1. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Things to do in Edinburgh

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by matwoolf, Jun 25, 2017.

I'm the spare part on a business trip to Edinburgh.

We'll be staying in a mid-range hotel - although I'm not even getting breakfast in the deal - don't ask me why, something technical. So, I have two days of wandering around the streets of Edinburgh (on my own) to do. I'm no novice in these matters, I have walked Dublin & Amsterdam solo.

Also, it has to be a free activity, maybe something interesting that gives me material for the Friday night when I must drink whisky with Glaswegians (men).

What shall I do in Edinburgh? Serious proposals only please, I am a professional.

2. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

Climb Arthur's Seat, plant a flag. Not the English one, it's bad press. Go the wrong way and lay stones in a fairy ring, use the story of your subsequent escape from the Wild Hunt to win you many drinks in Glasgow.

matwoolf likes this.
  3. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I'll think I'll wander the National Gallery in an anorak, buy a postcard from the gallery shop. Can't see myself visiting a cafe, or anything quite so agonizing, can't even order a coffee without seizure at the till...

'What sort of coffee?'

'Urrr...urr...coffee latte cappucino espresso double frothy with cinammon tea, please.'

'There you are, Pops. £8.50, and have a nice dee.'

Or maybe visit a graveyard? Burke & Hare is Edinburgh, I believe? In the Highlands I visited a clan graveyard, really frightened myself in the glaum, gloom, glee [Scottish word]. Dusk approacheth, and the clock struck two.

Probably hope to find a tartan tea towel and Scottish rock in a safety shops for visitors/tourists, shortbread & haggis.

Tho - in Amsterdam I did visit a cafe, but afterwards was chased by gangsters through the alleys of the city. Three of them, I think so, can never be quite sure. Took hours to wear off. Dublin was easy by comparison, and the Europa in Belfast 'most bombed hotel in Europe,' was refreshing or frank.

4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Get on a bus or train to Glasgow! :) Or stay in Edinburgh and take photos.
    Seriously? I'm sure there are lots of fun things to do in Edinburgh, but to date the only one I really enjoyed was visiting the Museum of Childhood ...on a child-free day in early April. And I've always wanted to visit the Botanic Gardens, but not enough to take a trip there.

Of course I'm joking. Lovely place, Edinburgh. And it does rather knock your socks off, visually. And the cobblestone streets are picture-squeak. Lots to see and do, around various corners. If you get lost, just keep climbing. Eventually you'll get a view, and can navigate back to your hotel via the pole star, if the night is clear ...oh, wait....

More joking aside, I think there are lots of great places to eat up the Leith Walk. And less touristy trappy as well. I am not an expert on Edinburgh. I usually end up doing the pole star navigation thing, followed by a quick dash to Waverly station and back to Glasgow. Last time I was in Edinburgh I burned the bottom of my coat. Backed into a space heater in a tiny wee shop that was selling wonderful looking handmade thingies.

Have a great time.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    matwoolf likes this.
  5. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

A ghost tour! I went on one that ended up in a pub (of course) and it was great.

matwoolf likes this.
  6. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

Choose a Trainspotting tour Matty. Choose to score some smack. Choose to rob from a bookstore. Choose to be chased. Choose to score a young girl for the day and not be chaste.
    Choose to contemplate atop a big hill over the city. Choose to disappear down 'that toilet' to the slippy underworld. Choose a train ride to the Highlands. Choose a bus ride to the Port Sunshine bar for a pint and some crisps. Then choose to leave Edinburgh pronto.

Homer Potvin and matwoolf like this.