Things you recently bought or got

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mashers, Sep 6, 2018.

1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

You could have said ‘specs’, ‘goggles’, or even ‘bins’ but I have no idea what the origins of the latter are.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
    AntPoems likes this.
  2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Guardian-eating, tofu-reading dormivitus Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    [​IMG]

Naomasa298 likes this.
  3. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

A duffel / hold-all / travel bag for my forthcoming short stay in Wales.

4. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Survivor Contributor

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Dorothy Sayers' One Body
    In light of my sister's passing I've taken on the mantle of being my mother's legal guardian. In getting myself oriented I began rooting through an old metal box filled with papers and miscellanea. Among that was a gold pocket watch made by American Waltham Company. Mom knew little about it except that it belonged to my father's side of the family and said I could have it. A jeweler helped me find the serial number and it was made in about 1895, and, he said, "obviously well-loved," then he wound it and set the time. My best guess is that it belonged to my paternal grandfather. My current watch is a Garmin smartwatch; I'm tempted to set that aside and begin carrying around a watch that does nothing but tick and tell time, and needs to be wound daily. Perhaps it will help me settle back toward a quieter, saner, time.

edamame, Jlivy3, love to read and 3 others like this.
  5. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Do it. Smartwatches are an abomination. My usual timepiece is a wooden Bewell watch that cost me $17.00 (with free shipping) five or six years ago. It has the time and the date, nothing more, and people seem quite intrigued by it. I've still got my phone in my pocket for when I need more information, but for my wrist?
    [​IMG]
    In the cooler seasons I carry a Seico Railway pocketwatch. No date function, but it's what the most on-time railway (Japan Rail) runs on. Nylon fob for casual wear, and a silver chain for more formal times.
    [​IMG]

Bone2pick likes this.
  6. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Search and rescue Contributor

Mr. SapereAude very kindly sent me a copy of his book on self-publishing. It is packed with information arranged in a sensible way that is easy to follow. I'm reading it during breaks taken on a major project, and will certainly incorporate some of the information next time I publish a text (the next one will probably be for that major project I just mentioned). I know that one can't tell a book by its cover, etc., but I love the cover on the book. Very clever, sir!

7. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

A packet of mechanical pencils.

Useful because sharpening them can be annoying and the pencil itself doesn’t decrease in length. Practical and economic.

37D5ADD0-C9A7-4138-BA07-4FE9652862D8.jpeg

Catriona Grace and Xoic like this.
  8. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

He’s not here yet, he’s due Friday.

72FFDDE6-1976-446E-BB93-7A9EB65C373B.jpeg

9. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    The resolution on veterinary ultrasound is getting really good these days :)

10. NobodySpecial

A breed rescue is ferrying him from Kentucky. My wife is going take the last leg of the trip and bring him home. The hiccup is in that since the run is on a weekday, they’re having trouble finding drivers to cover portions of the trek.(people work) Transport runs like this are usually done on the weekends. So, if they find enough drivers, we’ll bring him home Friday. If not, who knows. It could be Saturday-Sunday-maybe next week.

AntPoems likes this.
  11. Catriona Grace

Wishing you many happy years together.

Those transport and rescue folks are truly fine! Several years ago while I was in Arkansas, I came across a litter of five week old puppies that some soulless idiot had dumped on the side of a rarely traveled dirt road near our farm. I took them into town to the rescue group. I kept one pup for my son. Two pups were taken by OTR truckers to people in the northeastern part of the country and the rest were adopted locally. Happy ending.

love to read and AntPoems like this.
  12. NobodySpecial

And there’s always the joke that we don’t have enough stray dogs of our own, so we import more from other states.

Catriona Grace and AntPoems like this.
  13. Catriona Grace

In these days of "designer dog," what were once called "mutts" now have fancy names and correspondingly fancy prices. If I should ever decide to breed dogs as opposed to take in the ones the Lady Artemis sends us, I'm thinking of a mix between cocker spaniel, Labrador, poodle, and Bouvier de Flanders. The result will be called a cockradoodlebou.

AntPoems likes this.
  14. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

A Henry Hoover.

[​IMG]

15. NobodySpecial

Diesel is here. Let the adventure of introducing him to my other dogs and the cats begin.

16. Amontillado

Amontillado Active Member

People who dump dogs - truly wretched, unsanitary beasts. Somebody dumped two pups on the road in front of our house about 7 years ago. The first day they were barely in view, so far off in the pasture I didn't know there were two of them. Just something moving in the weeds a long way off.

The next day, I could see the two. When I tried to get closer they fled. I put out food, and over the next few days they finally got comfortable enough for me to approach them.

Once they got over whatever trauma they had endured, they were (are) the friendliest critters I've ever met. Snap, the little male, trots and darts beside me, lunging up to gently nip my fingers, never threatening injury, just playing.

Ginger, the female, is much more reserved. She has the odd habit of munching dog treats while laying on her back. The only way she can enjoy a snack is for me to fend off Snap who loves his milkbones but is easily distracted by a good tug-of-war.

How any lowlife could have cast those two wonderful mutts in a ditch is beyond me.

17. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody The Ole Frazzle-Dazzle Contributor

A computer bag to carry both my laptop and wireless keyboard in.

As i knew... My laptop keyboard cant be fixed (but at least the techy guy at work tried his best). He offered to replace the whole keyboard himself if i bought the parts needed.

Im not going to put all that money into an already expensive laptop just because 1 key decided to be a jerk....

Soooo..... Computer bag it is....

(Good news is, i go back to using my computer tomorrow!)

dbesim and AntPoems like this.
  18. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

Chocolate to fend off the winter autumn blues. :)

19. NobodySpecial

I took Diesel to PetsMart today. That might have been a mistake. He picked out a toy; we were walking past a bin of Kong toys, and he just snagged one and wouldn’t give it up. So I got stuck paying $20 for a toy he destroyed in about three minutes once we got home.

I guess Kong doesn’t represent durability anymore.

Set2Stun and love to read like this.
  20. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    A bottle of Revel Stoke Cinnamon Whisky. Discount Fireball, not quite as hot, but at 70 proof and 880 yen a bottle ($5.90, but really $8.80 in purchasing power parity) it's a nice little mixer. Cinnamon whisky & Coke, anyone?

[​IMG]

Naomasa298 likes this.
  21. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin My get up and go must have got up and went... Staff Supporter Contributor

Bleh!

22. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

"Cinnamon whisky and..."

Stop. Let me stop you right there. I only buy whisky that's certified 'cinnamon free.'

23. Catriona Grace

No, but thank you for asking. I did have honey whiskey one time that wasn't bad, but a little went a long way,

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  24. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

An Echo Show.

Been trying to use Alexa on my PC and on my phone but it just doesn't work as well, especially with my Ring doorbell. Trying to bring my home into the 21st century.

Also decided to tidy up all the cables around my computer while setting it up, instead of just plugging stuff into the first available hole (as the bishop said to the actress).

25. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Senior Member

Hyperion - Dan Simmons
    I already spoil my cat a lot, but I took it a step further - I bought her an electric blanket. Boy oh boy, does she love it. The only minor issue is that I got one that only has one setting, and it runs just a smidgen too warm, so I have to put a towel on top of it to keep it a couple degrees cooler. I highly recommend this. Spoil your animal this winter! I've never seen her more comfortable or sleep more deeply than when she's on the blanket.

kitty.JPG