1. OnesieWrites

OnesieWrites Member

Things to include in a chapter (Dark Fantasy)

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by OnesieWrites, Jul 27, 2017.

So i'm having a bit of trouble formatting my chapters to help everything flow nicely. In a chapter i want to advance the plot, as well as do some character development, world building, set the atmosphere, entertain the reader, come to some conclusions etc, but placing all of this into a chapter is proving a challenging task as when i read my work, i find that there's either a lack of information or a huge info dump.

I have tried to balance this out by finding smart ways to give exposition relevant to the current scenario, but are there any ways you layout a chapter, techniques you use to establish information without making it boring etc?

Also, anything i should know in terms of dark fantasy, anything i should include which i might not, necessary tropes, ones to avoid etc?

Thanks!

2. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

3. ERIN N. SIMON

ERIN N. SIMON New Member

Would it help if instead of seeing it as a chapter, you see it as a scene? Set the chapter up in your mind like a movie. What does your setting look like? What characters are going to star in this particular scene (chapter)? What are they doing? Why are they doing it? Is the dialogue establishing character development? Is the dialogue consistent with their character profile. Is the dialogue capturing the emotion of the scene? Is the dialogue realistic? Is this scene relevant to the main plot? Does this help?

4. OnesieWrites

OnesieWrites Member

Like the scene of a movie eh? That helps i guess, the problem is that movies are generally shorter and therefore tend to shorten down the info they give and have the use of visual cues to give information, how could i use visual cues in a book to tell story?