and all of that, and I think I heard somewhere that is was based on a comic book series. Is that what Mxxpowers is talking about? The movies was okay, but it also was somewhat confusing and it was obvious to me that it must be based on some previously published series because of the lack of explanation during the movie as what was going on for much of the time. Now that I think about it, the movie sucked a little bit actually. But it did have its moments.